DHD vs. JS

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
i never touched either but guessing js = backfooted board and dhd =frontfooted. as in specialization. js = parko, andy, luke egan, occy / dhd = mick etc

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Probably not, I'm a heavy front footer and JS boards go good for me. Don't think you can generalize a shapers total lineup to be "one footed". Pretty sure JS also used to work for DH at one point too.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I found my JS Monsta 6 to be a pretty balanced HPSB. Would work for just about anybody in the right waves.

JS Monstabox really liked a front-foot approach and never felt quite right for my back-foot oriented kookery.

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
course they can do boith. not talkn total lineup of rockers but think about the gents who taken a liking to one or the other. from what i seen most dhd got the low entry thing going then mostly tail rocker like everyone else. but js not so much thatta way. guys ridin em says a lot.

Reactions: daave

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
caio has been impressive since the switch to DHD, wilcox looks good at haleiwa on one too.

JS og monsta was a good board for me, the newest one i tried was the 6 which was pretty damn good too. the 8 is prolly more of the same.
also have a 5'9 monsta box, still trying to figure out if i like, some good sessions/some ok ones.?
both shapers are very very good imo.
DHD = JS

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
i never touched either but guessing js = backfooted board and dhd =frontfooted. as in specialization. js = parko, andy, luke egan, occy / dhd = mick etc
You're drawing a completely irrelevant conclusions, plus that's a really small sample size of surfers. Both are great shapers, period.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
course they can do boith. not talkn total lineup of rockers but think about the gents who taken a liking to one or the other. from what i seen most dhd got the low entry thing going then mostly tail rocker like everyone else. but js not so much thatta way. guys ridin em says a lot.
This is the difference (IMO). The JS performance boards I’ve ridden have pretty significant nose rocker that extends a long way. I’m less familiar with DHDs but the ones I’ve seen lately are as CCkeith described. I also think they’ve changed more over time than JS.

Reactions: Havoc

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
How do you generalize a shapers entire line of boards to be geared toward front or back footed surfing based on just a few guys that ride them?

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
JS is definitely more front foot friendly than DHD overall and has a wider range of board models.

when I think of DHD I think of smooth flowing rockers and balanced outlines. Both JS and DHD mostly make boards for Gold Coast waves. Steep and punchy beaches and long perfect points. Boards are very refined.

Both JS and DHD come from the Murray bourton shaping lineage For aussie boards he is the man.

depending on where you surf CI, rusty, and lost build boards better suited to California conditions. Channel Islands really has their rockers down

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This is the difference (IMO). The JS performance boards I’ve ridden have pretty significant nose rocker that extends a long way.
I prefer that sort of rocker and I instantly clicked with both JS boards I've ridden - one being a Monsta 6 and the other I can't remember.

I have found this sort of rocker consistently works well for me. Feels like riding a bike.

Was once told specifically to stay away from DHD because I would not like his rockers and if I were to ever order a Mayhem go with a board from the Driver series.

DHDs are pretty much nonexistent around here and I've never seen a Driver so no idea how accurate this is in terms of design.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I prefer that sort of rocker and I instantly clicked with both JS boards I've ridden - one being a Monsta 6 and the other I can't remember.

I have found this sort of rocker consistently works well for me. Feels like riding a bike.

Was once told specifically to stay away from DHD because I would not like his rockers and if I were to ever order a Mayhem go with a board from the Driver series.

DHDs are pretty much nonexistent around here and I've never seen a Driver so no idea how accurate this is in terms of design.
dhd boards go good in the waves they are designed for. He makes amazing boards from a design standpoint.

also many JS guys rode DHD first and DHD guys rode JS first. Owen Wright rode JS first and parko started his career on DHD boards.

fanning rides many mayhems and now Luke dorrington twin fins too

May 10, 2018
4 of my last 5 boards have been JS. They all work for me. I reckon I'm more front footed.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
You know how you look at and feel up a board and think "fark, this guy is a sculptor - an artist!" That's DHD. The curves just flow beautifully.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
You know how you look at and feel up a board and think "fark, this guy is a sculptor - an artist!" That's DHD. The curves just flow beautifully.
I posted this before , I saw 2 of Micks DHD boards a few years ago , they were the most reasonable modern HP shapes I've seen .

Andy rode his brothers JS boards and was blown away - way more reasonable versions of C.I. HP shortboards during that time creating lots of interest in those who modeled their lineup off them .

Around 2000 its very possible JS and Darren were using the same machine as both had a same certin "signature" on one side :)