Am I an Arsehole for having a fire in the fireplace in 2020?

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Moved to Central OR and love a good wood burning stove and fire pits at the right time. We have a wood burning stove in house but will not be the guy who burns the neighborhood down with a fire pit. Certain neighborhoods allow burning but just on our small lot I've got lots o trees, roughly 80 Ponderosas and a bunch of other types. A fire came through here in the early 90's so no way on fire pit even during snow.
Bought two axes from a blacksmith guy who had a garage sale when he retired, and a maul for chopping, splitting, yardwork, etc.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Careful with that axe, Eugene.

There's a right way and a wrong way.
No shet! Been doing it a few years now. When first started, got advice/tips from neighbor who is retired forest service. Same with chainsaw. I keep both axes and chainsaw sharp. Chopping keeps you warm for sure.
Know people who bake bread on their wood stoves, heat driven fans that help circulate heat around. Make tea water on mine occasionally.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
We had one when I was a young lad.

If I remember they can be almost too effective in modern insulated homes.

I don't think it gets and stays cold enough in Southern CA to make it practical in a modern home.
I had one when I lived in Aptos and it was too warm even with that damp cold. I loved it though

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
We have a small gas fireplace and its just enough for us to never run the heat. 6 years now and we have only run the heat after returning the last 2 years after being gone 10 days over Christmas. 67 inside.

It's great to get it on in front of any fireplace. Let the chick warm up in front of it. Pussy gets toasty.
Lol don’t ever change

• Haha
Reactions: gbg and grapedrink

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I'll never forget the one and only time I used a wood burning stove myself. It was at a cabin in the mountains. I fed it way too much and ended up sleeping with most of the windows open all night.

They work

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’ve got a wood fire blazing right now in this drafty northeastern beach house and it’s glorious. I buy my firewood from a local business #buylocal #suburbansettler

Reactions: gbg

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the problem is that fire places create entrainment, drawing cold air
in to the room as the hot air flies up the flue

sealed units that draw air in from the outside and radiate heat internally
without affecting the air pressure in the space are a good middle ground

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
the problem is that fire places create entrainment, drawing cold air
in to the room as the hot air flies up the flue

sealed units that draw air in from the outside and radiate heat internally
without affecting the air pressure in the space are a good middle ground
That's old brick fireplaces.
Anything built in the last 40 years has a outside combustion air vent

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
My delicate Chimu however is terrrified of the popping and crackling of a nicely drawing blaze. He’s all “nope nope nope I’m good over here in the great room”
1579526373152.jpeg