Has anyone here ever lived in a home worth $1,000,000 or more?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I strongly disagree and surprised anyone would think this.

Yes its expensive, and that's a huge downside no doubt. Among others.

But to say the only reason to live there is for surf? Give me a break. I've never had so much opportunity for so many different activities at my fingertips. If you only see the opportunity to surf there you're being lazy, which I am sure you are not.

Maybe the third time will be the charm to finish the hike to the top of Baldy.

(Sorry that was a very low blow)

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Last appraisal we had (about 5 years ago) put our home at $1.3m.

It has certainly ticked up since then.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

But to say the only reason to live there is for surf? Give me a break. I've never had so much opportunity for so many different activities at my fingertips. If you only see the opportunity to surf there you're being lazy, which I am sure you are not.
There are plenty of areas in the American West that have similar if not better access to the same activities available in CA.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
There are plenty of areas in the American West that have similar if not better access to the same activities available in CA.
Where other than CA is there better opportunity? The PNW? Being a surfer those areas with that opportunity drop considerably. CA offers the best of all those activities in one package. In that sense surfing is ALMOST a ball and chain. If I didn't surf I'd be living in Idaho, in a second.

But I was split boarding every weekend and day off when I lived out there and then the next day I would be getting good waves. That was a regular routine in the winter. You simply can't do that in many places.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
my parents house they bought in coronado when my dad was stationed at north island there during the vietnam war is probably worth 4 million dollars or more now, my dad got sued for some dumb biz dealings his navy buddy got him involved with and had to sell in the 80s,, some arizona dr. owns it and visits on occasion, i'm considering squatting in the back garage once i figure out their vacation schedule.

Currently the dump I bought 19 years ago is supposedly worth 1 million dollars, lol who can buy these places? when i bought in the last gang claimed area of leucadia my friends thought i was nuts, but i wanted a small house and big yard and it has worked out. I used to post some of my house projects on here when we first bought my house, it was nasty when we bought it, leaky roof, moldy carpet, former renter was dealing drugs in the back and renting cots to migrant workers in the front, so we had a lot of late night visits the first year or two, our boxer pit pound dog Kirra and her dobie mix partner taylor were great deterrents and word got out quickly after one late night dog chasing tweaker incidient.

my wife and I lived in one bedroom for 2 months with a bar fridge and microwave and toaster oven and we demoed the whole house and repainted and re-floored everything, then my sister in law moved in and her boyfriend and I redid the roof under the supervision of my roofer friend, new sky lights in every room etc. built a music studio in the garage, patched and repainted the entire exterior,. I never did it to make money i just wanted a place near the ocean and near my work to raise my kids.
I like to get in the ocean on the regular and this is a great place for that, work is 2 songs away on the car stereo and can see the pacific from my job. If you don't need the ocean and don't mind shitty weather then CA is not worth it these days, but I dig it and already put the house in a trust for my kids. California uber alles

Reactions: cnelson

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Where other than CA is there better opportunity? The PNW? Being a surfer those areas with that opportunity drop considerably. CA offers the best of all those activities in one package. In that sense surfing is ALMOST a ball and chain. If I didn't surf I'd be living in Idaho, in a second.

But I was split boarding every weekend and day off when I lived out there and then the next day I would be getting good waves. That was a regular routine in the winter. You simply can't do that in many places.
Tge next day? The number of days I have where I surfed and snowboarded the same day are in the high dozens. Very few places in the world you can do that. Even banged a 6 or 7, occasionally a 3, some of those same days too. CA scale. Not full BB cred as they were not 10s but alas. Those were good days.

Good luck doing that in Montana. Or West Virginia. Or Mississippi.

If you're living in CA and living here well and still find it a dumpster fire, I'll let you in on a hint. It's not the location that's the dumpster fire.

Reactions: lagunaboy

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Tge next day? The number of days I have where I surfed and snowboarded the same day are in the high dozens. Very few places in the world you can do that. Even banged a 6 or 7, occasionally a 3, some of those same days too. CA scale. Not full BB cred as they were not 10s but alas. Those were good days.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
If things continue they they are homes will be going for $1M soon. 1100 square feet.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
surfing ogro's has ruined california surfing for me

rat race of retardation

I'd rather live eastern slope and part time it in a spanish
speaking stretch of coast.

fkk....a lake with a ski boat....a big barn for a proper
woodshop....that would tickle the spot enough to go
without walkable ocean access

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
I lived in my ex-girlfriend’s grandmother’s house on the Riviera above Franceschi Park in SB when I was in grad school. They bought the land and built the house for less than $10K in the 1950s. After grandma passed away, the family sold the house for $3 million.

Million dollar houses are everywhere in Honolulu. Most of them are poorly-designed, poorly-built architectural abominations. At least in California you get a nice house fora million bucks.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Those activities are nearly everywhere

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
In most areas but a rare few in So Cal, and you're house is at least a few blocks to maybe 1/4 mile or so from the beach, your house (not condo or packed in townhome) is worth about $1 mil or more now (some might be slightly under, but not by much). It'd have to be a very tiny, old beat-up tear down on a shoebox lot to be valued less. In some ghetto coastal areas you might find some, but they're getting harder and harder to find. I'm looking at other coastal areas where I can get an oceanview across the coast hwy for $500k now. Not even gonna say where, so don't try.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

If you're living in CA and living here well and still find it a dumpster fire, I'll let you in on a hint. It's not the location that's the dumpster fire.
Categorically disagree. It is very easy to take off the rose colored glasses and see what a dumpster fire CA is even when you're living well yourself.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Those activities are nearly everywhere
Sort of; but the whole package of CA combined with the quality of the surf/mountains/hiking is extremely hard to beat.

the snowboarding isn’t even comparable in the NE USA. Splitboarding? For the most part you can fuggetaboutit. Move to the rockys and you’re good to go with most stuff but the best surf you’ll find is a 2’ river rapid.

plenty of places that beat out CA as far as individual activities go. But you almost always have to sacrifice surfing, at least in a convenient manner.

Reactions: Kento and Ifallalot

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Yes. Current house is way over. After I build them , if I live in it for 2 years before I sell, yuuuuuge tax savings.

Property taxes suck, but the tax savings more than pay for it