Concave deck

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I can see the point about pushing volume out to rails. That could be an issue for some more HP outlines, but maybe lends itself to these short/stubby/fishy boards I like- that are slightly thicker anyway. Obviously, probably has to be a stringerless build too. Pleasantly surprised to hear the Varial CI NB2 had it. I wonder if it could be an option on some XTR stringerless customs? Guess it would depend on the shaper.
I had to order the “Black Flag” concave custom on the Varial NB2.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Depending upon the width of the board and where you put the rail shoulder/bevel you may wind up with a much bulkier rail than normal. It is possible to take it down very thin from that point, but it involves a kind of acute transition (hard to express this in words) that you don't see very often. And in a poly blank, that deck cut is going DEEP to get that out of there. Cutting a concave deck design out of a blank with a convex deck is a bit of a pain.

Chris Gallagher's G Deck is kind of what I was talking about re the acute transition. Last profile.

Gally selling a bunch of his g-decks on craigslist right now. ALways wanted to try one.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Have been riding a concave deck Stretch 2win fish for 3+ years now and also have an old 6'0" 2x4 quad toob shooter that has it as well.

I am super into it -- it's subtle, but definitely feels like you have a bit more leverage off your toes/heels and your feet are locked in. Added bonus that it does cradle your ribs really nicely while paddling. On the fish, I put a fish traction pad on that kind of filled in the concave and ended up taking it off because I didn't like the feel as much.

To GWS and other's points, Stretch said he normally wouldn't make a sk8 deck in the width I wanted (19.5") because of difficulties getting the rail to drop back down in that relatively narrow width. Because I have small feet (9.5) he was able to make it work with a smaller concave rail to rail.

FWIW he doesn't really seem to like to do them anymore.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Pyzel just posted this concave-decked quad minisim hybrid for JJF to mess around on. Looking forward to some video.
http://instagr.am/p/CAlMsLLD3By/
I think JJF was riding double concave decks last year until he tweaked his knee on that flyaway kick-out at Barrinha.

Reactions: oeste858

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I think this deck would be interesting. I would imagine it would feel like you are closer to the water and more bite on your rails.
Its actually a new KiteBoard I have but havent used yet. But looking forward to what the feeling is.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
i dont know how i failed to mention this, but OakFoils does some really cool subtle concaves on the deck of his New Phase short board without really fat rails - and it's mainly just in the tail of the board. i'll find pics and post eventually

Reactions: stringcheese

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I have a cassette deck from chemistry that i've yet to ride.

I noticed that the V on the bottom is pretty mellow. At first I was a bit puzzled and then realized that it has a double concave deck which I'm assuming adds to the concave equation, making the board rollover to the rail easier.

Shapers: do you have to mellow out the concave on the bottom to counteract the added concave on the deck, and/or vice versa? How does that relationship manifest while riding?
How did you end up liking your Cassette Deck? I saw a used one in the surf shop the other day and the shape looks pretty darn fun. My issue is that it said 23L but due to the thick rails it looks like its about 24 or 25L. Just trying to get find some feed back on this model.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
How did you end up liking your Cassette Deck? I saw a used one in the surf shop the other day and the shape looks pretty darn fun. My issue is that it said 23L but due to the thick rails it looks like its about 24 or 25L. Just trying to get find some feed back on this model.
Didn’t you allegedly buy a non-tomo a couple months ago? Was it a Ci older twin? Never saw any feedback on it.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
just shape your foot dents into the board 1" deep
imagine the traction, and no real loss of volume

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Really looking forward to trying my latest (5th week) Stretch concave deck it well be my 3rd sk8 deck. On my buzzsaw and gbuzz love sk8 deck its just like having sk8 deck concave while surfing and feels nice paddling with all the meat in the middle. My latest is going to be real different then others with single to double this board is slight single to totally flat with reverse channels out back. Also first stringerless board for me so should be interesting.

• Love
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Didn’t you allegedly buy a non-tomo a couple months ago? Was it a Ci older twin? Never saw any feedback on it.
lol. I really did buy, ride it, and loved it. But the waves were small for like a week straight and i needed a little extra cash for the Revo that was finished and waiting for me, so i sold it. The guy who bought it was pretty stoked on it.

Reactions: oeste858