10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
u can only deadlift safely.

get a rogue squat rack at very least. u can do squats and ohp properly and safely with it. the low bar squat is the best exercise in terms of working your entire body. dl is next. squat dl and press and sum chins is pretty much all u need. bench if u get a power rack so u can set safety pins. u might be able to do it with the squat rack too.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I didn't get coaching for deadlifts.

watched a million you-toob vids and started ultra-light and worked up.

Pavel Tsatsouline has things to say about strength training while doing your sport.

you heard of him VM?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I've heard of him but I haven't pain much attention to his stuff. He's the kettlebell guy right?

In my opinion Kettlebells are not a good option for strength training. I think some of the movements are good exercise, but I get plenty of that doing other things.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Yeah.
I like KB's for quick strength and conditioning training if time is an issue.

If I'm working a lot I can take a heavy KB and wherever I am do swings.

Anyway his thing for strength training while doing your sport is to lift heavy but not hard. Max 10 reps over 2-3sets. No soreness. Keeping reps in the bank.

He cites numerous examples of top level sports people.

I'd be interested in your take on it.

Obviously in the off season is when you go hard and try and bank bigger strength gains.

bit different to surfing.....no real off season. But when sh!t surf season is on here I try and up the volume/weight.

He also has things to say about the limits of adaptation from a genetic, neurological, hormonal and muscle recruitment basis and trying to lock in those gains steadily.

Thoughts?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Get a trap bar.
Trap bars are less good for development and less good for your lower back.

When you do a deadlift with a trap bar at the top it's hanging by your hands able to move and swing. A conventional bar is resting on your thighs, locking into place with your lats. Much better and safer for a person dealing with lower back pain. Plus trap bars cheat range of motion.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Yeah.
I like KB's for quick strength and conditioning training if time is an issue.

If I'm working a lot I can take a heavy KB and wherever I am do swings.

Anyway his thing for strength training while doing your sport is to lift heavy but not hard. Max 10 reps over 2-3sets. No soreness. Keeping reps in the bank.

He cites numerous examples of top level sports people.

I'd be interested in your take on it.

Obviously in the off season is when you go hard and try and bank bigger strength gains.

bit different to surfing.....no real off season. But when sh!t surf season is on here I try and up the volume/weight.

He also has things to say about the limits of adaptation from a genetic, neurological, hormonal and muscle recruitment basis and trying to lock in those gains steadily.

Thoughts?
We are all limited by genetics. You take what you can get in increments you can handle.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Trap bars are less good for development and less good for your lower back.

When you do a deadlift with a trap bar at the top it's hanging by your hands able to move and swing. A conventional bar is resting on your thighs, locking into place with your lats. Much better and safer for a person dealing with lower back pain. Plus trap bars cheat range of motion.
I can get away with it more than regular dead lifting.

Jefferson deadlift are easier on my spine too.

But I have pretty good spinal nerve damage and I have to go light light light.

I'm not against regular DLs by any stretch.

If you are not doing anything any kind of pull is going to have benefits.

A long time ago I was squatting with a two by four under my heels and someone said that was bad for your knees.

I never had knee problems but taking the lift away under my heels bothered my back.

You got to figure out what works for you,

Most people do nothing.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Heel position wouldn't have any bearing on knee health. The important thing is for your knees to be in position early and not slide forward when you are at the bottom. Knee slide can lead not only to knee pain, but hip and groin pain as well.

There's a reason lifters squat with 3/8 to 3/4 inch raised heel lifting shoes. When you heels are elevated it adds some slack in the hamstrings and makes it easier to reach full depth. Seems every gym has a 2x4 around the squat rack. I wouldn't recommend a 2x4 because under the heels because you need to be stable and solidly attached to the ground when you lift.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Twas a twist of irony last night when my back spazzed out while I literally rolled out my yoga mat for a yoga class.

I hurt my back in September. Ive been letting it heal up, hit it with anti-inflams to get the swelling down. I was able to start moving a bit freer. Body weight exercises, stretches to increase ROM after everything feeling locked up, yoga, some short 3 mile runs. I wanted to get in the gym with some weights, but lagged. I was about to surf for the first time since September and booiing. Felt my back flinch in a familiar way, stayed in the class, and I'm hobbling today.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
trap bar has been alot more forgiving on my back than regular deadlifts and I feel its easier to keep good form, plus more confident with heavier weight.. thats just me though - you guys clearly know alot more on the subject than I.

Alot of this stuff is simply what works best for the individual. what works for me, may not work for another.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Twas a twist of irony last night when my back spazzed out while I literally rolled out my yoga mat for a yoga class.

I hurt my back in September. Ive been letting it heal up, hit it with anti-inflams to get the swelling down. I was able to start moving a bit freer. Body weight exercises, stretches to increase ROM after everything feeling locked up, yoga, some short 3 mile runs. I wanted to get in the gym with some weights, but lagged. I was about to surf for the first time since September and booiing. Felt my back flinch in a familiar way, stayed in the class, and I'm hobbling today.
That sucks. Sorry about that. I'min your boat.

It's been three weeks since my back spasm and right now I'm about 75%. I can all the daily household things. I can do all the exercises prescribed, except the bird dog/superman which are still painful. Because of that I'm not ready to surf, not ready to start any weight training.

I'm missing the surf but want to make sure not to immediately re-injure myself.