Bloomberg.....I like the cut of this guy’s jib.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
always?

it was brutal in school coming up

I think it's good to arm kids with strategies and
escalation options to do away with the worst of
the Jack Meridews

I mean, there are always going to be dicks, so they
know how to deal with it...ignore, disengage...but
also not to stand by idly if other people are being
mistreated.
Sure, there were dicks but most of them I knew ended up picking on the wrong kid and got the sh!t beat out of them. Normal differences of opinion were settled outside of school grounds. Every school had a place for that. Kids got swats in school then too.

Sometimes I forget you’re from a different generation.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Yes, you go hammer the person hammering them.

This kind of lesson creates dependency on authority
that's part of it, too

schools are obviously not in a position to build this in to their curriculum

I'm saying that there is any curriculum about bullying is a sign of progress

Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
When did this bullying become a thing? It’s talked about in the press here. It wasn’t a thing when my kids were in that age range (2,000’s).

It became a thing when Facebook started growing. Cyber bullying. Some of which was pretty serious stuff.

Then the definition of bully seemed to morph from physical assault/verbal threats of physical assault/repeated harassment...to occasional teasing, making nasty faces, and doing something mean.

More common than actual bullying seem to be scenarios such as:

Parent: Johnny is bullying Pete. I need a one on one meeting with you and the administrator. We need to figure out how to stop this.

Teacher: I'm surprised to hear that. Johnny and Pete both wrote essays earlier this week about how they are best friends. They always try to be together during group activities and on the way to car pickup this afternoon they were having a conversation about hoping to have a sleepover.

Parent: Well Johnny told Pete he sucks at soccer. Pete said Johnny gave him the thumbs down sign when he said he wanted play on the same team!!! Also, at friend's birthday party a few weeks ago, Johnny told Pete his haircut sucked!!!

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Another common issue is the "victim" is doing an equal amount, if not more, of the so-called "bullying."

I know at least one teacher who got tired of it and started keeping a little notebook of incidents witnessed or reported in her class so that when parents came with claims she had appropriate documentation to give them and idea of what their kid had been doing to the "bully".

This documentation was recently used to shut down an absurd bullying lawsuit before it went to court.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
This is the old over reaction and under reaction both creating possible threats.

My sister the principal is supposed to address online bullying that takes place off of school.

That should be the parents who have control of their kid's access to the WWW.

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Another common issue is the "victim" is doing an equal amount, if not more, of the so-called "bullying."

I know at least one teacher who got tired of it and started keeping a little notebook of incidents witnessed or reported in her class so that when parents came with claims she had appropriate documentation to give them and idea of what their kid had been doing to the "bully".

This documentation was recently used to shut down an absurd bullying lawsuit before it went to court.
This takes up a ton of resources.

When there is an incident, the authorities come to the teacher and say, "have you been tracking this?"

"What? I'm trying to teach my fucking class."

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My sister the principal is supposed to address online bullying that takes place off of school.
I've heard of this.

This bizarre expectation an off campus incident is supposed to be dealt with by a school teacher or admin.

WTF?

The normal thing to do when I was growing up was parents communicated with one another (or if something significant, the police) when something happened outside school.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's crazy.

The exceptions don't line up with the resources provided.

My brother in law thinks it's a conspiracy to make public education collapse on itself.

I think it's just happening.

Mulitivariate.

But what takes its place?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sure, there were dicks but some of them ended up picking on the wrong kid and got the sh!t shot out of them.
Sometimes I forget you're from a different generation. IMHO it's the confluence of documentary evidence. Cell phones = picking on a kid posted on youtube or facebook, then combined with sh!t started getting real in a hurry after Columbine.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It's crazy.

The exceptions don't line up with the resources provided.

My brother in law thinks it's a conspiracy to make public education collapse on itself.

I think it's just happening.

Mulitivariate.

But what takes its place?
Implantable knowledge - downloadable to the brain - no school.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
When my wife was teaching 3rd grade they put a 5ft high climbing wall on the playground.

One of her students fell off it and broke his arm.

The parents sued.

There was consideration about ending recess completely.

I always thought breaking your arm was a normal part of growing up (?).

There's a little insight to the bullying phenom as well.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
When my wife was teaching 3rd grade they put a 5ft high climbing wall on the playground.

One of her students fell off it and broke his arm.

The parents sued.

There was consideration about ending recess completely.

I always thought breaking your arm was a normal part of growing up (?).

There's a little insight to the bullying phenom as well.
If you haven't already seen it, you would love this twitter feed:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I was bullied pretty relentlessly as a little kid by older kids. Strange first name (for those times) and I got moved around to various schools. At one point I was choked out in the back of the school bus. Fully out. I wouldn't say "uncle." The teachers were told multiple times. They did NOTHING. So that summer my grandfather, an ex boxer, came to stay with us. I hit a growth spurt, learned a little bit about how to throw a punch/get my hips behind it. From there bullies got hurt. Usually when little kids fight nobody gets a real injury. I was sending them to the nurses office with black eyes, split lips, cuts. bruises etc. And finally, a broke nose. Superficial damage, but there was a lot of blood for a kid fight. THEN the teachers freaked. They had PTA meetings that were mostly about me. Now I was the one who was in trouble. They couldn't be bothered with my problems previously and left me to my own devices, sink/swim. But when I handled it I was wrong. I was the bad kid. I was now the "bully" because I wasn't getting hurt. From that I learned that in the eyes of a lot of the world, defending yourself successfully made you an attacker and the one who got hurt the "victim."

But I digress.

Why are all the Bernie supporters such angry bullies? :bricks:

LINK

;)

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I was bullied pretty relentlessly as a little kid by older kids. Strange first name (for those times) and I got moved around to various schools. At one point I was choked out in the back of the school bus. Fully out. I wouldn't say "uncle." The teachers were told multiple times. They did NOTHING. So that summer my grandfather, an ex boxer, came to stay with us. I hit a growth spurt, learned a little bit about how to throw a punch/get my hips behind it. From there bullies got hurt. Usually when little kids fight nobody gets a real injury. I was sending them to the nurses office with black eyes, split lips, cuts. bruises etc. And finally, a broke nose. Superficial damage, but there was a lot of blood for a kid fight. THEN the teachers freaked. They had PTA meetings that were mostly about me. Now I was the one who was in trouble. They couldn't be bothered with my problems previously and left me to my own devices, sink/swim. But when I handled it I was wrong. I was the bad kid. I was now the "bully" because I wasn't getting hurt. From that I learned that in the eyes of a lot of the world, defending yourself successfully made you an attacker and the one who got hurt the "victim."

But I digress.

Why are all the Bernie supporters such angry bullies? :bricks:

LINK

;)
tldr

Is the basic gist that you went to prison before Kindergarten?

• Haha
Reactions: GWS_2 and john4surf