deep water mining

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

the batteries for a single vehicle require 187 pounds of copper, 123 pounds of nickel, and 15 pounds each of manganese and cobalt. On a planet with 1 billion cars, the conversion to electric vehicles would require several times more metal than all existing land-based supplies

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
My favorite story about deep water mining is when the CIA setup a shell company and pretended they were deep water mining but really they found a sink Russian sub that was missing and tried to pull it up from the ocean floor

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Really interesting article.

doesn’t paint the most hopeful future for batteries and their impact.

I thought the quote about industry moving ahead of science was chilling.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Lets strip mine an entire ecosystem we know nothing about. There's no way that could backfire.

Reactions: Havoc

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
My favorite story about deep water mining is when the CIA setup a shell company and pretended they were deep water mining but really they found a sink Russian sub that was missing and tried to pull it up from the ocean floor
I *just* watched a little cartoon documentary on that yesterday as I was falling down the YouTube rabbit hole....Good stuff!

Reactions: bluemarlin04

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
One billion cars on the planet will require a bunch of energy to keep charged. If we could only harness all the energy being generated by global warming.

Reactions: Havoc and GDaddy

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the guy sounds like he's hoping to find a loch ness monster

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Batteries are the future.:ROFLMAO:

So many other technologies should be considered before we go balls out on battery storage.

Hydrogen fuel cells. Bio-fuels and yes, modernized nuclear.

But no, "electric" cars, trucks, trains, planes, all with battery power is the answer to saving the planet.:rolleyes:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The Glomar-Explorer (now called Glomar-Challenger) had been stored in the ghost fleet out near Suisun City in the SF Bay (well, since it was east the bridge, SF Delta is probably more accurate).

Then in the 1990 someone came up with money to make it ready for oil/gas/mineral searching on the bottom of the sea.....or, back to the same old tricks.

I watched it head out through the Golden Gate. Not as much fun as watching the QE II come in:

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
The Glomar-Explorer (now called Glomar-Challenger) had been stored in the ghost fleet out near Suisun City in the SF Bay (well, since it was east the bridge, SF Delta is probably more accurate).

Then in the 1990 someone came up with money to make it ready for oil/gas/mineral searching on the bottom of the sea.....or, back to the same old tricks.

I watched it head out through the Golden Gate. Not as much fun as watching the QE II come in:
wow, look at arch of bridge. amazing shot.