Fort Ord Campground

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Never surfed along that stretch.

The really good sandbars never seemed to travel down much farther than Marina SB. From the Salinas rivermouth.
It was good when there those old cement piers were down there.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
My dad was stationed there during the Korean war. They used to run/torture the boot camp guys up in those hills around Fort Ord. My dad ran track in college. They couldn't break him. So they decided to keep him there to run the recruits into the ground and cut orders for guys to head off to Korea. He had a car stashed on base and a surfboard stashed off base. He told me a near death experience with trying to surf The Lane in the middle of winter with no wetsuit. Big middle peak I guess. The concept was paddle out without getting your head wet, catch a wave, don't fall, and go in. He'd gotten away with it a few times. Anyway he fell. Swam in through Cowells. By the time he got to the sand he couldn't walk, seeing spots, etc. He didn't think he was going to make it. He crawled up into the sand and lay in the warm sand. The sun was out. Which probably saved his life. After a few hours he could get up and walk again.

Cool story GWS!

No problem boys and girls.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
My dad was stationed there during the Korean war. They used to run/torture the boot camp guys up in those hills around Fort Ord. My dad ran track in college. They couldn't break him. So they decided to keep him there to run the recruits into the ground and cut orders for guys to head off to Korea. He had a car stashed on base and a surfboard stashed off base. He told me a near death experience with trying to surf The Lane in the middle of winter with no wetsuit. Big middle peak I guess. The concept was paddle out without getting your head wet, catch a wave, don't fall, and go in. He'd gotten away with it a few times. Anyway he fell. Swam in through Cowells. By the time he got to the sand he couldn't walk, seeing spots, etc. He didn't think he was going to make it. He crawled up into the sand and lay in the warm sand. The sun was out. Which probably saved his life. After a few hours he could get up and walk again.

Cool story GWS!

No problem boys and girls.
That actually is a cool story, GWS.

Reactions: mundus

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I surf with this older guy who surfed c street back in the 60's without a wetsuit in winter. They'd knee paddle out & surf but one fall & it was straight in

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
This is pretty cool, It's a beautiful stretch of coastline, unfortunately though it's always overcast and foggy and if it's not it because its blowing like snot.
My dad served there during the Korean War, he was fortunate enough to not be deployed, he was some big shot's clerk and he played in a country western band at the Soldier's Club which you can still see from the water out on the dunes.
It's a landmark that we use when salmon fishing out of Moss.

Reactions: afoaf and john4surf

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
This is pretty cool, It's a beautiful stretch of coastline, unfortunately though it's always overcast and foggy and if it's not it because its blowing like snot.
This is what I've told everyone. I told them it was cold and there were booties involved EWWWW. Also said there were Brazilians and Floridians and everything is slow and half-assed and there's no real Mexican food or fancy sh!t nearby if you're up for that.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
That stretch is sharky as hell. Large adults seen there quite a bit. Plenty of locals bypass it because of that.

plenty of sightings on the regular all over the bay but that area seems to be liked by the big dogs.
Marina State Beach, just to the north has had two pretty knarly shark attacks on surfers. Deep water offshore that shoals up quickly. Allows the big boys to cruise in close...

Reactions: santacruzin

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Marina State Beach, just to the north has had two pretty knarly shark attacks on surfers. Deep water offshore that shoals up quickly. Allows the big boys to cruise in close...
Yes. One was a very close friend of a buddy of mine.

I live in the area. Juvenile whites are spotted on the regular all over. Saw one myself in August, while in the water. & There was a serious “bump” this summer as well.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Soquel Canyon, one of the deepest submarine canyons on the west coast, there's some real trippy things that live down there.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
You get south of Marina towards Seaside and there really isn't a lot of beach. The ocean comes right up to the base of the bluffs except on low tide. Why the old Officers Club at Fort Ord is undermined and ready to fall into the drink.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Surfing might be a little sketchy, but if you like to fish...
Wife and I stayed at that motel in Sand City that's on the ocean dunes, some of the best Bar Perch fishing I've ever seen.
Apparently, there's a real good Striper run along there too. The surf fishermen will love the new campground.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Yes. One was a very close friend of a buddy of mine.

I live in the area. Juvenile whites are spotted on the regular all over. Saw one myself in August, while in the water. & There was a serious “bump” this summer as well.
RIP to Todd aka”sharkboy”. To survive such a gnarly attack and up dying in a car wreck was horrible.
I have a buddy who spearfishes there. Next level bravery.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Surfing might be a little sketchy, but if you like to fish...
Wife and I stayed at that motel in Sand City that's on the ocean dunes, some of the best Bar Perch fishing I've ever seen.
Apparently, there's a real good Striper run along there too. The surf fishermen will love the new campground.
that's a nice little spot there

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I surf with this older guy who surfed c street back in the 60's without a wetsuit in winter. They'd knee paddle out & surf but one fall & it was straight in
There wasn't much at California St in the early 1960's and we knee paddled on longboards most all the time just to stay dry. O'Neal wetsuit uppers, were used first and we're called "duck tails" because surfers never used the " under the crotch" flap attachment.

Reactions: Ifallalot and Havoc