RIP otf???

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
RIP - unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet him in person only knew him via the erbb - which is to say i really didn't know him. The comments/stories posted here are a true testament of his character and who he really was and the impact he had on other's lives ... he will be missed.

Reactions: PPK96754 and mundus

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
This just fucking sucks. Had some epic days at the base with Kenny. And one day him and CASurfer came down to my hood and schooled me in my backyard. He gave me so much sh!t. He was laughing his ass off.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
About 15 years ago, I was in college, had some days off, and decided to chase a hurricane swell down to Newport. I posted on the forum and right away, Kenny says, "Come on down! Let's surf!" I met him at his place, briefly meet liplocked, and he suggests me snagging a hotel around the corner, and then we'll go surf.

We load up in my truck, and upon arrival at the hotel, he beelines straight to the desk and says to the receptionist, "This guy needs a room for a couple nights and here's my credit card." I'm like, "Woah, dude, not necessary, I got it." He looks and me and in a very insisting voice goes, "No man, I got you. We're surfers and we have to take care of each other." He wouldn't budge on it. Blown away.

We then drove down to 56th and he made sure I was getting waves amongst the afternoon crowd.

So rare these days to meet complete strangers that will take care of you in a heartbeat. Bummed to not be able to be able to see him again, but stoked on the lasting impression he made through his actions and the raising the triplets.

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Really bummed I never got to meet the man in person now that Im hearing all these stories. Always enjoyed his posts but not the same as being face to face. Also,I never realized how many erbb actually connect outside of this place! That's bitchen. My heart goes out to his family and to all of you who have lost a good friend.

Ping-Pong Bob

Miki Dora status
Jan 10, 2002
OC
This just sucks so bad. I’m still at a loss for words. If it wasn’t for KC, I would’ve only made a quick hit and run here. I love you Kenny and always will.
Just to ad one word to gbg’s post above, Kenny and me were driving down to one of the Fish Frys and Kenny just kept going on and on about that base session. The one word that I thought we were both going to pass out laughing was the “CONE”. I still laugh thinking about it.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
This just sucks so bad. I’m still at a loss for words. If it wasn’t for KC, I would’ve only made a quick hit and run here. I love you Kenny and always will.
Just to ad one word to gbg’s post above, Kenny and me were driving down to one of the Fish Frys and Kenny just kept going on and on about that base session. The one word that I thought we were both going to pass out laughing was the “CONE”. I still laugh thinking about it.
Did you see him right before he passed?

surf cat

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jan 14, 2002
I drove down to Southern California some time around spring of 2018 to check out a exhibition art of John Stevenson and Rick Griffin . I dropped in on Kenny and spent a couple of daze with him. It was mind boggling what he was going through with his health.... I can still remember his hot tub that had radical currents and heat. I blame it for what happened to my health.
Kenny was working as the trash man and got canned. the next day, I drove home and realized I had something called a 'stroke' not to be confused a 'stock' after being in the hospital for what seemed like half a year
Had Heart surgery. and Im on the road to recovery. I called OTW a couple of times to check in. he was in trouble after drinking.
on the way home I met up with Bonzer5ive for lunch. and we shared Kenny stories. I can't post pictures any more , Brandon can you post that one?
I'd like drive down for the paddle out. let me know what the plans are.
I miss you Kenny. all the Best in all ways!

Last edited:

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
Like everyone, so sad to see/hear this.

Years ago, when his kids were small, he posted about how much they loved the beach, ocean, surfing, etc..

I sent him a note, asking for his address and said I wanted to send the kids a box of schwag, from the brand I was working for at the time. He responded that it wasn't necessary, blah blah blah, and I said that I wanted to and to just give me the address, which he did. I sent a box of goodies for the kids, including a few autographed posters from a world champ.

I immediately received a message from him, simply asking 'What's YOUR address?'

I gave it to him and received an envelope with 4 different letters in it - one from him and 1 from each of the kids. I must of had something in my eye, as I read them (especially his), as they were all so thankful and grateful (and take it from someone that's given away a ton of schwag over the years - usually you get no thanks!).

It was very moving and from there we added each other to our family's Christmas Card lists, and joked about it, over there years.

Rest in Peace, OTF, and I hope you're getting waves, post-surf beers and laughs with Festus Porkmeyer!

Keep us posted on paddleout, please.