What Boards You Got On Order?

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
I decided to follow a couple of glass shops on Insta that were potentially glassing my board. One posted a rack of boards, one of them looked like mine but a different colour. Didn’t think much of it at the time but decided I’d just query it with the shaper the following day. It ended up being mine and lucky I caught it as the colour looked about the same as what’s coming out of my 7 month old. Shaper was awesome and straight onto it. New one getting shaped and off to the laminator next week.

Reactions: Aruka

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Saw a Sharpeye Blowfish for sale at local shop on sale

Looks like in between the disco cheater and a lost RNF
might pick it up.

Reactions: Aruka

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Picked this 5' 8" x 19 1/4" x 2 3/8" Dan Cobley this am. Looks like there'll be some waves Sunday and Monday to give it a go.
I got some waves yesterday and this morning on this board. The board without fins felt nice and light (for a PU) but with a tail-pad (Pro-Lite Keanu Asing model) and the fiberglass FCSII Power Twins, it felt kind of on the heavy side which took my pre-surf stoke down a notch or two.

It was onshore early yesterday morning and with a 5'+ high tide approaching I waited until around 11:00 to paddle out. It was actually cleaner than it was at dawn and there was some fun chest high lefts coming through at the jetty out in front of my place. Despite having only ridden a twin twice (demoed a JS Black Baron), I felt pretty comfortable from the first wave. The board was really drivey and I was surprised when I went square off the bottom and hit the lip without any perceived slide on one of my forehand waves. I did have trouble sliding the board off a small oncoming sections where I'd usually go into a reverse and spin around. I think the increased fin area compared to my usual MF larges and the narrower tail compared to my NB2 will take some time to figure out how to do certain maneuvers. I only had one wave that gave me the opportunity to really lay into a roundhouse cutback and It felt good until the transition where I transfer weight back onto my toe-side to redirect/rebound off the whitewater, where I felt the big fins fighting me on that quick little pivot.

This morning was offshore with inconsistent (only caught four waves in a 45 minutes) belly high waves. I swapped the Power Twins for a MR (Neo-Glass) set to see what difference I'd feel. Unfortunately despite the fins having less area, they're still pretty heavy and my biggest complaint with the board is I can feel the additional weight constantly. I'm coming off of almost seven months of riding my Varial NB2 which is really light so it's probably more of a pronounced difference than if I've been riding another PU. The MR's felt less positive down the line and when I turned hard off the bottom to push through the back on a closeout, I felt them give out for a split second. I didn't really get a section this morning that allowed a full roundhouse to see how the MR's felt in comparison to the Power Twins.

I have one more set of fins to try (Al Merrick's) that are lighter (Performance Core) and it'll be interesting to see how the 1.07" less surface area, but an increased depth of 0.26" will compare to how the the Power Twins feel.

If the Power Twins end up being the best match, I'll just have to deal with the weight issue. There were some moments between yesterday's and this morning's session, that I could feel the weight helping to carry speed, so I may just have to put myself into a different state of mind paddling out and embrace the speed and flow, without trying to toss it around like my HPSB's.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Interesting combo going rakey on the sides and upright in the middle... might give it a go in my boards too.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
LSD GTX 6’2”, was looking into getting another Ghost to step up a bit from the 6’1” but why not try something new?

Last edited: