how to keep swim fins from cracking?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
have a nice pair of swim fins for body surfing....they don't get much use, but they are nice to have on hand. just noticed they are starting to deteriorate - crack and dry - and since i'd rather not throw another $50-$75 after a new pair, was wondering if there is anyway to preserve rubber fins on the shelf? Google was not helpful....seems to me there might be something i could coat them in (like vaseline?), to keep the rubber fresh?

thanks!

for your troubles....

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Rinse them off after use. Keep them in a dark, temperature-controlled environment. Salt, sun, heat, and cold all give fins cancer.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Rinse them off after use. Keep them in a dark, temperature-controlled environment. Salt, sun, heat, and cold all give fins cancer.
that's probably good advice too late for this pair...they've spent 4-5 years in the garage, summer and winter, in all temps thereof. i'll treat the next pair better - thanks!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
These will last forever....

Full disclosure: company owner and fin inventor is a friend of mine.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
I have a pair of Vipers that are 4-5 years old. Rinse them after every use and keep them in the garage. Still like brand new.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
I Keep rubber bands, disposable gloves, etc. in the refrigerator. My GF isn't too stoked though no longer complains, but swim fins might be over the top. (rubber bands last 5X as long.)

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Buy better fins.
Store in cool spot and keep out of sun.
Wash with fresh water after use.

Also, get these for heel strap. They also make more comfy for feet.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
These will last forever....

Full disclosure: company owner and fin inventor is a friend of mine.
$250? that's pretty steep - worth it?

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
$2~fittie-nine + .95 centz?

Yikes!
i had to open your link,
make sure that these swim finz were not Made in China.
Like Trump's MAGA hatz were, before he got publicly clowned...

Nope,
"Each fin is individually hand crafted in the USA and manufactured from exclusive versions of polyurethane"...

Esh,
those be some expensive finz, Made in America!
That said, as he is your bro, i hope that you be gettin' a discount Duffy...
Happy New Year, boyz.
MAGA!
:drowning:

Last edited:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I have a pair of Vipers that are 4-5 years old. Rinse them after every use and keep them in the garage. Still like brand new.
I have 12 year old Vipers that have not one crack in them. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water after every use and keep them out of direct sunlight unless you are using them... i.e... dont let them sit on the towel / sand while you're hanging out and get killed by the UV.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I had Churchills for about 10 years before one of the straps broke. I used these for both bodysurfing and in pools. I figure 10 years is a good run

Now I have some Da Fins that I've had for about a year, they're great. But at $75, even just one year is worth it. That's not much money

Reactions: jamesgang