The day surfing died in San Diego

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
shouldnt let it bother you. do you have any issue with people drinking beer daily or some wine over the age of 35?
Like I said, MILDY bothersome, like when someone I care about eats too much.

Daily drinking, same.

i speak from experience.

When I see people who “need” these substances I just think, mmm...ok...

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
‘And Joel isnt “just” a black belt. He’s older now but he’s still an elite level black belt. In a room full of black belts he still stands out.

He’s no slouch when it comes to striking as well.

Barca fights pro mma. Anyone who says a big guy with “even a little” submission defense would ‘wreck’ him has no idea what they are talking about.
Strength and size are worth several belts. That's why we have weight classes.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
shouldnt let it bother you. do you have any issue with people drinking beer daily or some wine over the age of 35?
I kinda do.

I don't have a problem with anyone letting lose now and then but daily usage of anything is problem

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Ok first off Tudor is not an elite level black belt. Not even close.

Elite level black belts are guys like Gordon Ryan, Eddie bravo, Cyborg.

Guys winning ADCC are elite. Tudor is not one.

Barca and Tudor are both tiny and would get destroyed by legit 220+ lbers who train and now how to fight.

I dunno if you have seen either in person but they aren’t big.
In his prime he was competitive against guys like Jeff Glover, Bill Cooper (who barely lost on points to cyborg before cyborg roided up to his current size (and can tap Bravo at will)) Robson Moura and the like. Elite.

As I said, he’s older now.

‘Also, you originally said a “220 lb guy with a little submission defense” and now you say a
‘legit 220 lb trained fighter” so nice lane change.

I have rolled with Joel. He thrashed me. I’m 190 lbs and have quite a lot more than ‘just a little“ submission defense.

I have sparred mma with a couple guys from Longman and held my own. Both guys say Barca destroys them.

One of my coaches is 5’3 135 and has fought pro mma (trained at black house) and he fucks me up with little effort.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
In his prime he was competitive against guys like Jeff Glover, Bill Cooper (who barely lost on points to cyborg before cyborg roided up to his current size (and can tap Bravo at will)) Robson Moura and the like. Elite.

As I said, he’s older now.

‘Also, you originally said a “220 lb guy with a little submission defense” and now you say a
‘legit 220 lb trained fighter” so nice lane change.

I have rolled with Joel. He thrashed me. I’m 190 lbs and have quite a lot more than ‘just a little“ submission defense.

I have sparred mma with a couple guys from Longman and held my own. Both guys say Barca destroys them.

One of my coaches is 5’3 135 and has fought pro mma (trained at black house) and he fucks me up with little effort.
My condolences that you’re small and aren’t good at combat sports.

Reactions: kidfury

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
Ventura Point free lot and fair grounds (beach side) parking closed mid morning

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Strength and size are worth several belts. That's why we have weight classes.
i think people are misunderstanding what I’m saying.

Dufuss said a big guy with “even a little submission defense” would “wreck” Joel and Dustin. My contention is that person doesn’t have a clue.

I am not saying that a this theoretical big person would get his ass kicked. I’m saying that I don’t know what would happen. To say that this theoretical big dude would certainly fuck them up shows a total ignorance of the subject matter.

I don’t know what would happen. Why don’t I know? Because I’ve seen way too many “surprises” when it comes to fighting.

I just relay to you this....

I’m 185-190 BJJ brown belt and have been training for about 10 years. I’m 49 years old. there are A LOT of people much smaller than me who kick my ass daily.

There has also been numerous times, too numerous to count, where someone much larger than me shows up with “a little submission defense“ that are athletic, muscular and look tough as nails that i manhandle without even getting my heart rate up.

And I have no where near the skill level of Tudor (in BJJ) or Barca (in mma).

This whole subject cracks me up because...

1. It makes people self conscious and uncomfortable.

2. It makes people say stupid ignorant sh!t that they are so confident is right.

Reactions: PRCD

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
i think people are misunderstanding what I’m saying.

Dufuss said a big guy with “even a little submission defense” would “wreck” Joel and Dustin. My contention is that person doesn’t have a clue.

I am not saying that a this theoretical big person would get his ass kicked. I’m saying that I don’t know what would happen. To say that this theoretical big dude would certainly fook them up shows a total ignorance of the subject matter.

I don’t know what would happen. Why don’t I know? Because I’ve seen way too many “surprises” when it comes to fighting.

I just relay to you this....

I’m 185-190 BJJ brown belt and have been training for about 10 years. I’m 49 years old. there are A LOT of people much smaller than me who kick my ass daily.

There has also been numerous times, too numerous to count, where someone much larger than me shows up with “a little submission defense“ that are athletic, muscular and look tough as nails that i manhandle without even getting my heart rate up.

And I have no where near the skill level of Tudor (in BJJ) or Barca (in mma).

This whole subject cracks me up because...

1. It makes people self conscious and uncomfortable.

2. It makes people say stupid ignorant sh!t that they are so confident is right.
But honestly you’re missing a few key aspects.

The Gi is a joke. It offers a crutch to a lot of lighter people. We all know gi and no gi is a totally different game and a lot of the holds and submissions are extremely different.

When I say an actual fight- I mean an actual fight. No regs. No ring. An actual no sh!t fight. Dudes who are outweighing someone by 100 lbs and have a major athletic ability and can grapple will def put a wrecking on someone much smaller.

Sure you go against guys bigger then you in a controlled environment and “barely break a sweat”. But one of the worst parts of BJJ is if anyone of a lower belt tries against the higher belt in sparring the higher belt gets butthurt and always cries and goes “it’s just rolling bro why are you trying”

Reactions: rts265

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
But honestly you’re missing a few key aspects.

The Gi is a joke. It offers a crutch to a lot of lighter people. We all know gi and no gi is a totally different game and a lot of the holds and submissions are extremely different.

When I say an actual fight- I mean an actual fight. No regs. No ring. An actual no sh!t fight. Dudes who are outweighing someone by 100 lbs and have a major athletic ability and can grapple will def put a wrecking on someone much smaller.

Sure you go against guys bigger then you in a controlled environment and “barely break a sweat”. But one of the worst parts of BJJ is if anyone of a lower belt tries against the higher belt in sparring the higher belt gets butthurt and always cries and goes “it’s just rolling bro why are you trying”
Where are you getting these ideas from?

Gi and nogi have their benefits and drawbacks. You might be surprised to learn that a lot of people who train in the gi also train nogi and also train mma and judo and self defense and carry firearms.

I personally train a bunch of different ways, techniques and wear all sorts of outfits. I do yoga, too!

These hypotheticals are fun, especially when you just keep adding new attributes to the story!

yay.

Have a good day.

edit:

”But one of the worst parts of BJJ is if anyone of a lower belt tries against the higher belt in sparring the higher belt gets butthurt and always cries and goes “it’s just rolling bro why are you trying””

Um, what? No idea what you’re talking about.

Oct 15, 2015
Where are you getting these ideas from?

Gi and nogi have their benefits and drawbacks. You might be surprised to learn that a lot of people who train in the gi also train nogi and also train mma and judo and self defense and carry firearms.

I personally train a bunch of different ways, techniques and wear all sorts of outfits. I do yoga, too!

These hypotheticals are fun, especially when you just keep adding new attributes to the story!

yay.

Have a good day.

Forgive my ignorance, I've got very little knowledge of combat sports, but wasn't UFC 1 a real world application of what would happen if you put BJJ up against boxing, kickboxing, sumo... where Royce Gracie ruined guys 25+ pounds heavier?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Forgive my ignorance, I've got very little knowledge of combat sports, but wasn't UFC 1 a real world application of what would happen if you put BJJ up against boxing, kickboxing, sumo... where Royce Gracie ruined guys 25+ pounds heavier?
Heavier guys who didn’t know any jiu jitsu.

A good wrestler with good striking skills and some basic understanding of jiu jitsu will be very difficult for a pure jiu jitsu guy.

Nowadays in the UFC everyone knows submissions, take down defense and striking so the pure BJJ guys have trouble. Plus, rounds with re-starts are another factor.

Ryan Hall is one guy who (I believe) can use basically just BJJ, along with his opponents‘ fear of Ryan’s bjj (nobody wants to take him down so he can throw crazy kicks) to win fights in the UFC.

Also one must consider that these days the vast majority of BJJ guys are doing “sport“ BJJ. BJJ for fighting is different (and simpler) in many ways.

If you go to a gym that teaches any self defense (or whatever you want to call it) based BJJ you’ll learn all you need ”know” within a year or so (you still need to train consistently to be effective). Basically all the jiu jitsu that is useful in a fight would be known by most solid blue belts (this is a broad generality).

The jiu jitsu that I do at the level I’m at now is training to do sport jiu jitsu against people who are good at sport jiu jitsu. Most of it is very technical and subtle adjustments make huge differences. A lot of it just takes time (applying pressure like ‘this’ or like ‘that” in this or that situation....). A lot of what we do would be really stupid to try in an actual fight. This is why I also wrestle, kick box and spar jiu jitsu with strikes (ground an pound) as often as my old body tolerates.

But, yea. If you know nothing about BJJ and try to fight someone who is good at it (or even an old mediocre hobbyist like myself) it’s probably not going to workout well for you.

Edit to add...

the Gracies set that whole thing up to ensure a Royce victory.

And they used Royce (instead of Rickson) because Royce was scrawny looking. Even his gi was worn too big and his weight lied about to make it seem more impressive.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
yay.

Have a good day.

edit:

”But one of the worst parts of BJJ is if anyone of a lower belt tries against the higher belt in sparring the higher belt gets butthurt and always cries and goes “it’s just rolling bro why are you trying””

Um, what? No idea what you’re talking about.
I trained BJJ for years and competed in tournaments and have medals to show for it.

I am not just pulling stuff out my ass