When to call someone a kook without being judgemental

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I think we can all agree that judging who’s the kook is one of the best ways to pass time in the lineup. It’s especially fun when we do it silently. All inside our fragile little minds...

Reactions: mundus and teeroi

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I got pitched into oblivion once at Chipehua and nearly landed on Torey Meister.

I could tell he was thinking what a fucking kook but he was nice about it.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I got pitched into oblivion once at Chipehua and nearly landed on Torey Meister.

I could tell he was thinking what a fucking kook but he was nice about it.
That spot made me feel like I could actually surf. One of my favorite sessions ever.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
wear boxing gloves so everyone knows u train and wont mess with u

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
I was with my toddler today along the walking path that goes down to the beach, and I saw that guy again with his minimal with a tailpad so I asked him why he put a tailpad on his minimal, and he said for traction, no duh? He then asked me if I surf, and I said pretty much everyday in the summer. He nodded his head and walked away. Who knows, maybe the shop suggested the tailpad or he asked on Reddit under a post called "newbie advice"

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was with my toddler today along the walking path that goes down to the beach, and I saw that guy again with his minimal with a tailpad so I asked him why he put a tailpad on his minimal, and he said for traction, no duh? He then asked me if I surf, and I said pretty much everyday in the summer. He nodded his head and walked away. Who knows, maybe the shop suggested the tailpad or he asked on Reddit under a post called "newbie advice"

He was probably thinking- "Summer....pffft...when it's small and warm and sunny and he thinks the girls are watching. Kook."

Reactions: Topazslider

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
the terrible surfer whos out there every day is a bigger kook than the terrible surfer who goes once a week

Apr 13, 2012
“The way he humble brags through every interview, and reports from friends who have been surfing at spots in Indo when he and his crew have turned up, eg. shouting in the line-up: "THIS IS OUR OFFICE! WE'RE HERE TO GO TO WORK!"
This...

IMHO the biggest kooks are the ones who should know better, but choose to act like children in a candy store. Not the wide-eyed beginner, or the over-amped intermediate, it’s the ordained master who should know better and can’t control themselves. And put other people in jeopardy. Saw Gerry Lopez repeatedly stuff his own film crew at low-tide 8’ moneytrees. WTF. Peter McCabe wasn’t much better. Sounds like Billy Kemper is right up there. Emotional IQ of a 4 yr old.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
“The way he humble brags through every interview, and reports from friends who have been surfing at spots in Indo when he and his crew have turned up, eg. shouting in the line-up: "THIS IS OUR OFFICE! WE'RE HERE TO GO TO WORK!"
This...

IMHO the biggest kooks are the ones who should know better, but choose to act like children in a candy store. Not the wide-eyed beginner, or the over-amped intermediate, it’s the ordained master who should know better and can’t control themselves. And put other people in jeopardy. Saw Gerry Lopez repeatedly stuff his own film crew at low-tide 8’ moneytrees. WTF. Peter McCabe wasn’t much better. Sounds like Billy Kemper is right up there. Emotional IQ of a 4 yr old.

Of all the places in the world, I've run into that attitude at pismo beach peir more times than I can count. Twenty somethings with esteem surf shop stickers, worst.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Other day we are surfing a shallow reef with just me and my friend. A guy paddles out on a SUP and tries to take off from outside between my friend and myself.

We both just looked at him like he was the biggest kook ever for even considering it and he got the hint and moved on down and found somewhere else