Self-Shaped Boards, Let’ See ‘em

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Another one I started on today
View attachment 81594View attachment 81595
gonna cut a deep swallow or maybe just another moontail...
I hope you take this the right way. Not as a criticism, but just trying to be helpful;
Since you've already worked in the concave, and sanded it, I'm assuming your are done with the bottom? Your stringer is still high, and your sanding is pretty rough. Screens come in different grits, and it looks like you're stopping at 150 grit. Take it to 220, and finish with paper. Also, the sanding marks are a bit disorganized. Smooth and longer stroke is what you are after.

Reactions: kookEcho
Dec 23, 2018
Venice California
I hope you take this the right way. Not as a criticism, but just trying to be helpful;
Since you've already worked in the concave, and sanded it, I'm assuming your are done with the bottom? Your stringer is still high, and your sanding is pretty rough. Screens come in different grits, and it looks like you're stopping at 150 grit. Take it to 220, and finish with paper. Also, the sanding marks are a bit disorganized. Smooth and longer stroke is what you are after.
Thanks for the tips! Definitely not even close to done with the bottom yet. Used the planer and hit it with a sanding block at 60 grit. Gonna take it up to 220 later on with the sponge egg crate thing. Also plan on adding a deeper double with a little vee out the tail. And yes thank you I have been trying to work on nose to tail but it’s my 6th board so the order I do things is still kinda all over the place lol. Shaping in my friends bay so I was limited on time and only had an hour to work with. Gonna try to finish it off tomorrow hopefully.

Last edited:

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 11.11.08 AM.png

Handshape #1

4'10" x 22" x 2.5"

Hull (which I put in going way farther back than intended) to flat to single out the tail.

Board is weird but has moments of brilliance and definitely goes fast which was the primary goal.

Really enjoyed (and was occasionally incredibly frustrated by) the process.

Boards shaped by real shapers should definitely cost more.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Great stuff guys. Gdaddy that bottom one looks sweet. Is that a cloth of some sort on the deck side?
Hemp inlay. It's supposedly stronger for its weight than wood. I let the resin set too much on the above. The hemp is extremely difficult to cut (very tough) once that happens so my cutlap wasn't very clean. That's why I hid it under the pinline, which I normally don't use. Here's one I did without the pinline. I also made some fins to go with the 2+1 above.

fins.jpg

DSC06377.JPG

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
You're getting there. But take advantage of the sidelights. Do you see the wiggley shadow lines from dark to light? Those are wiggles in the shape. If you haven't glassed it yet, fix those. When you glass it, all those bumps and wiggled are where you are going to sand through.

Take a look at Bud's picture from the previous page. The rail shot of the board in the racks. See how flawless the rail shadow is? That's what you want.

Never try to fix a goof in the next step.

Reactions: GDaddy and kookEcho

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hemp inlay. It's supposedly stronger for its weight than wood. I let the resin set too much on the above. The hemp is extremely difficult to cut (very tough) once that happens so my cutlap wasn't very clean. That's why I hid it under the pinline, which I normally don't use. Here's one I did without the pinline. I also made some fins to go with the 2+1 above.

View attachment 81659

View attachment 81657
Ever try to cut kevlar?