More extreme weather events...

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
That is because you consort with an educated class of individuals that are of means.
so, what? you need to make your petty correction because....you're out
to make sure that the uneducated class of individuals on this forum who
are not of means have an ultra clear grasp of the point that mundus was
making in refutation of your logically fallacious thread?

are we having a bad day, casa?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
We're in a clear warming trend.
The Greenhouse Effect exists.
Greenhouse Gases exist.
Human activity results in increased Greenhouse Gases.
I am skeptical of the alarmist's certainty with respect to the degree to which human activity influences the clear warming trend. But, to quote Elon Musk, "why run this crazy experiment" on planet earth? Its too dangerous. We should pivot. Given the facts, the rational/conservative response should be to play it safe - reduce and reuse in order to curtail pollution. The rational/liberal conclusion should be to innovate and make changes to curtail pollution.

Both would be good responses. Complimentary.

But they would both require a lot of effort. Fortunately, both sides are too consumed with hatred to form a meaningful partnership along these lines, so we will be spared this herculean effort and instead run the science experiment on Mother Nature.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
so, what? you need to make your petty correction because....you're out
to make sure that the uneducated class of individuals on this forum who
are not of means have an ultra clear grasp of the point that mundus was
making in refutation of your logically fallacious thread?
No.

Chill out.

I'm saying there's a significant difference, that's all.

Many people don't look beyond the surface.

This is driving the constant "every weather anomaly = The Day After Tomorrow" in the media and popular culture.

Hottest, driest year in just over a century of records.

are we having a bad day, casa?
No.

Good window of surf today.

Hope you got some.

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
You'll find lots of info here Caca.

Driest Dec on record. I think the second hottest year on record.

Summary
  • This Statement describes the dangerous fire weather conditions during spring 2019.

• Across Australia as a whole, spring 2019 saw the highest fire weather danger as measured by the Forest
    Fire Danger Index (FFDI)1, with record high values observed in areas of all States and Territories.

• More than 95% of Australia by area had spring accumulated FFDI values that were very much above average (highest 10% of years), including almost 60% of the country that was highest on record for spring.

• The season began with areas of northeast New South Wales and southeast Queensland having above average daytime temperatures, very low humidity, and gusty winds leading to dangerous fire weather conditions. FFDI values were 100 or above (catastrophic category) at some locations in New South Wales on 6 September, which marked the onset of numerous large fires in eastern Australia.

• In October and November, days of dangerous fire weather conditions affected all States and Territories.
  • For northeast New South Wales, the area averaged daily FFDI value was 25 or above (very high category) on 21 days during spring 2019. This was well above the previous highest count since 1950 of 11 such days in spring 2002 and an average count of 2 days.

• On 20 November, the area-averaged daily FFDI value for the Agricultural districts of South Australia was the region's highest on record for any month.

• The high fire dangers were exacerbated by widespread and severe rainfall deficiencies and hydrological drought, with continued low rainfall during spring and much above average temperatures.

• The dangerous fire weather conditions during spring 2019 is consistent with the increasingly severe fire weather seen in many areas of the country, owing to increasing temperatures and reduced cool season rainfall. This trend is largest in southern and eastern Australia, including areas that were affected by the elevated fire weather conditions in spring 2019.

• 2. Fire weather in spring 2019
    Daytime temperatures were above average to highest on record for spring over most of Australia (Figure 4). Australia's mean maximum temperature for spring 2019 was 2.41 °C above average, the second-warmest on record behind 2014.

• Rainfall in spring 2019 was below average to lowest on record over many areas of Australia (Figure 8). For Australia as a whole, rainfall was 62% below average, making it the driest spring on record (previous low in 1967). The low rainfall added to pre-existing rainfall deficiencies and low soil moisture, exacerbating the meteorological and hydrological drought conditions and meaning forest fuels remained dry.

• Australia’s climate in 2019
    • Australia's warmest year on record, with the annual national mean temperature 1.52 °C above average
    • Both mean annual maximum and minimum temperatures above average for all States and the Northern Territory
    • Annual national mean maximum temperature warmest on record (2.09 °C above average)
    • Widespread warmth throughout the year; January, February, March, April, July, October, and December all amongst the ten warmest on record for Australian mean temperature for their respective months
    • Significant heatwaves in January and in December
    • Australia's driest year on record
    • Nationally-averaged rainfall 40% below average for the year at 277.6 mm
    • Rainfall below average for most of Australia
    • Rainfall above average for parts of Queensland's northwest and northern tropics
    • Much of Australia affected by drought, which was especially severe in New South Wales and southern Queensland
    • Widespread severe fire weather throughout the year; national annual accumulated Forest Fire Danger Index highest since 1950, when national records began
    • One of the strongest positive Indian Ocean Dipole events on record; El Niño–Southern Oscillation neutral throughout the year

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
http://joannenova.com.au/2019/01/forgotten-history-50-degrees-everywhere-right-across-australia-in-the-1800s/

Don’t believe your lying eyes — Australian newspaper archives are full of temperatures recorded higher than 121 in the shade which is 50C. All of these temperatures in the map below are found in historic newspaper archives. Measurements done after 1910 are even done with official Stevenson screens, yet the BOM “throws them away”. It’s true that ones done in the 1800s are often recorded on non-standard equipment, or are just literally “in the shade” under cover. So some of these, perhaps many, are one or two degrees too high. But even if we take two degrees off, how scary is global warming when Australia knew many days of 48C and 49C and some at 50C 120 years ago? The BOM — supposedly so concerned about the State of Our Climate — show little interest in talking about our history or in analyzing it, or even mentioning it.

And modern temperatures are recorded on electronic equipment, sometimes in areas affected by urban heat islands (concrete and cars).
--------------------------------------------------

Even in the USA, there are temp extremes hot, cold, wet, dry, snow, all over recorded in the 1880's and 1890's that still stand to this day.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
If we as Americans and Europeans pay more for everything that will be sure to fix the climate while the shitholes catch up!

We've got this all figured out

Reactions: laidback

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If we as Americans and Europeans pay more for everything that will be sure to fix the climate while the shitholes catch up!

We've got this all figured out
More bike lanes too.

Remove regular lanes of traffic to create them.

I think I might be able to get in somewhere around 1000 feet of hill climbing during my morning commute. Still trying to figure out how I'll eat and sleep though.

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
More bike lanes too.

Remove regular lanes of traffic to create them.

I think I might be able to get in somewhere around 1000 feet of hill climbing during my morning commute. Still trying to figure out how I'll eat and sleep though.
Absolutely. We need at least 8:1 bike lane to car lane ratio

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I wish someone could explain why we act as if temperature documentation from the past 100 years is basically representative of the past 12,000 years.
But our planet is way older than that, why just 12000? We were once a ball of bubbling magma... so if we are suddenly engulfed in lava you'll know it has nothing to do with Climate change... it's just the earth going in cycles.