The rewards of producing surfboards in Thailand

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Also, there is a book called “Where ideas come from” by Steven Johnson that discusses the brilliant break through ideas over the past few decades (Computers, Television, Internet, YouTube, Google, Apple, Tesla, etc.) and the book basically says that “ALL” ideas are built off of someone else’s ideas and (most likely) nobody has had any truly “original” idea in a very very very long time. So, I completely and 100% agree that surfboard design (and brilliant ideas) are all derivative or influenced, from someone else’s work in one way or another… but creating something new based on someone else work… and then straight-up replicating someones work is totally different!

Reactions: Mr J

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Listen… I saw the board and immediately thought it looked “similar” to Dan’s El Tomo design. Then I saw the wing off the front fin (like the El Tomo), then I saw it was a quad only (like the El Tomo)…. Thennnn I saw that in the video they didn’t even know how to describe the tail? (They listed the description of the board as “5’4 x 20.25 x 2.31 - ??? TAIL”). Thennnnn I saw it was called “Hydra” and was like, WTF they totally just replicated Tomo’s board design for 2020! Dan’s El Tomo board will literally be released in a few months and it looks like Lost will probably release the Hydra soon as well.

Not only that… Ian Crane describes the bottom of the board as having some sort of Greenough inspired hull design, and most people know that Greenough was very close to Dan and his family. I just thought it was blatant and so obvious it needed to be pointed out. I had no idea people would presume I am discrediting Matt’s entire lineage of surfboard making and hard work (which I’m not). All I’m saying is based on the interactions I’ve had with him in person, his interview on the boardroom show, the articles, stories, etc… I don’t care for the guy! And on top of that I feel like he replicated Dan’s El Tomo design. It is what it is… Actually, I think it’s a huge compliment to Dan and his vision to have his designs being replicated. But don’t try and tell me that Matt didn’t copy the El Tomo design because its obvious he did.

And BTW… Its only a matter of time until Matt/Lost starts making a torpedo nose. Just wait and see…

You've made some pretty outrageous allegations in this thread.

I'm ready to hear more...

BTW, how do you feel about Tomo ripping off the "Hydronaut" from Xanadu's "Hydra"?

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
You've made some pretty outrageous allegations in this thread.

I'm ready to hear more...

BTW, how do you feel about Tomo ripping off the "Hydronaut" from Xanadu's "Hydra"?
how about you ask Matt/Lost about ripping off the name Hydra from Xanadu’s Hydra?

How do you feel about Matt/Lost about ripping off the name Hydra from Xanadu’s Hydra?

Last edited:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I get it deforester, but aint that big of deal. With lost's counter culture history, i can imagine matt penning that name with a little giggle. Just like he did to album and other asym makers with his jab in the "maysm" decription. Yea I can see some similar design elements (especially the diamond swallow tail) but its not like he made a carbon (hehe) copy). If no one shared design elements we would all be riding hollow wooden boards!!!
The lost weekend warrior is kinda like a el tomo. which is kinda like a christianson mescaline which is kinda like the Roberts diamond tail fish
Hell after Torrn Martyn's latest video part, every damn shaper on my instagram has a long channel bottom round tail twin. Noticed that last night and laughed.
Matt aint a bad dude. Just a rad dood with soem tude as havoc might say.
Everyone relax and grab your boar its tiem to churf

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
how about you ask Matt/Lost about ripping off the name Hydra from Xanadu’s Hydra?

How do you feel about Matt/Lost about ripping off the name Hydra from Xanadu’s Hydra?

Hold on now.

You're answering a question with a question.

The order goes 1)Xanadu's Hydra > 2)Tomo's Hydronout > 3) Matt's Hydra.

You said Matt's Hydra was a rip off name of Tomo's Hydronaut.

But Tomo's Hydronaut followed Xanadu's Hydra.

So,

I'm asking about how you feel about Tomo ripping off Xanadu's Hydra.

Since it's glaringly obvious he ripped the name off.

So how do you feel about it?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Are they getting royalties for these samples haha!
gotta clear the samples with the record company

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Lost's Hydra is a direct "ripp off" (as you call it) of Xandu's Hydra. No discrepancy there, right?
Tomo named his board the "Hydronaut". Totally different than Xanadu's Hydra.... But what I said was, that Matt penning the name "Hydra" on a board that looks identical to Dan's soon-to-be-released El Tomo was a play on words for the Hydronaut and Hydroshort that Dan released. I never said Matt "ripped off" any name from Tomo.