Board goes frontside but doesn't go backside

FARTHAMMER

Nep status
Apr 19, 2009
I don't like the feel of keel fins backside but love how regular twins and quads go! I would try a larger or smaller set of fins before giving up on the board.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I have never experienced this with a board but hear it often enough around here to pose the question.

Can someone who's experienced this explain?

When you go frontside, aren't you engaging both toeside and heelside rails and same going backside? So if your board goes frontside, shouldn't it be able to go backside?

What's also interesting is I've never heard the opposite......that a board goes backside, but doesn't go frontside.
Fin placements would help + Dims of board

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
1 . Tail width ( to wide for your weight )
2. Tail rocker ( to low )
3. Fins ( to much rake or to stiff of material)
This. All 3 of these. It happens to me during BS bottom turns on twins, usually keel fins. Slide out, blow a perfectly good left. Frustrating for sure. Top turns are fine. I don't have this issue on quads.
As GG notes, twin fins closer to the tail seems to help feeling more locked in, less loose- which I especially have come to appreciate as the surf gets bigger.
So, when I'm riding a classic TFK, I tend to stick to rights. Which, let's be honest, I surf rights 70% of the time and prefer anyway. :LOL:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I have never experienced this with a board but hear it often enough around here to pose the question.

Can someone who's experienced this explain?

When you go frontside, aren't you engaging both toeside and heelside rails and same going backside? So if your board goes frontside, shouldn't it be able to go backside?

What's also interesting is I've never heard the opposite......that a board goes backside, but doesn't go frontside.
My CI Dagger went better backside.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
You all are tripping. It's rained like 80 inches since september and I haven't had a decent session since I got back from mex a month ago. If the sun doesn't come out soon I'm gonna lose it.
Yeah, but compared to some of the sh!t down here....I wonder

Reactions: Aruka
Jan 5, 2010
La Jolla, CA
it's funny, I had a twinzer that went better backside than frontside
I have the same issue with a twinzer (MR/80's style twin shape) I have... it's amazingly fast and turns on a dime backside, but I dig rail and slide out on cutbacks going frontside. I figured it was because I my feet land further back on the board when I pop up backside (so my back foot is at the back of the traction pad) as opposed to frontside where my back foot always lands at the very front of the pad.

Does anyone else have this issue with differing foot placement depending on which way the pop up?

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
My front foot doesn’t get far enough forward popping up backside sometimes. I’m working on it.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Doesn't anyone think to run a different fin on their frontside to their backside to (oops got it backwards lol...backside to frontside) to see what happens. After all peeps do actually buy assymetrical boards and they have twin/quad fin set ups.
Easy potential fix.

Reactions: bigglesworth

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I can understand if people have trouble making a board work backside because of their approach or technique, but that doesn't mean the board doesn't go backside. That just means they need to adjust their technique.

But if a board doesn't work for you, then I completely get that and it shouldn't really work frontside or backside, right?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
At the end of the day doesn't the way the board generates speed and turns mostly come down to rocker and rail and fins?

For instance, a board that feels totally dead under your feet but other people are able to ride no problem is going to be a technique issue - you vs the rocker.