When to call someone a kook without being judgemental

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
I was out yesterday and this guy paddles out with a brill cream helmet and he kept patting the back of his head and I was thinking "what a kook," but he wasn't acting like a kook, so I didn't want to yell that out to him. Then he caught a wave late and I could see him mostly go straight and right about near the end he let out some stoked yells like "yeeeewwww?" but I thought, well, glad he was stoked. Then he paddled back out and sat near me and I saw the tail pad on the back of his new 8' PU Mini-mal and couldn't help blurt out at him "KOOK!"

• Haha
Reactions: flyinraptr

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
We were talking about that in the water today. Anyone Who tried for a set with a Costco board when the waves are good. Automatic burn.

Anyone with reef booties in Hawaii.

Kook talk set me off. I said anyone with booties, a soft top, gloves and a helmet with a go pro all at the same time just beat them up on the beach. $100 soft top, but $300 for a GoPro, $100 for a helmet, another $200 for gloves, booties, Hurley Phantom shorts mo betta spend your money on surf lessons. The crew were all cracking up I told them I’m all fired up I’m going smash the next wave. I did. Haha.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
We were talking about that in the water today. Anyone Who tried for a set with a Costco board when the waves are good. Automatic burn.

Kook talk set me off. I said anyone with booties, a soft top, gloves and a helmet with a go pro all at the same time just beat them up on the beach. $100 soft top, but $300 for a GoPro, $100 for a helmet, another $200 for gloves, booties, Hurley Phantom shorts mo betta spend your money on surf lessons. The crew were all cracking up I told them I’m all fired up I’m going smash the next wave. I did. Haha.
Not sure why the board or outfit matter if the person can surf, so long as they are not oblivious or a dick in the lineup, for example:
- guy on wavestorm gets shacked at the wedge, makes it. kook (?)
- kalani robb shreds trestles on a bodyboard. kook (?)
- standup guy just surfed passed you after beginning the wave 75 yards up the point. kook (?)

- guy who will only ever ride a shortboard, pump furiously, and call out non-shortboards for being kooks. kook (?)

...i'm glad you like your surfboard choice man.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Should’ve added this there are surfers that absolutely rip that are total kooks.

And surfers that suck at surfing that aren’t kooks at all.

Pros on soft tops are getting paid to ride those pos. It’s ruining the used board market in surf shops too. Roy who owns RV surf shop was out today. He said some lady came into his shop to sell 3 Costco boards. He offered her $35 each. She said he was crazy she wanted $70. He told her she was crazy for a $100 board she said she paid $125. He had to explain to her he would try to sell them for $70 ea. Out of the $35 profit on each he would have to pay taxes, rent, wages, utilities, etc. She passed. She’s three times a kook.

Very happy with my board choices.

Reactions: Topazslider

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Should’ve added this there are surfers that absolutely rip that are total kooks.

And surfers that suck at surfing that aren’t kooks at all.

Pros on soft tops are getting paid to ride those pos. It’s ruining the used board market in surf shops too. Roy who owns RV surf shop was out today. He said some lady came into his shop to sell 3 Costco boards. He offered her $35 each. She said he was crazy she wanted $70. He told her she was crazy for a $100 board she said she paid $125. He had to explain to her he would try to sell them for $70 ea. Out of the $35 profit on each he would have to pay taxes, rent, wages, utilities, etc. She passed. She’s three times a kook.

Very happy with my board choices.

I'm with you on the point that there are rippers who are kooks and the unskilled who are not.

On the other hand - I dont care about surf shops, the 'market', the industry, etc. If those who are interested in making money can find a way to do so they will, those who cannot wont. Don't blame technology or personal preference, or the fact that some people cannot afford a $1000 ($650, $400, $200, $150...) surfboard (i know you didn't directly blame these things but the story about a negotiation between a shop owner and a soft-top queenpin appears to be attempting to tug at my heart-strings). People will ride what they can, people will ride what they like. Kook will be kooks. Business is business. Do the best you can and/or whatever you want.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I'm with you on the point that there are rippers who are kooks and the unskilled who are not.

On the other hand - I dont care about surf shops, the 'market', the industry, etc. If those who are interested in making money can find a way to do so they will, those who cannot wont. Don't blame technology or personal preference, or the fact that some people cannot afford a $1000 ($650, $400, $200, $150...) surfboard (i know you didn't directly blame these things but the story about a negotiation between a shop owner and a soft-top queenpin appears to be attempting to tug at my heart-strings). People will ride what they can, people will ride what they like. Kook will be kooks. Business is business. Do the best you can and/or whatever you want.

Dude was that your Mom at Rvs? Sorry for calling her a kook but she exhibited kookage behavior. If you have no love for surf shops that says a lot.

Let me explain something to you. Waves are a finite resource. One of the ways those resources get allocated are by creating categories. Locals, rippers, kooks, donkeys, transplants etc. If someone paddles out to one of the spots I surf they automatically get filed into one of those categories. Reef booties and soft tops go into the kook category. A local or a ripper can get a pass on a soft top or booties but like Desi said Lucy you got sum splaining to do.

I really don’t care if this hurts your feelings or upsets your view of surfing but it’s my experience at the spots I surf.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

I caught set waves all day at Banyans on a Wavestorm.

The next day I bought a used Tokoro.

Reactions: teeroi

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Today I was treated by a certain crew of “kooks” that frequent the area.

They are employees (and clingers) of a well known clothing company known for their expensive, high quality products and “eco friendly” marketing position, based in ventura.

5 guys in one car, all wearing the company brand wetsuit, a suit that is always praised by those who get them for free and almost always panned by those that pay for them, they ride the “correct” (in fashion alternatives) surfboards and all with mustaches.

They paddle out (me and one other guy in the water) go straight into position and start taking waves. Then paddle back out sitting to the inside of me. When I paddled deeper past one guy he called me out for back paddling.

So I said some sh!t to them and got the old, “it’s all good bro, plenty for everyone...”

Kooks.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
They paddle out (me and one other guy in the water) go straight into position and start taking waves. Then paddle back out sitting to the inside of me. When I paddled deeper past one guy he called me out for back paddling.

that sounds so familiar

also most kooks dont know theyre kooks

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I think everyone of us - if we're being totally honest with ourselves - can or have had moments or days where we could be considered kooks. These days i try not to pay too much attention to what others are doing with the exception for the occasional laugh. In terms of not being judgemental - i limited to someone who is oblivious to their surroundings, situation or risk i.e. someone taking a hike in the desert without water, proper gear, etc.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
sometimes i get a funky wave with backwash and surfit like a kook and some guy is watching me. i wonder if he thinks i am a kook (always surf like that)
and if he thinks that, does he think he is better?

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Haha. Figured you chime in. Hope your scoring on the Big Island if that’s the Banyans you’re talking about. Cheeee
‘This was some time ago. Not today.

Yes, banyans on the big island.

that whole thing is a funny story.

short version, I got called out. Big scary bruddah paddles out to give me a beat down. Turns out I had trained with big scary bruddah the night before so it was all smiles. It was “suggested” that I use a different board in the future.

bought the tokoro. On the way out ran into the original dude that called me out and gave him the tokoro.

Reactions: teeroi

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think everyone of us - if we're being totally honest with ourselves - can or have had moments or days where we could be considered kooks. These days i try not to pay too much attention to what others are doing with the exception for the occasional laugh. In terms of not being judgemental - i limited to someone who is oblivious to their surroundings, situation or risk i.e. someone taking a hike in the desert without water, proper gear, etc.
absolutely. Couple weeks ago I stuffed a dude on a good wave because I thought he was too deep. It was bad.

kook, out.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If you blow a takeoff, because your hand slips off the rail, and you land on your face, you are a kook.

I
Am
A
Kook
you should put some cut pieces of tail pad on the rails where hands go. The kicker on the back of the pad works best. That will definitely remove all kook from your game :)