Looks awful/goes great!

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
1969 called and said it's still okay to surf like Wayne Lynch, if that's what you like.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: sjlist

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Torren Martyn > Devon Howard > Beu Young

The chunkiness of that board looks like it's ruining his flow.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Surfs nothing like Wayne Lynch.

Beau has been given hundreds if not thousands of hand crafted boards from the best shapers in the world.

Can't help feeling queasy seeing him spruik cheap Chinese pop-outs.

I know a man has to make a living but really?

the whole country soul angle now looks like a particularly bad parody.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Surfs nothing like Wayne Lynch.

Beau has been given hundreds if not thousands of hand crafted boards from the best shapers in the world.

Can't help feeling queasy seeing him spruik cheap Chinese pop-outs.

I know a man has to make a living but really?

the whole country soul angle now looks like a particularly bad parody.
I agree, FR, but that was not my can of worms to open. Man can surf, though.

Btw, does anybody surf like Wayne Lynch? He was/is so easy to recognise.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
He is a great surfer, obviously. But I have the same reaction as when I see a clip of "performance longboarding"- why? There's so many other designs I'd rather see him surf. IMHO

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I liked the video, but also thought the turns were somewhat forced. The board just not really wanting to come around.
After watching the Evolution shots, I think those old guys surfed better with more flow.
If the modern guys can't outsurf dudes from 50 years ago, is this the death knell for the mid-length?

My take, "Surfs like a longboard, paddles like a shortboard".

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I liked the video, but also thought the turns were somewhat forced. The board just not really wanting to come around.
After watching the Evolution shots, I think those old guys surfed better with more flow.
If the modern guys can't outsurf dudes from 50 years ago, is this the death knell for the mid-length?

My take, "Surfs like a longboard, paddles like a shortboard".
Don't forget that it's a fat beachbreak, with a near impossible link-up with the inside. I have a hard time thinking of a type of board better suited to those conditions.

And just to make it clear, the reason for the post was not to sing the praises of Beau Young or mid lengths, but to highlight that boards sometimes surprise us. Great looking boards turn out to be dogs, while strange looking ones shine.

Reactions: Retropete and Aruka

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
In my mind, that video makes the opposite point. A wonky looking board appears to be impeding a good surfer.

And just to make it clear, the reason for the post was not to sing the praises of Beau Young or mid lengths, but to highlight that boards sometimes surprise us. Great looking boards turn out to be dogs, while strange looking ones shine.

Reactions: oeste858

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I agree with Maz though, those fat outside bank beach breaks with a hard connection to an inside shore break are fucking hard to surf unless on a mid-length or something with a helluva lot of carry through.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Torren Martyn > Devon Howard > Beu Young

The chunkiness of that board looks like it's ruining his flow.
It's kinda a pet peave when people group Torren Martyn with these other guys. He's a world class ripper that charges hard in man sized surf, not head high point break. He's just a great surfer that found a niche with the twin fins.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I think though the point was someone who surfs well on something other than your typical shortboard that might look a little odd but work well. Torren Martyn certainly fits that bill maybe even more so. I don't think I'd ride a big board with a ton of surface area and twin fins on the waves he does.