When did groms dropping in become normal?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
When I was a grom, dropping in on one of the locs would have been a death sentence. At least for being able to get a wave for the next three months.

I remember when Peter Mel was a little grom around here in Aptos/La Selva. One of the locs, Chris G., used to pick on him and make him cry. We all can see how that has turned out...

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I was out once at Steamer Lane on a small summer day, there was about 5 guys out. Waist high, longboards only, just big enough to not be scary close to the rocks. One guy was a dad teaching his little kid how to surf - he pushed that kid into waves all day long blatantly in front of everybody. Nobody really cared - it was a fun day and the vibe was super mellow and the kid was only about 8 years old. But I am sure an etiquette lesson was learned.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
A surf coach (has been pro) used to bring his "students" out to our local every afternoon. Everybody on the local group text thread agreed we would hassle him verbally every time we saw him bring groms out. After a few months he stopped bringing them out. He rarely comes out any more.

Another situation has arisen. A multiple World Champ has started bringing her non-profit group out whenever it's glassy. I guess the Target and RedBull money wasn't enough. We're devising how to handle it on the group thread. A little different situation as her success was a point of pride for our local spot (she grew up surfing there), but now she's bringing a whole crew out and ruining the vibe.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I’ve seen kids hassle dudes who are legends in Hawaii. I’m not going to name drop but let’s just say they have more then put in their time and are relatively well known.

But these transplant kids have no idea and just think the dude is another dark guy infringing on their peak.

These kids come from the mainland with rich parents and an obnoxious sense of entitlement

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
A lot of them don't even look. They just go.

There's a kid at Brazil Canyon who has been there a lot over the past month who I've been watching burn guys relentlessly, I went ballistic on him when he did it to me last week...

"Sorry I didn't even know you were there"
"You aren't fvkcing looking"
"I haven't been feeling well, I have mono!"

OK....

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I just don't get it. I didn't dare paddle to the peak and hassle older locals when I was a kid.
Me neither.

This all changed with the exalt-the-grom homeschool/social media culture when it was discovered young groms could make surf industry guys mucho bucks.

These groms are potential moneymakers - befriend them - encourage them - don't **** off their parents.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
I’ve seen kids hassle dudes who are legends in Hawaii. I’m not going to name drop but let’s just say they have more then put in their time and are relatively well known.

But these transplant kids have no idea and just think the dude is another dark guy infringing on their peak.

These kids come from the mainland with rich parents and an obnoxious sense of entitlement
You don't have to come from rich parents to be an asshole.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
You don't have to come from rich parents to be an asshole.
No. You don’t.

But a lot of these kids who are acting this way come from rich transplants in Hawaii.

I like whomever said in the thread earlier tell them they suck at surfing. Going to start using that.

Reactions: jamesgang

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I don’t get it. It seems like if some grom is dropping in on you, it’s pretty easy to sit right next to said grom and burn the sh!t out of him on every wave he even looks at.
That’s exactly what I do. But I’d rather them learn some respect.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
A kid accidentally dropping in, honest mistake... OK.

The kids that watch you as you paddle in and start coming down the line, then they drop in? KNEE OF DEATH!!!

When I first started going to Central America on surf trips I was blown away by the number of Brazilians that just burned me cold. When I protested they threw up their hands in disbelief. My friends, we all started surfing in the early 70s, were also amazed. So I sat back in the lineup and watched what was going on. I guess there is zero etiquette in the water in Brazil. These guys and girls were burning each other happily as frequently as they were burning others and locals? We generally planned trips around big swells and quickly learned that half of Brazil did the same and would meet us there. We now plan strikes when the surf is good but not great, happy to sacrifice quality of surf for peace of mind in the water.
Of course not all Brazilian surfers are the same but a very high percentage seem to be. I can safely say that I will never go to Brazil to surf.
It happens more and more in Australia with young locals and visitors, often because learners just don’t know any better or don’t care enough to look inside before taking a wave. I choose to surf in spots with older surfers when I can as there tends to be more order and a better vibe. Finding spots OS with almost no other surfers in the water is gold. Thankfully I live in just such a place for a good portion of the year. Even there in the last 5 or so years it gets bad enough in peak tourist periods in a couple of spots that I limit sessions there to dawn patrols. Thankfully that is twice a year for 3-4 weeks only.
Surfing is not what it once was. Dealing with assholes and idiots in the water and paying for parking in popular spots is about as far from the soul of surfing that one can get.
EOR.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don’t get it. It seems like if some grom is dropping in on you, it’s pretty easy to sit right next to said grom and burn the sh!t out of him on every wave he even looks at.
If there is a collision you will be at fault and maybe get sued.

Or his parents call the news and you're plastered on local TV or social media as a bully.

etc.

Reactions: Ifallalot and Havoc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
A lot of them don't even look. They just go.

There's a kid at Brazil Canyon who has been there a lot over the past month who I've been watching burn guys relentlessly, I went ballistic on him when he did it to me last week...

"Sorry I didn't even know you were there"
"You aren't fvkcing looking"
"I haven't been feeling well, I have mono!"

OK....
That is funny.

I love accidentally colliding and acting all concerned.

Oh, I'm so sorry!

I haven't done that in a while but I have done it.

It does the trick.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
When I first started going to Central America on surf trips I was blown away by the number of Brazilians that just burned me cold. When I protested they threw up their hands in disbelief. My friends, we all started surfing in the early 70s, were also amazed. So I sat back in the lineup and watched what was going on. I guess there is zero etiquette in the water in Brazil. These guys and girls were burning each other happily as frequently as they were burning others and locals? We generally planned trips around big swells and quickly learned that half of Brazil did the same and would meet us there. We now plan strikes when the surf is good but not great, happy to sacrifice quality of surf for peace of mind in the water.
Of course not all Brazilian surfers are the same but a very high percentage seem to be. I can safely say that I will never go to Brazil to surf.
Easy to see why the majority are despised by the global consensus of surf, have met some really nice Brazzos in the water but most are very poorly behaved.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Board is a spear that can easily be launched at shoulder hopper who caves in section. . Whooops lost control of board.

• Haha
Reactions: rts265