Can we talk about airline ticket refunds?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Had tix for OZ in July with American.

Obvs their borders are shut.

Flight still isn't cancelled though.

Anyone had any luck getting a refund?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I had tickets on United to Italy that I used miles to purchase. Usually you can get your miles back for a $150 fee. Because of COVID they waived the fee, and I believe they are refunding all other flights.

Regional budget flights I almost got hosed on. Volotea offered a credit, which I took. Ryan Air was going to throw me under the bus and not offer any refunds unless the flight was cancelled altogether, which luckily it was. So overall I did alright.

However I think the actual refunds posting to my account will take a while.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
bought tix to colorado on southwest
march happened, flights didnt
they offer no cash refund, just credit
and it must be used within a yeear
by the person whos name is on the tix only
pretty gay

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
bought tix to colorado on southwest
march happened, flights didnt
they offer no cash refund, just credit
and it must be used within a yeear
by the person whos name is on the tix only
pretty gay

I wonder how this will hold up in court?

I get the impression AA is going to do the same in my circumstance.

I can't imagine class action lawsuits not happening.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Here's the deal, (my wife is a travel agent)
The airlines are waiting for YOU to cancel so they don't have to give the $$ back, instead give you a voucher.
If you wait them out, THEY will eventually cancel the flight in which case they have to give you a refund.
We just went through this with Air Lingus to Ireland. We're also waiting to see if Alaska air will cancel our flights in August.
She has been giving this advice to her clients.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Had tix for OZ in July with American.

Obvs their borders are shut.

Flight still isn't cancelled though.

Anyone had any luck getting a refund?
Yep. American cancelled my Nicaragua flights this week. They are processing my full refund. Hopefully I see it in a few days. I don't think the policy is the same if you cancel the flights.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
My best friend had to cancel his honeymoon, full refund but it took a lot of effort.

my father couldn’t get refunds for a surf trip to the Caribbean.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I have a negative CC balance now because a bunch of concerts have been auto-refunded
and I had already cleared the balance.

my BCN flight was credited. no refund.

Reactions: CutnSnip

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I wonder how this will hold up in court?

I get the impression AA is going to do the same in my circumstance.

I can't imagine class action lawsuits not happening.
I think it’s $18 to have the sheriff serve a suit in a small claims action. I sued C-X in Small Claims for +$7,000. The clerk at the North County Small Claims Office give me the form and looked up the addy of C-X corporate in Atlanta. Paid the fee, filled out the form, the C-X legal rep called and asked what I needed. I said +$7K (I forget the exact amount because I’m older than sh!t). They sent me a check for +$7000. Sue the airlines in Small Claims Court. You, get help an it is actually easy. You'll get back your $... California has great consumer protection laws. G’luck! John

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I took a 2.5hr Amtrak on Saturday. Me and 1 other person were in the business class car for $8 more. The dozen or so people waiting for coach were almost all nasty, grimy, smoking cigs or weed, hacking, coughing at the station. When the train left a girl was puking in the cafe car trash can from when I walked in until I got my coffee and left. Sprawled out in a 4 seater with my laptop for the rest of the ride.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I took a 2.5hr Amtrak on Saturday. Me and 1 other person were in the business class car for $8 more. The dozen or so people waiting for coach were almost all nasty, grimy, smoking cigs or weed, hacking, coughing at the station. When the train left a girl was puking in the cafe car trash can from when I walked in until I got my coffee and left. Sprawled out in a 4 seater with my laptop for the rest of the ride.
Sounds like every Amtrak train I've ever been on.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
We got our Hawaii tix refunded. It took about 3 different phone calls, no worky. Then 3 different chats online, of which the
last one, I more or less begged for my money back, then said I was a customer since 88 and the person went ahead and said ok we refund you, may take 5-6 weeks, but only took 3 days to refund card. Waited until they announced the extended quarantine back in June. Hawaiian Air. :shaka:
It's possible, just keep trying.
We didn't want a voucher, preferred our money returned, appreciated that!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The refund I mentioned above from Ryan Air is still “processing”. They acknowledge that I am entitled to the refund and will receive it, however this is on their schedule, not mine.

After accepting the request 2 months ago. United didn’t post my miles refund until Inoticed that they hadn’t a week ago. Called them and they immediately refunded it. Funny how that works. Still waiting on a refund for the taxes/fees, but all in all I did all right.

I want a refund on 2020. 2/7 would not bang again

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
first time wife called they said they we had credit to use on Alaskan within a year but no refund, so i told her to tell them that she has a pre-existing condition and there is no way we are going to be able to fly this year, they refunded us all of the 2,100 or so $. so i bought a new air compressor yesterday weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf and PJ

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
from the "silver linings" department: this year was the first year in probably the last 6 or 8 that i didn't already have 2-3 trips/flights booked. Planned on paying off all CC balances and THEN booking some travel. and then 2020 happened. Paid off the credit cards, full stop. rest in the war chest for what very well might be YEARS of greatly diminished earnings. 2020 knocked me back to 2010, financially. And 1996 mentally. everything else is TBD