Why don't more shapers describe surfboards by rocker curve?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
This would be a nightmare IMO. As already mentioned, there is the concept of center line rocker vs rail rocker and how it is altered and why it is altered, etc etc. Verbal descriptions of curves are fraught with subjectivity/inaccuracy. Providing two numbers on either end could be somewhat relevant, but there are a thousand different ways of connecting those two dots. You can have a fairly low tail rocker number that still has curve in the rail via the concave placement/depth and say an off center rocker apex (bias rearward) We still have people chasing volume numbers out to the second decimal place, rejecting surfboards because the volume number is .04 off.

I suppose this could be done to some extent, but I certainly ain't going be writing this sh!t up. There's a reason I don't do retail with surfers. lol.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I suppose the only way to do this would be verbal descriptions of curve. The numbers would be a can of worms. Plus most shapers like to think they have secret sauce/magic and they will be loathe to map out their rocker numbers for the general public/competitors. Not going to happen. So verbal descriptions would probably be the ticket. That is going to take some communication skills re getting relevant information to a relatively unsophisticated client base.

Reactions: jkb

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I've posted pictures of the curves over on Swaylocks, with different colors for different radii. It's pretty easy to understand that way.

It will never happen for two reasons. Firstly like GWS said, shapers don't want to give up their blueprints.

Secondly, the shaper would have to be consistently accurate with the curves. He would need to use a rocker stick template on every shape, like the do with an outline template. That is more work for the same money, but add the headache.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I think you're trying so hard to argue your point, that you refuse to see that neither rocker nor contours can be seen in isolation.

To the OP. I think it would be beneficial for shapers to at least indicate what kind of rocker a board has. Mayhem used to do it with his Driver vs Rocket rockers. CIS sort of do it too, indicating whether it's staged or continuous, and at least giving nose/tail numbers (though not at 12"/18").

Xanadu has gone further, but he's go so many models it makes your head spin.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I suppose the only way to do this would be verbal descriptions of curve. The numbers would be a can of worms. Plus most shapers like to think they have secret sauce/magic and they will be loathe to map out their rocker numbers for the general public/competitors. Not going to happen. So verbal descriptions would probably be the ticket. That is going to take some communication skills re getting relevant information to a relatively unsophisticated client base.

Some guys like Proctor give away the numbers but I think verbal descriptions provide more insight for consumers

example

"'Family One' models are designed with most of the rocker curve in the middle to the nose of the board. The drive is generated from the middle of the board to the tail. Because the rocker is mostly focused in the middle to nose area of the board, the nose rocker frees the rail, allowing it to engage quickly for optimum speed and control in critical sections of the wave." (Xanadu)

"Designed around a low tail rocker, balanced with a more generous nose rocker, it’s meant to be ridden “off the tail”. Because of its built in drive and the fact it easily projects under tail pressure, the Driver is an easy choice for average ability surfers who stand heavy and rely on the rear foot for drive. The outline is “modern modest”: Smooth, with no noticeable hip, or bump, and nothing extreme in terms of nose or tail width. It has mid volume rails, nose to tail, with a slight box in the tail. Along with the low tail rocker, the Driver features a modest concave from centre, increasing through the front fins and blending to flat off the tail. This concave adds lift, and also ensures plenty of rail rocker curve under the rear foot, which loosens up the relatively straight tail rocker, and allows tight radius turns when put on a rail. Overall, the Driver is a user friendly, tried and tested design, productive and proven around the world, by a wide variety of both top level and every day surfers. " (Mayhem)

Reactions: Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
It's not that hard to see. All good shapers can see the parts apart from the whole
Yes, but you argue that one (contours) has nothing to do with the other (rocker). I think most shapers know very well that are intimately linked.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Continuous rocker is when the curve keeps the same radius from tail to nose flip.

Nevr ever seen this .
Yes you have. I didn't say the same rocker from nose to tail. I said from nose flip ( which starts about a foot to a foot and a half back from the nose.

A consistent curve from the tail to a foot from the nose, then the curve increases. Longer in longer boards. It's really common in step-ups

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
The timing of social media is uncanny. Les @pointnshoot808 posted this pic of that fun south swell from last November. I’m riding a Tokoro 6’0 4X. Which has 1/8 in. less nose rocker and a fuller outline than the 4VC or SD Houdini. The bottom also has a single to double concave to vee. It’s obviously not working properly water is flying in all directions. Hahaha

http://instagr.am/p/B85h4Jmnq0H/

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Most quality shapers make boards that work well off both feet / frontside and backside

Most good surfers are always adapting to condditions and the board

Making 1 dimension boards is not something most shapers want to market or promote , unless you make a new flavor of the week and or have 86 versions of a hpsb on your website

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
For instance, how ...Lost describes the Driver working off the back foot or Xanadu's Family 1 of rockers.

This provides considerable insight IMHO.
I'll take a non-popular stab at it.

At some point...you just need ot do your job while on the clock, as opposed to explaining your job to those who think they understand it, before you even begin to actually do your job.

Reactions: need 4 speed

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Most quality shapers make boards that work well off both feet / frontside and backside

Most good surfers are always adapting to condditions and the board

Making 1 dimension boards is not something most shapers want to market or promote , unless you make a new flavor of the week and or have 86 versions of a hpsb on your website
Unless you prefer the familiarity of a particular type of rocker and don't want to spend time screwing around trying to make other boards work, posting on Craigslist (and dealing with tirekickers), playing w/ fins, buying fins, etc.

Reactions: oeste858 and Bman76