Can we talk about HAWAIIAN BIG WAVE SURFERS?

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Blood Hawaiians. Where are they? Are there just very few of them or do they not get publicity?

21 minute video with zero hawaiians featured. WSL racist?

Reactions: Leaverite

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Want to know where they are?

Charging Makaha. That’s where.

TONS of Hawaiians there charging for love of charging. These were the dudes who were charging Waimea long before IG or internet fame. Just for fun.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Want to know where they are?

Charging Makaha. That’s where.

TONS of Hawaiians there charging for love of charging. These were the dudes who were charging Waimea long before IG or internet fame. Just for fun.
BK, JBG, Dane Keahola,.....etc?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
BK, JBG, Dane Keahola,.....etc?
Barry ... no. Johnnyboy, in his early days, alot, and use to call the kids into waves at Makaha. Dane or Mike? Not any more. Some of the guys will show up for Buffalo's Makaha Contest which is really fun and a get together of local families that have participated in the event over the years. Actually, a few generations of families.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Barry ... no. Johnnyboy, in his early days, alot, and use to call the kids into waves at Makaha. Dane or Mike? Not any more. Some of the guys will show up for Buffalo's Makaha Contest which is really fun and a get together of local families that have participated in the event over the years. Actually, a few generations of families.
How old is JBG? I figured he still would be sufing:( Dane was my hereo as a grom and never forget scoring his autograph.at the OP pro.

Reactions: jamesgang

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
How old is JBG? I figured he still would be sufing:( Dane was my hereo as a grom and never forget scoring his autograph.at the OP pro.
Believe JBG is in his mid-50s and still teaches at a surfing school in Town. One time I posted a pic of him on FB and innocently tagged him. Some commenter said a few disparaging words and JBG was not happy.

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Surfed Makaha when the NS was too big for me 10 ft +, what a great experience, seeing the uncles shredding on longboards in triple overhead surf. I was nervous the first time but found as long as you mind your manners no worries( at least during daytime).

Reactions: PPK96754

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
From your mind's eye, can you describe a ride you had at that size?

PS
Anyone ever stay at the hotel right there on the shore? Or is it an apartment building?
its a condo mostly owned by canadian snowbirds
my friend Keith bought a house a couple house down
you can paddle out from his backyard straight out to the point
he was going to eventually retire there but like surfdog he's pissed that he may have to sell it with the new short term rental laws.
I think ants (kaipo's pop) bought tally ho's house just before the clearing. Probably hangs out with Bruce and the other retirees all day.
makaha doesn't feel the same as it was when rell and buff used to hang out in the lineup. Just like northshore has changed over the years. I don't venture to either place anymore just like my homebreak because it makes me sad to remember now it was. Kind of like going to hanalei these days.

lots of hawaiian chargers/hellmen
most got real jobs to feed the family
and most hate crowds

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
i hit westside last week couple times , gave one of my boards away to a guy who ripped at Tr...ks" he let easily 240lb local rip on it i was laughing ,then got to meet a couple Elders with board talk , and the whole history given to me , how hurricane Iwa blew all the sand out and how it changed the beach , history on the surfers back in the day , great people period.

Back to Snow now .

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
lots of hawaiian chargers/hellmen
most got real jobs to feed the family
and most hate crowds
Just came from North Shore. Spent my time getting hassled by Groms who are on a surf trip from the mainland so they can get sponsorship photos. Shouldn't they be in school getting an education? Half the lineup didn't speak english. Almost every car in the lot was a rental. And a few in the lineup were paddling for waves as if their life depended on it when it was chest high. Watched two groms hassle and snake a 50 yo lady on a body board. I remembered why I rarely bothered going out there. Talked to one guy when I was checking the spot and he let me know his son was out there and it seemed like he was doing the surf dad/coach routine. Such a different place now days.