Hess Surfboards

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Hey guys,

Anyone have or ridden any of Danny's boards. looking at Kunkel, or Pacheco model.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I'm not sure if this helpful, but a family member has a longboard from him. They seem to like it, but they don't surf much. I do remember that turnaround time was an big issue, so probably a good time to order now.

Anecdotal- Surfed with a guy at Carmel who was killing it on what I believe was the "ranger", liked it as a quad.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Tried the Pacheco once. (would like to give them all a try)

It was made for someone about 6 inches shorter than me and 20 lbs lighter and 15 yrs younger and took me half the session to get to my feet and make the drop successfully. Caught one really good wave at about head high and was able to get around a section and someone paddling out without losing speed. Maybe I got lucky, maybe the 'fishiness' worked with me.

It seemed like it could be more versatile at a beach break than the Kunkel. Would have been nice to have it for a chance to learn its characteristics. And be able to directly compare it with the more fish-like Kunkel.

And like the four other Hess boards I've ridden, wants/needs to be pushed to get the goodness out....in other words, not really a neutral board like you'd want as a beginner/advanced beginner, not that they wouldn't work. Does that make sense?

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I ordered a 7’0 walnut/redwood 4+1 Bella last year that only took 12 wks to complete. Craftsmanship is second to none. I got it for south swells at Malibu, Church and SanO Point, so far so good. It‘s actually lighter than I expected being a full wood board, so it paddles and turns with just a little more effort than a regular built board. I’m planning on ordering another one from Danny this year.41441C23-A30B-4B96-BA26-C47F773F576A.jpeg9D1DB0F6-316C-49F0-BD74-BFEA21F18DA0.jpeg26F0FF15-3590-487C-886A-3482BF9863DE.jpeg4A0D48BB-86C8-4624-866B-EBA84D99320B.jpegDDFEF384-18BB-42A4-8B12-E5664E8E2FFF.jpeg

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I have a quad that's over ten years old. Beautiful work of art that is bulletproof.

How does it ride? Good if you can get over the increased weight. Works well in windy conditions because of that.

I don'r ride it much cause my boards always evolve but I won't get rid of it cause it's so damn beautiful and works well enough to keep in the quiver.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Kachow!! Wow, that board is stunning, congrats man. I'm looking at the "Kunkel Twin" in his single skin technology, more of a small wave board for summer. Thanks for the responses guys.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
THey look incredible. I made a snide remark once about the kooky OBSF guys that pull out an 8'0" Hess when it's 6 ft. to a buddy of mine that surfs mega OB and Mavs. He laughed, but pointed out there is a loyal following of qualified chargers that ride Hess' boards.

I don't think I could ever afford one unless the tech bubble pops hard and fast.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
I had two of his boards years ago. One was a quad fish and the other his version of a shortboard.

Both good boards and especially the fish. I can actually still remember some of the turns on that fish when i set the rail just right on a good section; pure speed blur ball bearing bliss. He actually hand delivered that fish to me in Oceanside and we had a surf together. That was a loooonnnngggg time ago.

I moved on and sold each board and much prefer a lighter, more performance orientated board. But . . . I bought these boards years ago and I know that the materials he uses have changed and I recall chatting with him at a Board Room event and he said he was intentionally making some of the boards lighter now.

If you are curious and have the money, I'd say do it. Guy is a complete class act and the boards are functional works of art.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Wow, that board is a serious work of art. How is the float compared with foam, and the cost?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I ordered a 7’0 walnut/redwood 4+1 Bella last year that only took 12 wks to complete. Craftsmanship is second to none. I got it for south swells at Malibu, Church and SanO Point, so far so good. It‘s actually lighter than I expected being a full wood board, so it paddles and turns with just a little more effort than a regular built board. I’m planning on ordering another one from Danny this year.View attachment 89311View attachment 89313View attachment 89314View attachment 89315View attachment 89316
Lawn looks great and so does your flooring!

• Haha
Reactions: Sharky

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
I glassed a bunch of his boards during a stint at Stretch’s in 2013-14. And yeah, craftsmanship was A+.

is he still doing the wood only decks? Those seemed like a good combination of strength and weight. Some of those had carbon tape on the rails, which seemed a good idea.

Hess’ boards always had the look, you know that look like they’re gonna work really well

Reactions: Mr Doof

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I always check them out whenever I'm at Stretch's, and am always blown away with how nice they are. I ordered his "single skin Tech," with carbon rails, I'm curious to see how that compares to Stretch's CFT heavy construction, which is what I usually ride.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I ordered a 7’0 walnut/redwood 4+1 Bella last year that only took 12 wks to complete. Craftsmanship is second to none. I got it for south swells at Malibu, Church and SanO Point, so far so good. It‘s actually lighter than I expected being a full wood board, so it paddles and turns with just a little more effort than a regular built board. I’m planning on ordering another one from Danny this year.View attachment 89311View attachment 89313View attachment 89314View attachment 89315View attachment 89316
My only problem with that board is I would cry as I waxed over the figured redwood.

When is someone going to develop a transparent, lighter, permanent alternative to wax????

Reactions: ghostshaper

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
My only problem with that board is I would cry as I waxed over the figured redwood.

When is someone going to develop a transparent, lighter, permanent alternative to wax????
Big Wax has been stifling new technologies for years now with all their fat cat margins.

They're lining their pockets with at least $0.25 per bar in clean profits after tax......which they clearly have loopholes around.

By even suggesting this, you've already said too much.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

It's out there. The kind my friend uses is transparent, but it might have that sort of translucent grip tape look that mars up the details as well