**BONZER THREAD 2014**

Jul 20, 2008
Does the MBLV handle steep late drops / dumpy beach breaks like the BB? It seem like the bulbous nose could be an issue. I may be stupid for asking because my Egg can handle it for sure. It does look like the nose area is wider on the MBLV than the Egg. I’m I thinking correct?

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Does the MBLV handle steep late drops / dumpy beach breaks like the BB? It seem like the bulbous nose could be an issue. I may be stupid for asking because my Egg can handle it for sure. It does look like the nose area is wider on the MBLV than the Egg. I’m I thinking correct?
Where i live in Australia, the break i ride 80% of the time is called mystics and it's a really curvey, dumpy beach break - the closest thing you would find to a beachie that breaks like a shallow rock ledge. I ride the MLV there all the time with no issues. Whatever Malcolm does with the rocker takes care of the nose. And don't be afraid of volume in it as it seems to improve the ride. Mine is 5'6, 21 1/4, 2 5/8 and i can ride HP boards at 24litres.

Having watched Sterling Spencer's many surf clips of the gulf area and let's face it - he is an amazing surfer with an uncanny appreciation and ability for smaller waves. But i think the mlv would be great for those types of waves.

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks all for your input. It’s a huge help for someone who doesn’t have easy access to Bonzer’s. I’m the only person in my area of the Gulf coast that rides them. I first fell in love with with them about 10 years ago. I had a GH speed egg type shape (I think). After that board I knew I had to have a CB. The GH was really awesome though. I should have held on to it. The only other person I know of or ever seen out this way is Sterling Spencer that has a Bonzer. His area of surf is about 4 hours from me and if you have ever seen footage of his home break, that’s more of the type of surf I want another Bonzer for. Pretty much for the quality days from waist to just OH. My Egg takes it from there. Here’s a pic of the GH I had. Just for show.View attachment 85932View attachment 85933View attachment 85934
I remember stalking this board from Swaylocks, to craigslist Texas?! , and then finally contacting you about it.
So sick.

Jul 20, 2008
That’s right, a guy inTexas bought it. I definitely regret selling it. At the time I was working a lot and was out of shape. Stupid move and never again!

Jul 20, 2008
Where i live in Australia, the break i ride 80% of the time is called mystics and it's a really curvey, dumpy beach break - the closest thing you would find to a beachie that breaks like a shallow rock ledge. I ride the MLV there all the time with no issues. Whatever Malcolm does with the rocker takes care of the nose. And don't be afraid of volume in it as it seems to improve the ride. Mine is 5'6, 21 1/4, 2 5/8 and i can ride HP boards at 24litres.

Having watched Sterling Spencer's many surf clips of the gulf area and let's face it - he is an amazing surfer with an uncanny appreciation and ability for smaller waves. But i think the mlv would be great for those types of waves.
Sounds awesome...thanks!

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
So I guess this is probably a stupid bonzer fin question but I'll ask anyway. I've decided on a MBLV for east coast beach break. I kind of assumed everyone got the side fins glassed-on but after reading all prior pages of posts, there are lots of pics of removable side fins. Any thoughts? I don't travel much but I like to go to PR once a year. Thanks!

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
So I guess this is probably a stupid bonzer fin question but I'll ask anyway. I've decided on a MBLV for east coast beach break. I kind of assumed everyone got the side fins glassed-on but after reading all prior pages of posts, there are lots of pics of removable side fins. Any thoughts? I don't travel much but I like to go to PR once a year. Thanks!
Years ago I had a Bonzer with Red X fin system in it. Not sure about the newer systems but the red x had room to adjust the runners. For the life of me, I could never get them dialed. Wish Id have just had them glassed on.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Go glass on and use foam blocks or cardboard and tape to protect.

Reactions: njsurfer42

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Years ago I had a Bonzer with Red X fin system in it. Not sure about the newer systems but the red x had room to adjust the runners. For the life of me, I could never get them dialed. Wish Id have just had them glassed on.
as mentioned foam, etc and youre traveling safe

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Ive tossed around the JT build in my mind for Kiting but just cant justify the cost. Not sure I want a board that long LOL

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
What’s the standard glass schedule with Malcolm for pu/poly? I might go a bit heavier on the deck I want this board to last but I just want old school build

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
What’s the standard glass schedule with Malcolm for pu/poly? I might go a bit heavier on the deck I want this board to last but I just want old school build
No idea he does not do glass in shop sends out for glassing and both boards I have done did epoxy 6/6 6 sglass. I am not sure if he sends pu/pe boards South to glass.

Reactions: rts265

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think depends on board. On my 8 footer we went 6x4x6
On my 8' ewing log I went 6/6 6 s glass to get some weight and feel more like a nose rider and trim beast;) My AO is perfect blend at 6/4 6 s glass but I am not going to the skies still feels perfect amount of strength vs lightness.

Reactions: grg