“PE-C” (PU+Epoxy+Carbon stringer) Technology by Hayden Shapes

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
“PE-C” (PU+Epoxy+Carbon stringer) Technology by Hayden Shapes

It looks like Hayden Shapes previously had a technology called “PE” (Polyurethane-Epoxy). It is a PU blank, glassed with Epoxy resin, with a 3-ply wooded stringer (see link for more info). https://www.haydenshapes.com/technology/pe-technology/

However, in the recent review of the “White Noise” model, Noel Salas discussed a new technology called “PE-C” which is a PU blank, glassed in Epoxy resin, with a high-density composite stringer (pretty interesting). Noel describes it as having more pop and giving the board a longer life span. (see link for more info)

Its time stamped to start right at the discussion of the PE-C technology. Noel describes it as “layer of high density foam… then they take the carbon and laminate both top and bottom… then they cut out a stinger from that lamination.”

The only information I could find on it on HS website was in the description of a board called “Loot” where he very briefly discusses the PE-C. https://www.haydenshapes.com/surfboard/loot/

I found all this very interesting because there have been discussions on this forum of how a wooden stringer has inconsistencies in the wood that is used (knots in the wood, weak spots in the wood, etc.), and isn’t really a good source of material for a stringer. This new concept of laminating high density foam with carbon and then cutting a stringer seems like a big step forward in the right direction for those that like the look of a wooden stringer.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Guy moves major units.

Probably went into debt to start, but I'm sure he got out of it quick with Ando and the Hypto.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
See lots of Hyptos in the parking lot and at other breaks other than Bowls. Think my sister even had one or two, Kinda like FW and Tomos never see the average joe/ weekend warrior surf better on them than a locally made board. No disrespect to Hayden,and Ando theyre killing it.

Epoxy over PU isn’t new or cutting edge. And board makers and blank manufacturers have been trying different stringers forever. Different wood, PVC, parabolic rails, no stringer. More interesting and out of the box thinking is the stringer Barry Snyder is doing . His Torsional Drive Stringer.
http://instagr.am/p/B8sXdCSHcxR/
Or the XO Eric Arakawa has been building. They glue up different density foam to control flex. My friend Ryan works there, he said it’s a lot of work gluing up their XO blanks. But it’s the fastest shortboard he’s ever ridden.
http://instagr.am/p/Bt4JjhzAAkD/

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Or the XO Eric Arakawa has been building. They glue up different density foam to control flex. My friend Ryan works there, he said it’s a lot of work gluing up their XO blanks. But it’s the fastest shortboard he’s ever ridden.
That XO build from EA looks really interesting and the theory of wanting different parts of the board to flex different makes sense. I am a big fan of the stringerless builds that XTR does and their ever-evolving R&D finding new ways to control the stiffness/flex.

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I like the idea of using a material with consistent flex as a stringer rather than something that can have variation.

I've had a GMM2 with a wood stringer and one with an HD foam stringer, but can't say I could tell a difference between the two. It's a really short groveler, so I wouldn't expect to feel much difference in flex anyways.

I've ridden a couple different Untitled's with parallel carbon wrap around the rails and both felt very similar.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Barry is always trying new stuff. I really enjoy his open-minded approach to surfboard design -- lots of respect for Barry Snyder.

I just thought the stringer composite on the Hayden Shapes was a great disguise for a wooden stringer. It looks really good and clean, and probably has a good feel to it. I'd never heard of it before so i thought it was worth posting.

Reactions: jkb and teeroi

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have a old f4 with parabolic stringer and CFT glass that still feels great and is easily 10+ years old still pretty white as well.

Reactions: jkb

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Barry is always trying new stuff. I really enjoy his open-minded approach to surfboard design -- lots of respect for Barry Snyder.

I just thought the stringer composite on the Hayden Shapes was a great disguise for a wooden stringer. It looks really good and clean, and probably has a good feel to it. I'd never heard of it before so i thought it was worth posting.
just come out of the closet already, we're all accepting here. no need to hide any longer, welcome home ;)

Reactions: waxfoot

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
just come out of the closet already, we're all accepting here. no need to hide any longer, welcome home ;)
From what I've read, privacy seems like a "really" big concern around here... (including your own).
Im just a fan of surfboard design and really enjoy this forum and the collaborative discussions it brings.

As the great sailor of the sea once said "I Yam What I Yam & Dats What I Yam!" - Popeye

• Haha
Reactions: rts265 and teeroi