Recent content by nwjkordel

1. N

Pasta

Trader Joes brown rice & quinoa pasta isn't too bad and will lower the simple carb glucose spike. She might want to check out the glucose goddess on instagram to learn tricks and hacks that can help reduce her blood sugar risk. By the way, eating a hefty high fiber salad before indulging in...
  2. N

Twinzer asym?

I've never had an asym but have had several twinzers. Echoing some contributors above for the toe side I'd bring it up to 9 or 9.5 given your foot placement and board length. My gut says be wary of getting too much shift between healside/toeside fins since there's still going to be some overall...
  3. N

*** Official 2023 Community Surf Journal ***

I may have seen you? I happened to be driving north from California Thursday. Lots of swell. I surfed the spot right in town just after high tide. Too much water at first but as the tide dropped the lefts down the beach started to really turn on. Got some really fun ones. Next day I surfed...
  4. N

*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Dang - was supposed to be a big la nina with more snow than avg up here in the northern Cascades. Instead, you all have been getting the goods with southern storm tracks so far. I'm hopeful that the storm tracks start trending northward as the winter progresses. We'll see. Relative to chain up...
  5. N

Yeah, that's definitely true. In very general terms, continental snow packs develop deep weak layers due to the following - relatively shallow snow pack, low density snow, longer breaks between significant snow storms and colder temperatures. In the San Juan's the air temps are generally well...
  6. N

I've never been to wolf creek but I've spent a fair amount of time at Crested Butte as well as ski touring surrounding peaks which is probably pretty similar. While the dry snow is super fun and when it is deep it is truly dreamy. But the lingering instability of the snow pack is definitely a...
  7. N

You're in the Rockies, right? The continental snowpack you have can be very spooky relative to instability. Great dry pow but deep weak layers come with that. I've been throwin bombs at Alpental in WA state since '95 so I've seen my fair share of sliding snow. The marine snowpack of coastal...
  8. N

This is so true. Skiing and snowboarding have always been somewhat of an elitist sport but today's costs cement this. As a kid I was able to ski with friends on weekends via "ski school" and it was somewhat affordable. A generation later, my kids snowboarded because I did but the vast majority...
  9. N

Twinzer Feedback?

I'm a big fan of Dane's boards and twinzers too. I also have a long career in aerospace wing edges which influences my take on this design. I think of twinzers working very similar to double and triple slotted flaps on an airplane. If you look out the window of any commercial flight you'll see...
  10. N

The past couple of weeks have been really fun in WA state. Not riding today but tomorrow should be really good. Quote from Mtn Weather Forecast; Snow will continue today, with snowfall rates peaking for the northern Cascades this morning, the central/southern WA Cascades this afternoon, and the...
  11. N

*** Official Vans Pipe Masters Contest Thread ***

I'm with sponge on this one. This is surfing. I would wager that most of these visitors probably had it coming to them one way or another.
  12. N

***Official 2022 Community Surf Journal***

Winter's here. 1st surf of the season while snowing. A little too warm to stick to the beach. Waves were pretty blah but always pretty cool to surf in a snowstorm. Needed gloves today and that will probably last until April. So much extra effort to paddle w/ gloves. Shock to the system compared...
  13. N

Pyzel Ghost?

I agree w/ this. Maybe this outline better suited for west coast? https://surfprescriptions.com/collections/boards/products/g-money-ii?variant=32109356482700
  14. N

Legendary surfer/shaper reviews Firewire Surfboards

I remember BASE in Torquay. I worked in Melbourne for 4 years from 2005-2009. After the airlines completely destroyed one of my boards I bought a few boards from BASE off the rack. This is unusual for me since I typically order custom or make my own. I had never seen anything like BASE -...
  15. N

***Official 2022 Community Surf Journal***

Had a great run of surf the past 12 days mostly on the north shore of the garden isle. Can’t believe how nice it is to surf without being encased in my normal hooded 5/4 and booties. I packed light with a small board bag to keep things simple and have been super happy with 6’1 and 6’5 Doc Lausch...