Recent content by weskussurfer

1. W

How many sessions do you give a new board

Kind of related; my experience is that the dud boards were ones that required a goldilocks fin setup to work sufficiently that it did not bog both rails at the same time. The keepers (from fish to hpsb to lb) are/were the ones that work(ed) irrespective of fin setup. Fins just emphasizing...
  2. W

Recs to replace CI Black/White?

Thanks I'll keep a look out for one. I can imagine the Two Happy being a good DD as they toned down the Happy. Local shop had an OG Happy in my dims which they offered to me at a heavily discounted price but it looked like a very refined good wave HPSB. I would also have had to acquire set(s) of...
  3. W

So I ordered same dims stock B+W. It was about a 3 month gap between riding oldie and newie during which I rode Rusty twin fin and LBs and no HPSB thrusters. From the first wave on the newie on a punchy overhead day it was like a pair of well-loved flip flops and it just clicked. Still a game...
  4. W

South Africa / J Bay

Totally worth it (but I'm biased). All good intel mentioned above. Some other points to bear in mind: The drive from Durban to Jeffreys Bay is pretty intense. From Port Shepstone to Kokstad, it's windy uphill mountain passes frequented by logging trucks. You will get stuck behind one at some...
  5. W

*** Official Fin Thread ***

I use/have used this adapter. Largest fin I've jammed in there being a size small/ PC3 thruster trailer. No issues. Jammed the operative word as it is a tight fit to get it in.
  6. W

Pyzel Pyzalien

Yes. Pals ride their Pyzaliens in everything from slopey longboard spots to punchy a-frame beachies.
  7. W

Pyzel Pyzalien

agreed, good board. 2 of my pals who own PyzAliens both say the board 'surfs itself'. Can see it in their surfing too, less flapping and bum wiggling. Rode one of the abovementioned at about 8-10l more than I normally ride and it was still loose and pivotty off the top. First impression...
  8. W

CI Fever or Pyzel Ghost

From a limited sample of 2 over-sized Pyzels, they really don't seem sensitive to over-sizing. I usually surf 23-24l, and I rode a Gremlin and OG Pyzalien in 34-36l range (with Large quad fins to boot) in waist to head high slopey/longboard waves and was amazed that they were both still...
  9. W

I know, right? I've always said if anything happened to the B+W that I'd replace it in a heartbeat. But I'm a Design Forum lurker with a wandering eye.
  10. W

Why not the Fever? I see you also ride one.
  11. W

Got the smaller CF Tyler Warren (Akila Aipa look-alikes) for sleeker/stretched out Rusty Twin Fin (5'7" @ 23,8l). Really good fin choice for lightweights. Ample hold and acceleration off the bottom and pivot off the top. Was a bit unnerving coming off the bottom into the lip at such speed but...
  12. W

My OTR YOLO was stolen out of my car on Friday afternoon :-/ Stock 5'8" (23,3l) CI Black/White that I clicked with from the first wave. Worked in anything with a bit of curve thigh high to overhead. It was a game changer for me so I'm pretty inclined to just order a repeat. But I thought I'd...
  13. W

Picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks.
  14. W

Thanks guys. I see there's a smaller Captain Fin Tyler Warren fin that is a spittting image of the Akila Aipas. Useful for the FCS faithful. Easier for me to get my hands on the CF vs the Futures or 3D versions. Will try them out and report back to the erBB for other lightweights.
  15. W

what's the consensus re: T1 in thermotech? I'm 135lbs and going to use them in a hp twin.