*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Round trip ticket SD to Salt Lake City is $117. Lodging is cheap as is food an car rental. A lift ticket @ Powder Mountain is $90. No brainer.

Want to go even cheaper with lodging and lift, go to Beaver Mountain near Logan. Empty on weekdays. $50 lift ticket.
We have a family house in Tahoe.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Round trip ticket SD to Salt Lake City is $117. Lodging is cheap as is food an car rental. A lift ticket @ Powder Mountain is $90. No brainer.

Want to go even cheaper with lodging and lift, go to Beaver Mountain near Logan. Empty on weekdays. $50 lift ticket.

Stick to what you know.

Utah is great and easily accessibly for sure. But for a beginner snowboarder/skier it isn't worth getting on a plane. Day trips are better for that kinda thing. Snow Valley is fine for a beginner who will likely be thrashed after a day of falling on their ass and won't want to go back the following day. I'm too lazy to dig up the thread where you were crying about how painful snowboarding is.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
^^^^Good Shot^^^^^ Doesn't really look like the runs on Thunder Mtn. you can see on the lower right there, so must be the Chair 4 area?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Tahoe the week before Christmas was really good. We had the entire spectrum of weather from mostly cloudy, to really windy, to snowing and windy, to completely calm and snowing, to completely sunny. We varied our approach to the mountains each day and were really happy with the 3-day trip as a whole.

Surf was up, and a couple locals were claiming they had never seen waves like this on Lake Tahoe. This was the north tip of the Lake in Kings Beach and a strong south wind had been going through the night. We awoke to the sounds of waves crashing since our room was a half block from the shore and we could see the surf from our window.

It got sloppier as the morning went on and the weather turned cloudy as the snow moved in. It was blowing snow completely horizontal at this point.

Went and had brunch, and then hung out in the room with the fire going most of the day before finally heading up to Alpine for the last couple hours of the day. The wind had mellowed and the snow was starting to fill in. Wife demonstrates off-piste.

The snow continued on and off all night...

We awoke to a glassed off lake and 3"-4" coating the beach...

Last edited:
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Took an hour to get to Squaw the next day since there was absolutely no wind and it was still snow showering, so everyone wanted a piece of it. I had some goggle fogging issues, and visibility was not too good, but I'll take that over wind any day.

KT22...

Top of Headwall with the top of the Sierra / Squaw beyond...

At the end of the day, it was already a very Merry Christmas. :cool:

Had to tell the family we'd be late getting back down the hill the next day when we knew it was going to be bluebird and wanted some packed pow groomers. Alpine Meadows didn't disappoint...

2020 now dropping...

Last edited:

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
I hit Baldy yesterday, Saturday, and it was basically the same as last weekend. The groomers on Thunder were in great shape, there were some good, and some bad, spots off the groomed. Once again, Gold Ridge was the best place I found. I skied from 930 to 100 and then cut out. I got plenty of laps, but at the time I left the runs down to the lot had not softened up, so I downloaded.

I will say again that the coverage is excellent up there, for it being Baldy of course. I'm really glad I bought a pass last spring. The crowds have been minimal the last couple of weekends.

I'm hitting Mammoth for 4 days the coming weekend. It will be a zoo, but I'm pretty good at avoiding crowds. Since the Ikon came about the weekends on either side of MLK have actually been just as bad, lots of people with base passes are blacked out on MLK weekend so they come up the weekend before and the weekend after.

Here is the forecast for next weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: $kully

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

Could be an economical alternative to Mammoth. And if you score Utah freshies, Mammoth powder days will never quite be the same.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Always wanted to ride Baldy haven’t taken the chance yet.

We went to Big Bear New Year’s Day for a few days. Took the family out for the first time this season at Bear Mtn. Son snowboarded for his first time and daughter stayed with skiing. While the Wife and I boarded too. It was insanely expensive for tix but the snow was fun w decent coverage. Good first trip and the kids were ready for another go!

Looking at Tahoe possibly presidents weekend!w’sup!(I know pretty much worst time of year to go
there super crowded, following the kids school schedule sucks)

I will say Bear was pretty crowded, my son and I just walked up the beginner run a few times because it was twice as fast as taking the chair.

12A3FBA1-55D4-408B-90F3-42C7FC0B01E5.jpeg

Reactions: Kento

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
2’ at baldy. Opens tomorrow, might try to hit it. Anyone here interested in meeting out there?
I’ll meet you at Mt. High, Big Bear or Summit. Badly only had one good snowboard run on the right. The left side never has snow.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully and Kento

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
I'm glad you don't know sh*t.

Mtn High is perfect for you.
I’ve been going to chittay baldy for years. MT high is sh!t too too many beginners in my way but it’s close to my home.

The best powder is Colorado and Utah by far. No Sierra cement for me.