Best Fullsuit?

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I have 2 Mutants. A 4/3 and the updated Legend version that's 4.5/3.5. The legend version isn't as warm as the 4/3. Can feel the cold a bit in the arms. Great suits though. I will most likely order the original version again instead of the Legend when i need a new 4/3.

Reactions: jkb

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Meh- It’d be nice if stab wrote their individual reviews rather than forced us to watch a video.

where’s the equivalent of TL;DW (too long, didn’t watch)
I wasted 10 minutes so you don't have to.

TL;DW: For warmth wear a suit that A) fits well, B) has some sort of liner, C) smoothskin. For flex, zipperless, unlined suits are great, but not as warm as others.

Go figure.

My added editorial: Just wear whatever fits best. It will be warmer and last longer.

• Haha
Reactions: sd_101

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
How old is the suit?
What is the water temperature wear you live?
4 years, but I don't use it too often. I don't know your freedom units, but it's rarely below 20°C in Winter - so I tend to find it too hot, as I grew up surfing frigid Jbay throughout gromhood with only crappy 90's 3/2mm suits.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Heres a little review of a Billabong Furnace Carbon X 5/4. Its last years model. Retailed for $420 but I paid half that.
I surf in NY and I don't think this one will be warm enough to get me through the winter.
The medium fits me really well and Im 5'11" 168 pounds.

The good,
the fit
it dries fast
very light weight
and feels like im paddling in a 3/2 .

The bad,
the seem in the hood by my chin is in a horrible and irritating spot.
Hood is on the smaller side (or my head is big) my head is actually average size
water leaks in everywhere as soon as you get in. Starts flowing in around the calves.
leaks in around the chest area also
as for warmth its like a good 4/3 which I know when it gets down to upper 30's water temps just won't cut it.

For this one Im glad I kept my Xcel 5/4 as I might try to unload this one once it gets too cold. or just keep for 4/3 type temperatures.

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
Isurus is great. Very flexible. And as cold as I am when I first get in the water is as cold as I'll be my whole session. The chill doesn't creep in slowly like with most suits. I assume that's an attribute with all Yamamoto suits?

They're not perfect though. Mine is a little heavy for a 3/2 IMO. And water gets in through the seams on both my knee pads. Been like that since day 1. Never really bothered me much though.

Reactions: oeste858
Jul 20, 2008
Ordered the new O'Neill Heat. This one interest me the most because it's basically a Hyperfreak with large smoothie panels. Only comes in back zip too, which I prefer. I'll report back after I get it wet!

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
+1 on Isurus -- best suits. Live in SF and was a long time O'Neill wearer growing up in this area. New technobutter is definitely good, but not the same thing as the Isurus suits.

Super quick drying, very light and flexible, and lasts a long time. I got ~3 full seasons out of a 4/3 that is still working enough to wear on warmer days and I surf a fair amount. Always washed, hung in the shade, etc. I rotate between a 4/3 no hood and a 3mm hood that's warm enough except on the absolute coldest days here.

Tried a Vissla this past season (tough to pass up at $200) and it was very warm, but deteriorated super quickly. Not going to get more than one season out of it. Also that inner grey liner gets SUPER waterlogged when you rinse it and was prone to pilling, etc. Not a bad suit, but I'd rather spend 2x the money and have something nicer that will last than get a new suit every season.

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

dcurbelo

OTF status
Jan 27, 2011
Atlantic Ocean
Had the latest 3/2 Feral full suit shipped to the Canaries. It's probably gonna be too much rubber for here but dawn sessions have been getting deadly cold lately. Let's see if their hype is true...

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Just came from the local surf shop. Mind you, the shop owner isn't the type to carry the latest and the greatest. There was no yamamoto rubber in the shop. He did have a couple Pattagucci stocked, but they didn't appeal to me. Long story short, I was feeling up some mid-range quik, vissla and o'neill suits - they all felt heavy and would probably soak up a lot of water.

Wasn't there a story about 90% (or something like that) of all wetsuits came out of the same factory.. they just slapped different logos on them? Makes sense that they all feel the same, with different tailored cuts. Fuggit, I'm this close to getting a custom yamamoto suit. One of the last Del Mar events had a Japanese company there that was doing custom orders. Anyone remember the name?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Picked up.a 4/3 Needessentials yesterday. Got the premium fast drying thermal. Seems like a Matuse but warmer. I am between XXL and XLT. Went XLT. Fits like a glove. No water intrusion. Has quite a high neck.sal that will take some getting used to but works well. No flushing. Light and flexible. No complaints. Not bad for $200.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Just came from the local surf shop. Mind you, the shop owner isn't the type to carry the latest and the greatest. There was no yamamoto rubber in the shop. He did have a couple Pattagucci stocked, but they didn't appeal to me. Long story short, I was feeling up some mid-range quik, vissla and o'neill suits - they all felt heavy and would probably soak up a lot of water.

Wasn't there a story about 90% (or something like that) of all wetsuits came out of the same factory.. they just slapped different logos on them? Makes sense that they all feel the same, with different tailored cuts. Fuggit, I'm this close to getting a custom yamamoto suit. One of the last Del Mar events had a Japanese company there that was doing custom orders. Anyone remember the name?
7 till 8

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Well I've put about ten sessions on my $159 Infiniti. Super comfy suit but man they sure went to crap! It leaks worse than my oneil that's over a year old!!!! What a shame.

Even if I only get a season out of it no big deal cause it was cheap.