Hurley axes surf team (Beachgrit.com)

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
My brother is in charge of all production for Deluxe, a skate distributor with a collection of core skate brands (Real, Antihero, Spitfire, Krooked, a couple more). He can't even convince the owners to sell online because they are so invested in keeping local core shops alive.

You don't have to sell out and be a dick.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I have to say I do like the wetsuits I got from them as well as the trunks. Lately it's all about the Fanning Mirage though. Really good at walking upcurrent/upwind and not bench grinding your fruit basket/loins vs older trunks.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Just what did Hurley make that was essential to all of us anyway? Sorry for the people who lost work or support but that is the way of the corpo world. There are small rad companies making wetsuits and clothing nowadays. Much rather throw my cash their way
I wear a uniform to work, so that cuts out a huge part of my wardrobe right there. Otherwise, I wear Levi's, Pendleton, blank T shirts ordered online. Surf lifestyle clothes are expensive and portraying an image means nothing to me. Shoot, I've been known to surf in running shorts in the summer when it's warm enough to trunk it. I can see supporting a surfer owned brand, but does that even exist anymore?

Reactions: wills120 and Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I wear a uniform to work, so that cuts out a huge part of my wardrobe right there. Otherwise, I wear Levi's, Pendleton, blank T shirts ordered online. Surf lifestyle clothes are expensive and portraying an image means nothing to me. Shoot, I've been known to surf in running shorts in the summer when it's warm enough to trunk it. I can see supporting a surfer owned brand, but does that even exist anymore?
It probably exists more now than it ever did. Fakebook, GoPro, anything Lewis Hamilton touches...

Fk Jay Z probably had Roca Wear acquire Ecko and Fubu, the Russian Mafia controlling partners making knockoff Adidas with special slav-squat stitching have probably had a surf school in Bali since 2015...

• Haha
Reactions: wills120 and Havoc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I like Next Level blank tees for $3 each from local shirt wholesaler or $3-5 on Google Shopping (fuck amazon).

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
t-shirts probably deserve their own thread....i'm particular about t-shirt fit and feel and what makes a good t-shirt. could and do change t-shirts several times per day, coz there's nothing like the feel of a fresh one.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
t-shirts probably deserve their own thread....i'm particular about t-shirt fit and feel and what makes a good t-shirt. could and do change t-shirts several times per day, coz there's nothing like the feel of a fresh one.
I love my collection of surf contest t-shirts. Will take photos of it one of these days.

Reactions: jkb

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
My brother is in charge of all production for Deluxe, a skate distributor with a collection of core skate brands (Real, Antihero, Spitfire, Krooked, a couple more). He can't even convince the owners to sell online because they are so invested in keeping local core shops alive.

You don't have to sell out and be a dick.
skateboarding merch and surf is a whole different beast. Kids actually buy skate stuff - especially shoes made for skateboarding which is why Nike has never dumped the Nike SB program. its profitable as fook.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
These surf brands make odd fitting shirts.

Large is so tight in my chest and shoulders and XL hangs down like a dress. I take every shirt to a tailor and he takes 3-4 inches off the bottom.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I take every shirt to a tailor and he takes 3-4 inches off the bottom.
How much does that usually cost?

Other than a t-shirt I have trouble finding pretty much any shirt that fits me.

They are either too tight in the shoulders or too long.

Or cut for husky Walmart types.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
How much does that usually cost?

Other than a t-shirt I have trouble finding pretty much any shirt that fits me.

They are either too tight in the shoulders or too long.

Or cut for husky Walmart types.
$15. Could probably get a better deal but this is close to work and he's good.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
These surf brands make odd fitting shirts.

Large is so tight in my chest and shoulders and XL hangs down like a dress. I take every shirt to a tailor and he takes 3-4 inches off the bottom.
only thing is they dont make the shirts

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
I had the same problem until I tried Next Level shirts.
Yes to Next Level brand.
Discovered them when my work uniform T shirts started being printed on them. I liked them so much, I got a bunch of blanks in different colors.

Reactions: jkb and racer1

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018