Costa Rica living

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
Alright BBers's, I need some advice. The warden has decided that she wants to retire to Costa Rica, a place we have NEVER been! She has been reading up on it and, apparently, the health care system is very good, property is reasonable, and we'll be at the beach! With that said, where is it "safe", fun, and whatever I don't know to ask?!

The first trip is going to take place around april to do some looking around, finding a realtor, amenities, etc. I have no fvcking idea where this came from, but will admit, rather stoked! Health care is a biggie, as I'm beat up from the feet up! I'll be going out on a disability, so those funds are solid, as well as my union pension. My income will be about $5500.00 a month, after the deduction for health care. Is that doable? I know a LOT of you people travel south and could really use some input!

BTW, a number of years ago, I asked about the big island. I had found a "smoking" deal on a waterfront property. Thanks the the erBB, we passed on it. And now, after all of the eruptions, it no longer exists!

That being said, aside from snide remarks, I appreciate your input in advance!

ThaDood

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2003
Playa Zen
Yes, it's doable.
Yes, it's safe. petty theft is the main crime.
Questions:
Where are you researching?
can you or do you surf?
do you want on the coast, near the coast, in the mountains?
do you want to build a home or rent?
do you need to be close to health care facilities?

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
Dood, I’ve hung up the wetties for good. I body board or SUP on occasion. Multiple surgeries on my knees and neck ended surfing. I still love being near the ocean, so if I can find an area that has decent surf (more to watch) and good health care, that would make me happy.

Pancakes15

OTF status
Mar 17, 2015
Depends what you want around you, do you want a bigger town close by with groceries / restaurants / etc. or would you rather be isolated and travel once a week for these items?

Mal Pais / Santa Theresa is a fun spot, thriving town, lots of Euros / Israels, lots of surf breaks around. Breaks all year, catches North and South swell. Closer to North spots, like Negra, Witches, Ollies. Further North Playa Tamarindo is more a touristy vibe, there and Jaco are your 2 biggest coastal towns on the Pacific. Do not recommend anywhere near Jaco. Jaco can be super sketchy, big sex trafficking town.

South Pacific side you're more isolated but lots of areas with few crowds (outside Pavones), think you're more limited to South swells, so winters could be long.

My vote would be Santa Theresa or close by. Check out Santa Theresa coastline all the way to Nosara and see what you come up with.

Reactions: xxx

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'd lobby for consideration of Ecuador as well. I think it hits the baselines of what you are considering Costa Rica for, although I've never been there.

If surfing isn't a priority I'd consider not being at the beach. It's hot as f--k on the coast in Costa Rica, but places at a higher elevation, it's far more pleasant, and some places with decent elevation you can probably get by with no A/C. All heat and humidity and no A/C at the coast would make Sharkbiscuit a dull boy. I don't know what electricity rates are in these places now or what they'll be in 10 years.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
too hot 4 me
they say its hard to get govt permission to live there