Ryan Burch Surfboards

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
used to see a few in the water in SD, the guys who rode them loved them.
+1

There was a guy at a well known La Jolla spot who surfed one often. Trippy looking board. One of the few quads I saw in that era, although quads were popular for a bit before then. Looked like it worked well.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
There's an older guy who still surfs one whenever there's decent waves around Sunset Cliffs, looks fast.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm thinking good wave board up to 2x overhead (my 5'6 Oyster Fork has me covered up to 1.5x overhead). This is the longest hpsb I've ordered in quite a while. My stubby board is 5'6, all arounder is 5'7, hpsb is 5'8 and then this one. I was anticipating moving to Santa Cruz when I ordered this, so I wanted a bit more board for larger waves, more moving water, a bit more bump, etc....

Reactions: Havoc and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Wow. DOH on a 5’9”. I’d be curious how it goes. You’re braver than me. Anything above 7-8’, I feel like I get tossed around going under waves and can struggle to get into waves early enough. I see the guy from Hydrodynamica, RK, out using a Burch asym as his stepup, but it’s like a 7’2”.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Well, I guess I should qualify my statement by saying not all DOH waves are equal (obviously). While I'm fairly confident this will handle DOH at some spots, other spots at DOH will definitely require more board. I have plans to order a 6'0, 6'3 and a 6'6 for some of the other waves around here at DOH.

I've also never been the "paddle my 9'0 gun out at Swamis guy." I've always been the "less foam is my friend" type of person for some reason. Maybe because I learned on 90's glass slipper type boards. So this board is a bit bigger than what I'm used to, but I think it's what I'm after.

Feb 22, 2019
SB
y’all are getting me so close to spending money I don’t have to order one... ride reports are great and it just goes to show it’s obviously not a gimmick

Reactions: jkb

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I'm thinking good wave board up to 2x overhead (my 5'6 Oyster Fork has me covered up to 1.5x overhead). This is the longest hpsb I've ordered in quite a while. My stubby board is 5'6, all arounder is 5'7, hpsb is 5'8 and then this one. I was anticipating moving to Santa Cruz when I ordered this, so I wanted a bit more board for larger waves, more moving water, a bit more bump, etc....
what brand of skinny jeans do u wear to compliment this beautiful work of art?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
This pivots tighter than a symetrical board going backside because of features like the round tail, increased tail rocker, cut-away fins, and the shorter, rounder rail line on the heel side. Transitions from rail to rail are easier without having to compensate (as much) for the different ways we distribute our weight due to the asymmetry of out bodies. Probably hard to imagine for some unless you've tried one.

Tail is probably closer to 15" wide, but don't have it with me at the moment to measure.