What’s the going rate for Mexican Blankets?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
These things go between $100 - $300 online

View attachment 83507
There used to be this little hole in the wall bar in Carmel. Su Vecino. It was off the beaten path down in this alleyway. It was a hang out back in the 60's and 70's. My mom and dad used to go there with their friends for drinks and hang out with Clint and Doug McClure. Clint gave the owner his Serape from the Spaghetti Westerns and the owner had it hanging in there on the wall. The place opened in the 50's. They called it a restaurant but it didn't have any tables, just a narrow hallway with the bar. There was some kind of rudimentary kitchen in the back. This place used to be the hangout.

Can't remember the owners name from back then. He was a mexican guy, everybody knew him. Will ask my 91 y/o dad tomorrow. Alzheimers/dimentia but this is a name he will remember.

It's some kind of retarded yuppie agave/mescal bar these days with the same name.

Last edited:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A side question for those in Monterey Bay area....

On Hwy 1, south of Aptos, north of Monterey, on the west side of Hwy 1, there is a large "Mexican store"...a store filled with all things one typically would find at tourist stores in TJ.

Where exactly is it? Or does it exist any longer? Is it really on Hwy 1 or am I remembering it wrong?

Have some friends from the Midwest coming to town and they want to hit the aquarium in Monterey and I know they would dig an El Barto statue or something else....am thinking they could find such a white elephant there.

I want say it is just past 152 in Watsonville, but alas, just can't recal, and these are not the people who can just be told "Drive down 1 past Aptos, it will be on the right, you can't miss it."

Much thanks for possible help. Will take humorous remark if direct answer is unavailable.
Down in Moss Landing??? "Little Baja"?? It's gone now. They had all of the pottery, fountains, Mexican stonework, weaving. Was on HWY 1 just north of the power plant.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Some strange family history from down there. My dad's side of the family grew up in Monterey, then Pacific Grove and ended up in Carmel. Their roots go back a long, long time.

My grandfathers sister married a guy back in the 20's named Hatton. The Hattons had a dairy located in what is now the mouth of Carmel Valley. Essentially they owned the whole mouth of Carmel Valley. The original Hatton home and property still exists today. Some kind of state, protected landmark.

Back then there was a huge, nationwide flu epidemic. People were dying like flies. Senior Hatton died, his wife, my grandfathers sister died. But they had a kid.

Phillip. "Flip".

He inherited all of the property. My dad's cousin. An early version of Kieth Ritchards. He sold the property. Worth more money than god back then. Had a bunch of Duesenbergs to drive around in. Very reclusive.

Got married, moved way up into the back of Carmel Valley and bought a piece of property. He loved cars. Had a garage up next to Rosies Cracker Barrel bar. Early porches and Mercedes.

Growing up as a kid he was my uncle. Every family has its Black Sheep. I think I get my blackness from uncle Flip. Larger than life.

He was a really good friend of Clint in his later years. He was an avid gun collector and had a shooting range behind his Carmel Valley home. Clint gave him the revolver from "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". Would go up there, hang out with him and shoot.

Why am I telling you this?

Something that needs to be told.

The true, real California is eroding daily in front of our eyes. Everybody these days is a Kook...

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The true, real California is eroding daily in front of our eyes. Everybody these days is a Kook...

So the true, real California is rich guys that inherited their land because they were squeezed out of the right pair of legs, then lived off of the sale of that land as it gained value so they could buy toys?

Theres' plenty of those left in California. Fret not.

• Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Chango the ceramic monkey can be found at the ceramic shop across from Los Gaviotas for $10. They had a pile of them along with any other ceramic items you so desire.
Cheers, Belch

Reactions: SFKneelo

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
406A3BC6-2C38-4B5E-A70C-EC9C77F50062.jpeg

Mexican blanket with roll of four Mexican mattresses.

My wife went to Oaxaca last year and brought back some decent bedspreads and stuff, the blanket cost around 30 bucks. Pretty comfortable, especially compared to the burro hair $10 in TJ models.

The mattresses are made in Petetlan, Gro. Very few country folks grow up without having slept on a pétate.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf