How does the erBB feel about a rushed coronavirus vaccine?

Will you take a rushed coronavirus vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 70.3%

• Total voters

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
NEVER had a flu shot yet in my life. I rarely get colds and flu as it is. Last bad flu caught was like 7-8 years ago. I don't even get a cold every year. Maybe once every 2 or 3 years. I have sinus issues from surfing polluted waters 50 years, but that's a different malady.
That worked for my Wife's Aunt. Right up until she caught the flu and died.

• Wow
Reactions: bluemarlin04

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's all good until it's not.

That is my saying.

I also like the saying, A life that ends badly isn't necessarily a bad life.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
That worked for my Wife's Aunt. Right up until she caught the flu and died.
I'm more worried about my wife, as she has borderline asthma/COPD issues.

She got the flu bad in early January LAST YEAR (2019) that we had go to urgent care for. At the time urgent cares were swamped with flu patients, and we ended up having to go to a further away hospital ER instead. It too was filled with flu patients.

What's odd with this COVID-19 episode, it that the local ER's, urgent cares and hospitals were/are near empty, in the last 2 months. To the point of lay-offs for medical staff. Just the opposite of what we were told to expect. Yes, we had a couple hospitals later get crowded down in border towns, but everywhere else was near ghost town in medical offices.

Now, we're seeing border town hospitals with patients coming from Mexico being dispersed to other SD and Riverside hospitals. Gavin is ordering this, supposedly? Hopefully, this isn't some ploy to get otherwise low infected areas on the verge of re-opening to have to clamp down again. If we see new spikes in these once low infection rate areas due to imported cases from outside the country, someone's going to have some splainin' to do.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
"Hopefully, this isn't some ploy to get otherwise low infected areas on the verge of re-opening to have to clamp down again."

lol. calm down.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Lets not put the cart in front of the horse. We can have this debate once there is an actual vaccine. I'm still skeptical that will happen in a timely manner.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
"Hopefully, this isn't some ploy to get otherwise low infected areas on the verge of re-opening to have to clamp down again."

lol. calm down.
I know, it's tin foil hat stuff.

Was quoting what wifey was reading on FB. She see's a lot different "views" on her feed and I can't tell her more than half is BS.
She did mention that her friends that work in the medical industry in Temecula valley are seeing a lot of this though. They are ones concerned about this.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Asking cause everyone I've talked to (mostly health care workers RNs and ICU MDs) are saying they'll let someone else be the guinea pig.
the vaccine is going to be rushed, a number of countries are working on producing it faster than it would normally take. The time consuming bit is apparently the testing, but they are still going to have to do this. So if my countries national health system fast tracked one to the population, yes I would get it. I always get the regular flu shot.

If however you are asking the question would I volunteer to be a guinea pig tester, then that's a moot question for me. I wouldn't qualify due to pre-existing health condition.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If "rushed" means "we cut corners to get this to market", then I'll pass. If it means "we hauled ass to get this to market", then I'd consider it. Subtle but important distinction.

Reactions: enframed

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
the vaccine is going to be rushed, a number of countries are working on producing it faster than it would normally take. The time consuming bit is apparently the testing, but they are still going to have to do this. So if my countries national health system fast tracked one to the population, yes I would get it.
No concern about unstudied long term side effects?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Whenever they come out with one, the anti-vaxxer crowd will go on a full court press disinformation campaign to paint the stuff as toxic as possible. Stand by for the bullshit to be flying thick and fast, obscuring all sensible discourse.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
We don't normally distrust flu vaccines developed under the normal process. This one probably wouldn't be a problem.

If I needed it in order to work I'd get one. If I don't have any pressing reasons to to do it this week as opposed to 2 weeks from now I'd probably wait to see if there were undue complications stacking up. It don't cost nothin' to wait for a bit.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
That's because the flu vaccine is not a new vaccine.

Every year there is a new one that addresses new strains. Some years prove to be more effective than others. But I imagine the building blocks are long time works in progress.

Far as I know there is currently no such thing as a covid vaccine, that's why I'm skeptical that there will be one in the foreseeable future making this argument a moot point.

Reactions: CutnSnip