Recent content by pterodroma

1. P

Various ride reports

It appears that you travel a fair but, but how on earth do you average 2-3 surfs a week living in Germany?!
  2. P

DHD MF Eclipse

The premium for a Pyzel branded board compared to a local shaper is not that much. You have a better chance of selling/trading a big brand board if needed (still expect heavy depreciation though). Lots of UK surfers are relatively high income adult learners. Everything is expensive in the UK...
  3. P

DHD MF Eclipse

Homeblown are no more as far as I know, so possibly no UK blown blanks these days. I think a PU Ocean Magic/Pyzel will be a Burford blank & seabase supply US blanks... So we probably pay hefty import costs for raw materials here.
  4. P

The new Christenson Wolverine

Yes have been tempted by one of them myself, but just grabbed a Bali import Jim Banks magic carpet off the rack for instant gratification instead so will surf that first... Good to know, thanks! Of course the volan patch puts another 10% on the cost as well which, if you do get a dud, makes it...
  5. P

I'm in the UK so, the above. Stuff coming out of Co.Lab looks pretty good too. DownTheLine import a bunch of stuff from Aus (e.g. JS, DHD) as well as the Pukas stuff. I'm mostly on customs from local shapers at the moment though. Funnily enough I was very close to pulling the trigger on a...
  6. P

They are pretty notorious for quality issues. I have had a few solid boards from them and a few that were apparently made of cheese... Too risky for me now, given the prices.
  7. P

Catch Surf Opinion

A softboard isn't going to make surfing shitty waves fun. For marginal days, I would echo the above, stubby quads have always worked well for me in English beachbreak/junk. Lots of good options in the SW from the bigger factories and one man bands. The key to surfing in the UK is to basically...