*******Official COVID What the hell are we doing about haircuts?*********

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The thing is, I still have hair.

Really thick hair. No receding. It practically grows across my forehead into my eyebrows.

Growing it long isn't really a bad thing. Plus my mustache and goat...letting those grow too...and my chops...

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
A colleague posted a picture of a cat with its hair all sticking up in a mess in our team Slack chat channel a few weeks ago (we are all working remotely). This was the trigger to do something about my hair, so I googled "how to give yourself a haircut". I chose some instructions from a pro hair stylist who didn't recommend it, but "if you must" … a mirror and comb was needed. So I went out and bought a comb from the super market and some scissors which were marketed for trimming beards.

The problem with trying to use the comb and scissors with the mirror was that the reverse image meant that the comb and scissors didn't want to go where I thought I was directing it. So I had to give up the idea of doing it properly with a comb and just hacked at it with scissors. The result was terrible, semi bald spots in places, tufts sticking up in others. Behind my head a total guess, I don't know what was going on there. With all this social distancing I told myself it did not need to look good.

Now that a few weeks have elapsed, the semi bald patches have grown back and it has a sort of stylish layered look (so I tell myself).

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia

Now that a few weeks have elapsed, the semi bald patches have grown back and it has a sort of stylish layered look (so I tell myself).
and now that several weeks have elapsed after I wrote that, I was no longer able to persuade myself that my scissors home job looked in any way stylish, so I bought some hair clippers this morning. I looked at the reviews of the various models that could be purchased nearby. Online ordering can be a bit of a problem at the moment as I am not in an address with a postal address most of the time - in regional Vic since lockdown, no point in being in the city when office is shut and I can work from the coast.

It seemed that the negatively reviewed clippers suffered from not enough power to plough through the hair, so I decided to go for something with a bit of grunt and mains powered. None of this rechargeable convenience stuff.

Comes with graded comb attachments to do number 1 all the way up to number 8. So much more enjoyable and easier to use than a scissors - did the sides of my head with #3 then tried to blend it into the top with #4 then #5 following some online tips on how to hold the thing making upward and outward motions. Left the back of my head as I can't see what is going on there, left the top because it is not too long. If I continue with this methodology then heading in the direction of a mullet.

Very happy with my new machine, not expensive either $70 AUD, doesn't look like I will be prepared to venture in to the hairdressers for the next year, they don't seem to wear masks in Aus, stupid - the thought of having COVID laden aerosols breathed over me makes me shudder. So a worthwhile purchase.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Nipomo barber shop. My man Vantz did not close for one. day. Law came three times, each time with a heavier threat. Third time, they said we're going to arrest you if you stay open. He called Ian Parkinson. Ian told the boys leave my man alone. After that, so many cops started coming in to get their hair cut that he had to bring in the first woman to occupy the building in any fashion at any point, far as I've seen. A hairdresser who does a great job and takes no shlt from anyone, least of all us @ssholes.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Chicks actually think my hair is better. 60 y/o. down to my shoulders. Bang cut in front. Over my ears. If you've got it, flaunt it. No hair cut since Early March. The 1970's are asking for my hair back. Just glad to still be able to grow it.

Last edited:
Reactions: the janitor

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Way more healthy bro. My old Japanese barber. Since High School. He said I have the thickest hair he has ever seen. So take that...The late 1970's are asking for my hair back. It's the wrong color these days. So what....

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
5 months bros.

Hair. Long and luxurient. Down to my shoulders. Its grey but it's OK. Chicks love it. I look like my pics from the 70's. Full Head. Only its grey.

Want to go to a barber, but the girls say no!!!

Last edited:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A throughback to 1977. It's grey. The longest folicles since 1978. My coworker chicks love it. It's grey but its AOK.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
let my bro flowbee mine 4th of july weekend
flowbee to a shopvac
tried for for weeks to get an appointment at my local walk in with no luck as I wanted a military buzz cut to last the rest of the year
So I said what the hell and gave in
my brother's been flowbee ing his hair since 2000
said he's saved thousands on haircuts since
actually worked out well
only had shoulder length long hair for about 2-3 years my entire life when I was in college

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
My girl has been doing em out of her house. Just went in yesterday and we both got the news at the same time that things were locking down again. Im sure alot of barbers/hair people will start doing the same thing for their clients.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
To grow your hair. The skillset to do it.
dood , waaaay tooo many consecutive posts, about your long hippy hair, get a haircut doood, move on...

OTH I gave my 9 year old son his first buzz cut yesterday and he loves it, looks great too!!