Gary Gregg RIP

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Have several stories, but one comes to mind about 10 or more years ago. I was staying at his place and after a night of talking story and a few beers, woke to a fresh pot of coffee but empty house. Gaz was gondo? Turned out he was up at dawn and ON IT. No wake up call for the bros
:lol:
Found him lapping an epic right hand bank I have yet to see going like that to this day.
8)

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Gary grew up on the beach in Durban South Africa, surfed J-Bay a bunch as a young teen, bailed from SA when he turned 17 as at that age it was mandatory to join the SA apartheid supporting army.
Surfed his way thru Europe and HI for a few years, washed up in the PNW, chased waves all over the Olympic Penninsula, devoted to Taekwondo managed a dojo and kicked ass in tournaments all over the PNW for years.
Fought the vile disease as long as he could, then said pau, died within hours after saying goodby to his son, in the arms of his girlfriend Robin.
Gary and Robin had just recently hooked up again last spring when she was visiting family in Oregon, where she was originally from, and when Gary became ill flew back from France, putting her life on hold and staying by his side to his last breath.
Gary and I spent endless sessions surfing and chasing salmon together, and he was more then a friend, he was my brother.
gaz.jpg

Last edited:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I didn't know Gary super well but interacted with him a fair amount here and on an Oregon forum here and there over the past 15 years or so. We eventually met somewhere on the coast and every time I saw him afterward he treated my family and I like we were his own family. He was the epitome of Aloha even on the Oregon coast. Everyone i know who surfs regularly around his local knew him and had nothing but love and respect for him. He was truly one of a kind and a local legend who will be fiercely missed, not only by his close friends and family, but by all of us who are better of for having met and known him. Rest in Peace / Rip in Paradise Gaz! Aloha braddah!

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Gary grew up on the beach in Durban South Africa, surfed J-Bay a bunch as a young teen, bailed from SA when he turned 17 as at that age it was mandatory to join the SA apartheid supporting army.
Surfed his way thru Europe and HI for a few years, washed up in the PNW, chased waves all over the Olympic Penninsula, devoted to Taekwondo managed a dojo and kicked ass in tournaments all over the PNW for years.
Fought the vile disease as long as he could, then said pau, died within hours after saying goodby to his son, in the arms of his girlfriend Robin.
Robin was an old love from long ago, who'd been living in France the past 25 years, where she made a living getting shot out of a cannon at events across Europe, a compact yoga powerhouse of a gal.
Gary and Robin had just recently hooked up again last spring when she was visiting family in Oregon, where she was originally from, and when Gary became ill flew back from France, putting her life on hold and staying by his side to his last breath.
Gary and I spent endless sessions surfing and chasing salmon together, and he was more then a friend, he was my brother.
View attachment 86408
Thank you nimby, for giving us a little more perspective on Gary. From the folks that knew him here on the erBB, he was most certainly a stand up guy and Father.

Feb 12, 2020
RIP
Had to join the forum after lurking longtime because this dude made PC rad all by himself. That silver fox was one face from PC that I was always happy to see on my frequent commutes over from Bend. 2007-2017 I was addicted to the cold waves out there. Gary never judged; DGAF that I kneeboarded or why. Miss getting drilled out there on days that splashed over the big rock. That red board; prob worth considerably more that his truck if I remember it correctly? Awesome guy; nothing to prove obvs. So he shared; even with a crusty old kneeboarder Pax Gaz