Recent content by weskussurfer

1. W

Longest you have waited for a custom order?

"longest": 7 weeks and still counting for the local rep of a US-based brand to give me the price for a particular model. numerous assurances that revised materials costing and pricing will be ready 'tomorrow'. quickest: 9 days from order to board in my hands, Smith shapes. the 9 days included...
  2. W

*** Official Fin Thread ***

Since we're talking Captain Fin... Has anyone tried the CF Josh Hall twin fins? I recall double foiled fins don't get much love around here. It would be for this board: https://www.lifestylesurfshop.co.za/product-page/ferral-retro-fish-blue-and-red. ignore bottom deck picture (way distorted).
  3. W

Medium vs. Large Fins

I would ditch the quad and put a Greenough Power Blade in. Place it around middle of the box or slightly aft of middle where you know that you'll comfortably place your rear foot on top of it. The flex/twist loading/unloading of that fin is real if even a lightweight like me can feel it.
  4. W

The ultimate Duffy fin give away….

I'm your weight divided by 6 (multiplied by 10) which means your generous giveaways would be way too big for me but I want to play along: DHD thrusters futures.
  5. W

Can we talk about Channel Islands?

Anyone felt up or ridden the CI log? Looks like an approachable interpretation of a log without the need for moustache wax and cuffed skinny jeans.
  6. W

Personal Locator Beacons

something like this: https://www.nsri.org.za/water-safety/safetrx/ using track only mode.
  7. W

Pyzel Pyzalien

Interesting fin experiences. I find my P2 has a good combo of built-in drive, hold, and pivot as-is so doesn't require a specific fin preference to compensate/accommodate board design features. So for me fin choice depends on which part of the combo I want to accentuate. I'm on the cusp of S...
  8. W

Long Fish vs Mid Length

Please get (and review) a Party Crasher next. :waving: asking for a friend...
  9. W

modern longboard dims?

Not disputing that there a lot of variants of the Greenough 4a out there (and for good reason), but checking out the logs lined up on the beach during the Duct Tape Invitational and local log contests the fin choice was all over the spectrum. Equal mix of 4a's, raked pivot, upright hatchets, etc...
  10. W

modern longboard dims?

to use a bicycle analogy: logs are easier to turn when they are 'on a glide' (my shitty term) i.e. they have reached a minimum speed and commensurate momentum. I don't know... maybe once they are on glide they lift sufficiently out the water to be turnable? Easiest way to visualize this...
  11. W

Tomo MPH

I have a local variant of c-drive quad trailers. Highly recommend. Extended bases gives you that instant drive/'get up and go' of a quad. The thinned out tip makes it easy to pivot/release when you apply sufficient back foot pressure, whereas a typically quad can get tracky or more drawn out on...
  12. W

Can we talk about Channel Islands?

The pairing a lot want to see again (Kelly on a CI... at J Bay): https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10160728523424471&set=gm.3232138413757265&idorvanity=1458907877747003
  13. W

Pyzel White Tiger

I would go one size up for a legit shortboard/dd/step down/fish quiver killer. My recent P2 acquisition is precisely the 24.1L stock 5'6" but I'm 132lbs 45 y/o. Above average fitness. I have surfed it in knee high curvy wedges, onshore mushburgers, peaky a-frames and today pitchy overhead...
  14. W

Current quoted wait times...

2 weeks for a Pyzalien 2 with colour spray in ZA. I should probably cross post this on the Pyzalien and leash string threads. Leash string: 1. colour coordinated to pull the alien logo and the pad together 2. double looped 3. ends burnt Pad pulls leash string, black leash and silver fins...
  15. W

Cape Town SA - erBB wisdom?

Where are you staying? Do you have transport? It is summer time so some spots are exponentially busier than the rest of the year. Water is also colder and much more wind so pack a hood/chicken vest of your choosing. The exposed beachies can handle the predominant wind and you can basically...