Relocating to San Diego - What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I’m pretty much done making boards
I could write pages on why but I’m not
I can imagine the following:

1 The lousy pay
2 The dust and fumes
3 Entitled prepubescent jerks that I can't slap
4 Entitled postpubescent jerks that won't fight fair if I slap them
5 Sucked up so much, the well of patience dried up permanently due to "soul" subsidence
6 Bro-deals
7 Skill and experience are worth nothing compared youth, looks, and mild athletic skills
8 No paid vacation or sick leave
9 Conservative nature of the boss/business
10 Back-stabbing *-holes and gossip mongering hanger-ons.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I can imagine the following:

1 The lousy pay
2 The dust and fumes
3 Entitled prepubescent jerks that I can't slap
4 Entitled postpubescent jerks that won't fight fair if I slap them
5 Sucked up so much, the well of patience dried up permanently due to "soul" subsidence
6 Bro-deals
7 Skill and experience are worth nothing compared youth, looks, and mild athletic skills
8 No paid vacation or sick leave
9 Conservative nature of the boss/business
10 Back-stabbing *-holes and gossip mongering hanger-ons.
Glassers who dont grumble in hawaii are a premium and are treated very well .
Units will always be there .
Magical place too .

Reactions: JDJ

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
Australia is primarily short period swell. Like size, (weather) conditions and shape, once you get used to surfing California style clean, long period swells, it's hard to get excited about chop. Ask yourself why people like Tomson, Curren and many others moved/returned to live/surf in Calif.

That's the fatal flaw/attraction of California: world class surf, but available only on a limited basis - the classic resource scarcity conundrum. So, the original pioneers had it great, but then like anything which is revolutionary, fun and healthy, it took the world by storm. (Pun semi intended.)

I mean, consider the original exodus to San Diego & Santa Barbara by the West LA/South Bay crew (original CA ground zero) back in the 60s. That is the stuff dreams are made of - N county, Rincon, the ranch. But, nothing lasts forever, especially in the most dynamic economy on the planet.

With or without technology/entertainment, California was always going to become "California" simply because it was an historical accident that the USA was pioneered from the east. If it had been colonized from the west, who in their right minds would move east of Denver/the Rockies? No one, that's who. Which is why anyone with any sense heads west right after college if they didn't already grow up here.

So, we get a doubling rate every 35 -40 years or so. Calif had around 20m+- back in the 70s. If you think 20m->40m had a big impact, try to think through the effect of 40m->80m. And no, it doesn't matter if Calif doesn't actually double what with bleed off to surrounding states. The overall net-net effect in the West is the same.

So, once you're OK that what happened was destined to happen, and there's nothing you could/can do about it, then it helps eliminate any potential sense of loss and/or feeling sorry for yourself. Just count yourself lucky to have surfed - or still surf - at all. Feigned victimhood just marks you as a 'tard; as if you're so special that the world was mean to you.

Still, there remain places locked in a state of arrested development. They key is a non-Western economy - they're the ones that suffer from poor legal protections, lack essential financial liquidity, and in general just putter along around 50-100 years behind the US/Calif in terms of growth/change dynamics.

The downside cost is poverty, crime, etc. But what's the cost of living in a 2A protected country that has the best engineers, artists and legal/financial system in the world? Daily shootings, along with new neighbors moving in every day, the beach becoming crowded even on non-beach days. Every place/choice has trade-offs.

And where might these places be? The pacific rim of latin America of course. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that not just MX nor central America, but Ecuador, Peru & Chile have great, California style surf without the massive crowds. Perhaps more importantly, they lack the type of massive net immigration ie population growth that everyone in the USA is familiar with.