The Official “Dear retodd” Thread

Oct 9, 2019
Is there any surfboard characteristics that would indicate a surfboard would go better with a smaller center fin? I have a Proctor G4+ and I tried some of the SUPERbrand fins and didn’t care for that setup. Also tried the new Jordys and it felt better because they are somewhat bigger but still super loose. I have surfed the old FCS Arcs and really like those in other surfboards that I have. I actually liked the DHDs and F8s in the Proctor better. It seems to favor all the same size fins. Is it the design of the board or how I surf it?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Is there any surfboard characteristics that would indicate a surfboard would go better with a smaller center fin? I have a Proctor G4+ and I tried some of the SUPERbrand fins and didn’t care for that setup. Also tried the new Jordys and it felt better because they are somewhat bigger but still super loose. I have surfed the old FCS Arcs and really like those in other surfboards that I have. I actually liked the DHDs and F8s in the Proctor better. It seems to favor all the same size fins. Is it the design of the board or how I surf it?
Lower tail rocker boards and higher volume boards with lighter riders tend to favor smaller back fin setups . Or personal taste

Deeper concave . Higher tail rocker . Less flicky style . This makes 3 equal size fin is best

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Na man . U know what you like and no need to change out fins on boards

Plus u have 3 different trailer fins to mix and match
Maybe Obslop will tell us about his Stamps fish. Beautiful surfboard. The kind of board that you pick up off the ground one handed and you know it’s gonna work. You can feel it.

AG told me in the strictest confidence that the plan shape makes the board, the fin setup is incedental.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
AG told me in the strictest confidence that the plan shape makes the board, the fin setup is incedental.

OH MY
Are you saying that the fin setup is the most important part of surfboard design? sh!t plan shape with hand foiled fins is the ticket? Don’t be bashful. Provide an explanation. What is the most important element of surfboard design?

Oct 9, 2019
Lower tail rocker boards and higher volume boards with lighter riders tend to favor smaller back fin setups . Or personal taste

Deeper concave . Higher tail rocker . Less flicky style . This makes 3 equal size fin is best
Thank you. This has been my experience too. I am not a great surfer and looking to see if others had a similar experience.

Last edited: