Recent content by San Gabriel Valley local

1. S

*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

Good choice. I used an SWD Long Haul 35 on my Whitney hike...although it has way more volume than I needed for the hike, for longer day hikes I prefer to carry weight on my hips, so I used it as a day pack. Really looking forward to some overnights with this pack, light, comfortable, plenty of...
  2. S

Just looked up Uintas...wow! Let's touch base soon, we're trying to put together a get away to your neck of the woods, possibly towards the end of the month.
  3. S

I think those are the Hitchcock Lakes and Guitar Lake is just to the north out of site. The view is gorgeous, here is another from a few years ago, the reflection on the still water was just stunning:
  4. S

Yes, definitely! It's funny because while I was hiking yesterday I was wondering whether you guys had been hiking as well. Temps should be cooling off soon...hopefully good hiking weather in the fall.
  5. S

Yes, I got a day hike permit in the regular lottery. It's possible to get permits if you watch recreation.gov...they show up when people cancel but get snatched up right away.
  6. S

Yes...just posted some pics!
  7. S

Some pics from my Mt Whitney day hike yesterday (Aug. 31st). Spent a few days in Mammoth Lakes to acclimate. Almost called off the day hike because of the smoke issues from the fires in the Sequoia National Forest, but from the forecasts it looked like there was going to be a window of...
  8. S

Wouldn't be too difficult and there probably won't be much of a ranger presence on the trail either!
  9. S

Not much, just trying to ward off old age!
  10. S

Not sure when you're leaving afoaf, but smoke has been an issue this week: https://fire.airnow.gov/?lat=36.951880000000074&lng=-118.57926999999995&zoom=12 (I've got a day hike permit for Mt Whitney on 8/31 and have been keeping an eye on the conditions.)