Pyzalien vs Phantom?

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Another year, another nail in the coffin of my trusty and beloved Pyzalien. Surely it can't keep going, so some planning is in order. Do I get another one, or try the Phantom?

The Pyzalien (old, flat-deck model) has a massive range, feels lively, and doesn't feel strange coming down from the Ghost. The Phantom is derived from the Ghost, which would make it very familiar, but is that necessarily better? Would be great to hear from someone who's tried both - or even from Jon himself.

I'd be ordering something around 6'1 x 19 3/4 x 2 1/2 (give or take dep on model)

- Which board glides into waves easier? (Guessing Phantom with its Ghost rocker)
- Which has the bigger range? (Guessing Pyzalien)
- Which feels more lively and 'fun'?

Any info, wild guesses, or third hand knowledge greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Hi Maz— I think you pretty much nailed it. And I personally love the Pyzalien. We are about to release Pyzalien 2 which the biggest change is in the deck/rails which has more dome and more refined rail so you will find that the thickness you want is more in line with your normal boards, no need to guess as much on it. In other words the boards easier to order with out worry.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I've ridden both in Bali and Oregon. Phantom is a board that slots into your quiver somewhere, it's not going to work in crappy waves, but it's also got a lower ceiling than a hpsb. Pyzalien is like a 90% board, works in anything, and if you've got the arms and balls can handle the drop on something solid like Ulus.

All that being said, I like both boards. I think you should try something new and get a Phantom if you surf decent waves.
Good feedback and I would agree on your thoughts. Only thing I don’t like in the Phantom is the width in the nose can get in the way on late drops in steeper, hollower waves UNLESS you go shorter

Reactions: ZeeHawk and Aruka
Feb 10, 2020
Hey all, does the Pyzalien have the same kind of forward volume as the the Phantom? I have a Phantom and am considering a Pyzalien as a next board. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near a shop where I could look at the boards myself.

Reactions: ZeeHawk

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I popped onto Pyzel's website to have a look if it's visible from product images... @stubborn.dissent . So not answering your question at all, the phantom RT seems... errr, odd.

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 12.24.26.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-11 at 12.24.26.png

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
I just picked up a lightly used Pyzalien (original version). For those surfing a Pyzalien what fins do you like and is thruster or quad better? Thanks. Looking forward to trying it out.

Reactions: Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Hey Dan.

Mine's an FCS2 thruster only, and I have really liked Accelerator Mediums. Usually a fan of larger fins, but those are good.

Recently I moved the Accelerator fronts to my gun, so ran AM1 fronts with an Accelerator rear (I little bigger than the AM1 rear). Works great, too.

My experience with the Pyzalien is that you can pretty much throw any conditions, any size (within reason), any fins at it, and it just plain works.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
There is a used Pyzalien online. I think it's a custom. 6'0 x 20 x 2.44 33L

Seems about right for me at 6'3" 180ish but I wish it was a little longer. Tempted to try it cuz it's cheap but I need another board like I need a hole in my head.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

Seems about right for me at 6'3" 180ish but I wish it was a little longer. Tempted to try it cuz it's cheap but I need another board like I need a hole in my head.
At 6'3 too short, I'd say. You won't get the surprising top-end out of it.

You're very particular about your boards, so might as well order one the right size one day - should a tiny gap open up in your quiver :)

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
Thanks for posting this Maz! This is exactly the 2 boards I've been thinking about next. In looking at these 2 I was thinking a daily driver that's fun and loose with range to be able to handle less perfect conditions. I'm thinking that leans towards the P2 over the Shad. On the site it says "we recommend that you order it the same thickness, 1/4 to 1/2 inch wider and 2-3 inches shorter than your standard shortboard." My standard would be 6'4" x 20" so 6'2 x 20 1/4 sounds ok but I would like to keep it at 6'4" since our conditions are rarely smooth. Wonder if that makes sense. FCS2 Pyzel fin looks like it'd be a good match.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
At 6'3 too short, I'd say. You won't get the surprising top-end out of it.

You're very particular about your boards, so might as well order one the right size one day - should a tiny gap open up in your quiver :)
Cheers Mazzy, thanks for the reassurance.

Reactions: Maz

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Hey Dan.

Mine's an FCS2 thruster only, and I have really liked Accelerator Mediums. Usually a fan of larger fins, but those are good.

Recently I moved the Accelerator fronts to my gun, so ran AM1 fronts with an Accelerator rear (I little bigger than the AM1 rear). Works great, too.

My experience with the Pyzalien is that you can pretty much throw any conditions, any size (within reason), any fins at it, and it just plain works.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to trying this board out once we get some waves. Looks like it will be fun.

Feb 10, 2020
Would

What length would you order?