Waikiki During Quarantine

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
Looks like Honolulu County and Kauai are both continuing their stay at home orders until June 30th. Surely the other counties will follow. So, for a visiting haole like me slated to show up June 30th, I'm just waiting for our family trip to be cancelled.:cry: Was sooo looking forward to the break!! I will be looking into the get a negative test and be exempted option though.....

OTOH, looks like as things slowly open up, SURFBOARD REPAIR business will be able to open as of Sat. May 16th!
which could help a lot of the board builders there doing "repairs, cough board building, cough repairs" since the surf has been cranking I'm sure there are more than a few customers ready for repairs or new boards. Sweet!
Just cancel your trip. Don't come here. Why travel during these times? It's just stupid! Please don't risk getting our Kupuna sick.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Just cancel your trip. Don't come here. Why travel during these times? It's just stupid! Please don't risk getting our Kupuna sick.
Yeah I get what you're thinking. I am not cancelling my trip because I want a refund. I will let them cancel it or postpone it.
And whatever happens, we most likely wouldn't be coming this time anyways, just too heavy right now.
FYI, I've been going to hawaii since '88, many, many times, can't even count, even lived there for a year! I fully understand some of the outward feelings by residents towards people that don't live there. However, I will come back, spend my hard earned blue collar money, visit friends, enjoy your piece of paradise respectfully, and leave it cleaner and happier than before I came.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
My thoughts exactly. And fwiw I think Hawaii healthcare is doing the right thing. A lot more so than most places! Enjoy!

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
Yeah I get what you're thinking. I am not cancelling my trip because I want a refund. I will let them cancel it or postpone it.
And whatever happens, we most likely wouldn't be coming this time anyways, just too heavy right now.
FYI, I've been going to hawaii since '88, many, many times, can't even count, even lived there for a year! I fully understand some of the outward feelings by residents towards people that don't live there. However, I will come back, spend my hard earned blue collar money, visit friends, enjoy your piece of paradise respectfully, and leave it cleaner and happier than before I came.
They airlines are still flying here, so I doubt they will cancel it, or postpone it. Don't expect the airlines to do anything for you, you have to do it for yourself.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
They airlines are still flying here, so I doubt they will cancel it, or postpone it. Don't expect the airlines to do anything for you, you have to do it for yourself.
Since this trip was planned and paid for in December, I’ve been watching what the flights and accommodations are doing. Furthermore, I’ve been watching this CV since December as well, and we have been prepared. Believe me, I’ll do what’s right. I don’t need you dictating to me what to do, thanks anyways. But no thanks.

You know, you’re coming off pretty harsh man, take a break.

what’s your beef brah?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Since this trip was planned and paid for in December, I’ve been watching what the flights and accommodations are doing. Furthermore, I’ve been watching this CV since December as well, and we have been prepared. Believe me, I’ll do what’s right. I don’t need you dictating to me what to do, thanks anyways. But no thanks.

You know, you’re coming off pretty harsh man, take a break.

what’s your beef brah?
Prob tired of tourists coming to hawaii and risking the lives of people who live here so you can have your fun.

If you had a legitimate reason to go (grandkids, family, etc) I doubt you’d get as much hassle. But you literally just wanna go on vacation.

you’re coming off as pretty tone deaf and dumb.

Reactions: Muscles

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
apologies to you then boys, ....I actually sympathize with you as to whats going on and what has happened over history, as well as everywhere else, as we are all in this together at some point or another, and its not my intention to **** people off, just bummed about not going there, or anywhere else for that matter. carry on....

Reactions: bluemarlin04

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
we just cancelled our trip to celebrate my daughter's graduation with one last big family trip to Kauai, I have a lot of friends that live there and we really have it pretty dialed in, usually throw a party one night for our local friends, PPK and I kind of tore it up at the last one, my wife made a big mexican meal for all the local friends. but now seems like a good time to stay home and see how things settle down, i mean i can't complain we have it good here for now at least. Tried to cancel our airfare but alaskan said no go on that, we can credit you for future flights. we'll see how that plays out. also called to cancel the intertube trip but they said maybe get our money back in 30 days. Hope to go back some day, some of my best travel memories are from the garden isle. aloha..

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I had to cancel my trip to Kauai that I'd been planning for a year. Southwest wouldn't refund me so I'm on credit. Neither would budget rent a car for that matter. Oh well. Life goes on. I guess being stuck on Oahu isn't really a problem.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
same here
had a trip to DC for a banking conference on United
Got a year to use the voucher
but who's doing a 4000 person business conference next year (which was supposed to be in San Diego)
I don't think my employer will let me go either.

looking forward to an interisland staycation when things open up if allowed
but I fear things are going to get worse with defaults, service and account closures coming.
We already waived most of our revenue for the rest of the year wish my vendors would do the same.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
I had to cancel my trip to Kauai that I'd been planning for a year. Southwest wouldn't refund me so I'm on credit. Neither would budget rent a car for that matter. Oh well. Life goes on. I guess being stuck on Oahu isn't really a problem.
My Son had a flight to the Mainland to attend a College Basketball team reunion. The function was cancelled and he had the same response from Hawaiian, no refund but issued a credit. Now he is wondering if Hawaiian Airlines is going to survive and if not, is his money lost. If Hawaiian does declare a form of bankruptcy, it will be interesting how the credits that were issued are going to be addressed. For that matter, what about those who hold Hawaiian miles? My personal opinion is that Hawaiian is in deep crisis mode financially.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Hawaiian Airlines is definitely hurting.

I don't care that much about the credit because I plan to go to Kauai for a vacation once things settle down. Not sure when that will be.

I am bummed though. I missed my last family vacation because of work. So my wife went without me. I'm creeping up on two years since my last real vacation where I had extended time off.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
same here
had a trip to DC for a banking conference on United
Got a year to use the voucher
but who's doing a 4000 person business conference next year (which was supposed to be in San Diego)
I don't think my employer will let me go either.

looking forward to an interisland staycation when things open up if allowed
but I fear things are going to get worse with defaults, service and account closures coming.
We already waived most of our revenue for the rest of the year wish my vendors would do the same.
We usually do a staycation or two to Oahu every year. 2020 will most likely be a no go, even if the inter island quarantine is lifted (which if our Mayor has his way, it will not be for months). Wife does not want to even think about a commercial flight.
The shelter in place for the Kapuna here being strictly enforced by family members. My Mother in Law gets big scoldings if she even thinks about leaving her house. Plenty of griping from her and her circle of friends about missing their weekly breakfast meeting at Sam Sato's.

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
yup gonna be a bad year as far as getting vacations out of the way
we're only allowed to carry 40 hours of vacation over which most do
plus most of my team because of 30-40 years of service seniority get like 4-5 weeks of vacation a year
some people take a month off to go back to the phillipines.
going to be real hard to figure this out before EOY and not have allot of people all gone all at the same time.
No one wants to use their vacation anyway when there's no where to go/do
I hope they let us carry over allot more into 2021
but vacations are considered corporate financial liabilities they don't like to carry on their books into another year.

Yeah everyone is over 60 at home with a 92 year old mom we're taking care of
so exposure is a big concern
never stopped working since this started so its a constant worry in the back of your head.

Wish I could stay in waikiki and enjoy it like it is now.
But those "i don't care if I contaminate you" tourists would freak me out.

bought some of these fishing tops for the crowded beach parking lot where everyone wants to come hug you to say hello and the cars are jammed next to each other. Too much to lose at home.

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 15.23.18.png

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 15.20.44.png

in reality it will look more like these bruddahs though

chubby_James2.jpg

junior.jpg

Reactions: mundus

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Are visitors still subject to the 14 day quarantine? Not criticizing, just asking.
yup
they just arrested another one today

Authorities arrest Hawaii visitor who documented his violation of quarantine rule on social media
  • By Cassie Ordonio
  • Today
  • Updated 2:56 pm

• Authorities arrested an Oahu visitor who documented his violation of Hawaii’s 14-day quarantine rule on social media.
The state Attorney General’s office said today that 23-year-old Tarique Peters of the Bronx, New York, was arrested this morning for violating quarantine and lying to authorities. A local man was with Peters when he was arrested and also faces charges. Bail for Peters is set at $4,000.
Peters arrived on Oahu Monday and authorities said he posted numerous pictures of himself on Instagram. “He allegedly left his hotel room the day he arrived and traveled many places using public transportation,” the attorney general said in a press release.
“Authorities became aware of his social media posts from citizens who saw posts of him — on the beach with a surfboard, sunbathing, and walking around Waikiki at night,” according to the release.
Special agents from the attorney general’s office said the hotel that Peters was staying in confirmed seeing him leave his room and the premises on numerous occasions.
“We appreciate the assistance of local people who spot flagrant violations of our emergency rules on various social media sites and report them to the appropriate authorities,” Hawaii Attorney General Clare Connors said.
About 858 passengers came to Hawaii on Thursday, including 318 returning residents and 252 visitors.
The Hawaii Tourism Authority report indicated that while most visitors said they were arriving for business or to see family or friends, 12 of them said they came just for a vacation.
There were 100 intended residents who plan to move to Hawaii, such as military members and their families, and former residents.
The number of visitors to the state on Wednesday was 246.
During the same time last year, nearly 30,000 passengers — visitors and residents — arrived in Hawaii daily, according to HTA.
They sad part is these idiots getting arrested are creating a really bad anti tourist community reaction to all tourists which is unfair but it's really sounding ugly these days.

community comments on the article. Its like this all the time and getting worse with each incident
Put him on the plane, period. no need to pack belongings or anything just put him on the plane! Then put THAT on social media. Do it several times a day to get the point across. Oh and keep the bail as he can't get back to stand trial...... Do it for every one caught, DONE!!
kfase

The Bronx is in New York City, the epicenter of the U.S. pandemic
mauiboy1946

Right. The guy is from Covid Central.
InDaMiddleOfDaSea

Sad, no respect for hawaii. Also, evict da friend from hawaii
CFTravitz

Lock tracking devices on arriving passengers for 2 weeks.
Kalani71

Is this a "I Dare You" contest with tourists? "Covidiot, party of one. Paging for Covidiot, party of one".
livinginhawaii

Once again our over paid civil servants are dropping the ball. Bail should have been set to $5,000 which is what our politicians have threatened everyone with.
walaau808

I thought it was a fine of up to $5000?
InDaMiddleOfDaSea

And jail time.
sewing4u

Ratting out tourists to cops, where can we sign up!
masae

SEND HIM BACK TO N.Y. NOW....and FINE him, HEAVILY....even if it means garnishing his assets. And, the local person with him should also be FINED
Kalani71

And how many visitors DO NOT DOCUMENT THEIR ESCAPADES ON SOCIAL MEDIA and still violate the 14-day quarantine and not get caught - hmmmm?
kfase

This guy was low hanging fruit. Its the others who don't post on social media and claim BnB owners as friends and family that are harder to nail.
lokela

Dictators all over the world are so proud of the people that reported this to the police. And Ige is envious of dictators all over the world.
eyoshida

Oh brother. Hope you were in the bus with him.
mauiboy1946

Come on State of Hawaii.
You establish a quarantine and then you cannot even enforce it. Why can't you get this right?
Fix it.
francisyoung

This is all Ige’s fault . This quarantine is his idea but he didn’t think of a way to enforce it and only relied on an honor system from the tourist.
How stupid is that?
We the people of Hawaii suffers because of possible Covid infection
In addition we are all sacrificing by staying at home and we see these tourists out and playing...
Very frustrating and irritating!!!!!!
Ige is the worst Governor ever!!!!!
francisyoung

From what I understand we pay for his flight back home? This doesn't seem right.
Is there a reward for anyone who provides information that leads to arrest...I mean we could then paid out to the $4,000. I would gladly accept 25% ($1000) and of course it would be tax exempt.
Get on whole houseful on Harding Avenue. Drive up Kapahulu and under the viaduct at Harding. Turn right and go up about 1/2 a block look for the Monster House and all the cars neatly parked and clothes drying outside. Go try look...hang out and watch 'em go down to Foodland, Times and Safeway...definitely not quarantine.
everything

Didn't see that in this article. Maybe earlier ones but it was not mentioned that I can see that he was flown back by HVB. As for location described of the Monster House, it doesn't mean that the were visitors, supposed to be quarantined. As for the $4000, that was bail and not an assessed fine, it still could be a fine of $5000.
inlanikai

The hotel where he was staying, that witnessed his breaking of quarantine and did not report him should be fined, at the least.
inlanikai

It's not really the hotel's responsibility to babysit these people. It's the State's rule so they should have a plan to enforce their rules. If these idiots want to come during these times, then they should be strapped with an ankle monitor or something - yes it would be like a prisoner but no one told them to come here during a lock-down/quarantine situation.
Kalani71

Why isn't there mandatory virus testing for airports employees, especially those coming in direct contact with arriving and departing passengers? Most vulnerable to arriving passengers are ticket agents, wheelchair porters, and visitor information employees, all who come in direct contact with arriving passengers. Any union reps affiliated with airport workers out there aware of this?
mcc

Tourists keep pouring in, flagrantly breaking laws and nothing is done about it. How typical, make laws, no enforcement.
Vandy63

And you believe they are telling the truth on these declaration forms?....lol...yeah right....I’m coming here for business....monkey business...there I fixed it for you
Shakemyspear

it only takes one to start a spread.
fm

Make an example, put him in prison for life, that will keep the tourists away..
wn

Yes, I agree put him up in prison amongst the General Population...da' braddahs going love him.
inlanikai

Don't understand it...da' guy was just plain lolo...babooze award!
commoner

They ALL need to be quarantined for 14 days...no exceptions! And, who are these returning residents? Are they returning college students? Or, are they just people trying to get away from mainland USA? If they are returning residents, then, they should only have a 1 way ticket....all those things need to be checked to assure the truthfulness of their statements. Vacationers? Check their return flight...it should be more than 14 days; if not, they are going galavating around the island....and will NOT adhere to the quarantine.
Respect14

Last edited: