Recent content by Sam_K

1. Sam_K

Varial RIP

I have a $200 credit for Varial that they gave me after one of their boards had an unplanned catastrophic failure on the first ride. I'd like to get something for this credit. I'll trade it for an Amazon gift certificate or some PayPal money like $50 or $100 or something. Or just buy me...
  2. Sam_K

Pyzel Phantom struggles

I've only surfed mine ~6 times but this seems accurate to me. The Phantom is more HP than I was expecting. More daily driver for decent waves than groveler.
  3. Sam_K

Jim Banks

Pyzel factory just burned down a few weeks ago. I drove past the site this morning though and it looks like they're already rebuilding. I'd also love to try Banks' Twin Pin, looks rad.
  4. Sam_K

Jim Banks

I feel your sorrow. I had a Gary McNeill gun in this reddish/pink that looked fantastic! So I ordered a Carrera in the same color but instead it came out bubble gum, barbie dream-mo-bile HOT PINK. So sad. I ended up having it painted, I just couldn't pull it off.
  5. Sam_K

*** Official 2023 Community Surf Journal ***

Schrödinger's swell this morning Flat, flat, flat eerily flat ------ DOUBLE OVERHEAD PLUS CLEANUP SET Flat, flat, flat, even flatter, slightly darker black flat ------- DEATH Fun times. It's so easy to surf when it's like that
  6. Sam_K

I haven't seen the manager of the local surf shop recently. I guessed he was taking a long trip in the Mentawais or something but no... Just saw him in the lineup today for the first time since June and he said he was out for 2 months with a busted ear drum. He didn't even get drug deep, he...
  7. Sam_K

I love a Good "Good Book" thread

haha anything by McCarthy is excellent. The Orchard Keeper being one of the few books of his I haven't read yet. I hope you enjoy it.
  8. Sam_K

I love a Good "Good Book" thread

Demon Copperhead was epic
  9. Sam_K

RNF '96 or Twinsman?

I ultimately sold my Twinsman. I had a 5'11 and the problem for me was that it likes such a good wave, that by the time it's pumping enough to really get the most out of that board I don't really want to be on a 5'11. If I could do over I would get a stretched out Twinsman to 6'4 maybe. Can't...
  10. Sam_K

Big day. Took a few beat downs but I was wearing an impact vest and those things make such a difference. I only wear it when it's proper, I don't like the idea of becoming reliant on the vest, but on the ~8 sessions a year I do wear one it's pure luxury just floating to the surface after a...
  11. Sam_K

Album Surfboards

After much experimentation I've settled on running mine as a quad too. yeah the insanity really wants some swell doesn't it? in my experience it's much closer to high performance than daily driver
  12. Sam_K

Album Surfboards

What fin setup do you use for your insanity?
  13. Sam_K

Surfboard glassing

If you stop by Bali lemme know, we can go out for a surf as long as you don't mind waking up early
  14. Sam_K

Surfboard glassing

I usually get 646 for my step ups. Would get 44/6 for my good wave shorties most of the time too. At the far extreme, I got one of my guns glassed 6664 and that was too much. One thing that doesn't get talked about enough imo is epoxy resin. In my experience it noticeably reduces weight and...
  15. Sam_K

First good big wave session I've had in ages. I caught a bunch of great waves, not a single closeout to be found. Out at the bombie got caught and took 2 big sets on the head back to back, by the end of which I was approaching an area of mild concern, being an exhausted oxygen deprived mess...