Mayhem new models for 2019

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
On clist someone was selling a board called the death star.Said it was a model that hasnt come out yet.Anybody know what they are all about? Its a Blunt nosed winged swallow tail looks real fun.
I think i'd seen it in the past as one of his Japan only models

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
i know of a 5'10 rad ripper fo sale. $450
33 liters, yellow spray.....like new was too small

Reactions: Aruka

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
A local ripper who has access to virtually every board made by: CI, Lost, Chilli, Rusty, Firewire, JS, Haydenshapes (works PT at a local shop, E.T. Surf) got a custom Rad Ripper (three box only) and was going bananas on it this past weekend (we had really fun chest high+ waves). He said it had a surprisingly steep adjustment curve, but loves it and can't imagine riding anything else under shoulder high.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I imagine he wasn't alive in the 80s for the first iteration of the Rad Ripper when it was basically every short board in every shop. I had a heavily airbrushed T&C that I guess I should have hung on to.

Coming soon the Glass Slipper...

A local ripper who has access to virtually every board made by: CI, Lost, Chilli, Rusty, Firewire, JS, Haydenshapes (works PT at a local shop, E.T. Surf) got a custom Rad Ripper (three box only) and was going bananas on it this past weekend (we had really fun chest high+ waves). He said it had a surprisingly steep adjustment curve, but loves it and can't imagine riding anything else under shoulder high.

Reactions: Ifallalot

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I imagine he wasn't alive in the 80s for the first iteration of the Rad Ripper when it was basically every short board in every shop. I had a heavily airbrushed T&C that I guess I should have hung on to.

Coming soon the Glass Slipper...
Definitely was not around in the eighties. I think he's in his mid twenties. I told him the Rad Ripper reminded me of a Dennis Pang shaped T&C I had in the early 80's (1983 I think). It was my second board (a Channin double bump rounded pin single fin was my first). I wish I still had the T&C or at least a photo. It had crazy detailed airbrushing that was inspired by the video game Tempest. The board was stolen at Bathsheba beach (Soup Bowl) in Barbados. I was a very unhappy 12 year old the rest of that trip.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I wasn't really able to get out on the rad ripper enough to give it a solid review.

But I did get a chance to ride a new uber driver that I just got in varial construction.

Pretty happy with how it went. I had the initial model which rode great but wasn't really much of a groveler or wave catcher. The new model definitely works as advertised, easy-going in week waves but still shreds when you ask it to.

On a side note, the infused glass varial construction is pretty insane. The board is super super light. I'm talking 5 pounds. It's definitely lighter than the ultralight PUs I've got recently. But the deck is actually super strong and it rides nice and smooth like a poly. If you're after that ultralight poly feel and want a board that doesn't disintegrate this is definitely worth taking a look at. This is the first board I've had cut / shaped??? and glassed by varial and it seems to show. Either that or they've upped their tech.

Jun 14, 2019
On a side note, the infused glass varial construction is pretty insane. The board is super super light. I'm talking 5 pounds. It's definitely lighter than the ultralight PUs I've got recently. But the deck is actually super strong and it rides nice and smooth like a poly. If you're after that ultralight poly feel and want a board that doesn't disintegrate this is definitely worth taking a look at. This is the first board I've had cut / shaped??? and glassed by varial and it seems to show. Either that or they've upped their tech.
Boards are cut at Varial, sent to ...Lost to be shaped, and then shipped back to Varial for glassing. Same process as XTR.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I wasn't really able to get out on the rad ripper enough to give it a solid review.

But I did get a chance to ride a new uber driver that I just got in varial construction.

Pretty happy with how it went. I had the initial model which rode great but wasn't really much of a groveler or wave catcher. The new model definitely works as advertised, easy-going in week waves but still shreds when you ask it to.

I've been on a Varial (CI NB2) with Infused Glass for about four months and I'm still on the fence whether I'd get another. I agree they're really light, but I haven't been too excited about denting. I'm cool with foot wells, but mine even got some small fingertip dents on the bottom rails from duck-diving. I'm definitely not Hulk-handing the board. I've had a few boards in the hundred + boards I've had over the last 36 years do the same thing on the bottom, but I didn't pay a premium for a special tech on those.

The nice thing is the dents come out really easy with a few passes of a heat gun. I talked with Parker from Varial about it and he said it's fine as long as you're not doing it over and over, as it weakens the cells structure. I didn't worry about any deck dents, just the fingertip ones and a random one on the bottom from the bridge of my nose getting smashed from pushing off the bottom while the board was getting pushed down after a closeout barrel.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
sd_101, I wouldn't try it. I think heat works with Varial and their Infused Glass, but it'll distort/bubble and delam other constructions. I saw a kid basically make a golf-balled Surf Rx Varial look like new (I don't think it was their Infused Glass, since it was an old F-Money model). I thought I'd try taking out a kook dent on my Chilli pu/pe and it seemed like it was working until it didn't. I got a 1/4" high bubble that eventually went flush, but it looked like sh!t (yellowed/hazy).