RIP Cino Magallanes

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Texted Jeanie the dawn patrol surf report. She’s up in Haleiwa. Today’s Todd’s birthday and his ashes were scattered in the waters off Ali’i Beach Park

She texted me back that Cino passed away last night. 2020 has been sucking so far.

Cino used to shape for HIC and I got a sexy 5’8 single fin with a 4 channel bottom he shaped in 1979-80. it had a Van Halen airbrush on the bottom thru the channels. That was my third brand new board. Thing just flew.

My first thruster was a Cino shape.Mustve been 1982. 5’7 team trade in from Ray Almony. I learned so much on that board.

Rest In Peace Cino, your craftsmanship brought me and others hours of joy.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Shoot. RIP Cino. One of my friends had a magic Cino with a rising sun airbrush. It was kind of a fuller outline round pin thruster. He always surfed better on that board than any before or since. When it died he tried to get a couple other shapers to make him something similar but they never came out right. I told him just hit up man himself rather than screwing around. Pay the shipping, whatever, a magic board is worth it. He never did.

There's actually a couple Cino shapes floating around this area. Another friend has a grey step up with HIC logos. Also a great board. Smooth curves, plenty of foam and a solid glass job.

Reactions: Boneroni and teeroi

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Sometimes it seems like only a few names get noticed in the world of boards. It’s nice to hear stories of the guys who shaped under a bigger name and gave us great vessels to enjoy waves.

RIP Cino

Reactions: Aruka and teeroi

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Cino shaped at HIC in the late 70's -80's , then Blue Hawaii in the 90's and T&C from about 1995 til 2006
He was the last shortboard shaper at T&C before they completly focused on Glen Pang in 2006
He never was a full on production shaper , liked to keep it around 10 a week

Had a Great wife and lived a Very happy life across the street from V Land .

Reactions: Aruka and teeroi