Recent content by Mr J

1. M

*** Official Griffin Surfboards Thread ***

Not in front of the fins no. Between and rear of the fins. At the spray root is where I think it crosses the stringer.
  2. M

Ear plugged

I was born with ear canals the size of a capillary tube. For the first 5 years of my life I was partially deaf from hardened wax sealing my canals. It got removed by a surgeon and I had to have all sort of wax softening remedies all my life to manage it - olive oil in my younger days. Its...
  3. M

If you want to go wide with a concave making it a double or V double is one solution. On the downstream side of the V there will be line of low pressure which helps reduce uncontrollable lift. Although @One-Off observantly noticed that the Camber surfboards underwater camera did not show flow...
  4. M

@One-Off I did a very brief experiment when I had finished washing my wetty today. Brief because I was getting cold. I dragged a plastic spoon across the surface of the water in my washing bucket. I was holding it by the end of the handle and dragging lengthwise applying a little downward...
  5. M

So I think a skimboard rail grips well (only when banked in deep water) for two reasons. 1. Because I believe it is the flat bottom that creates the hold, then the hard edge extends that holding surface right up to the perimeter of the rail. i.e maximises the available holding surface. 2. The...
  6. M

This is where Senor Sopa and myself disagree. Link to my belief here *** Official Griffin Surfboards Thread *** | SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy Surfer, Photos, Video, and Forecasting and here *** Official Griffin Surfboards Thread *** | SURFER Magazine Forum | Surf News, Fantasy...
  7. M

Secret Sauce

I am on a very exposed part of the VIC coast. Very rare to get too small to short board although it does get small - like yesterday arvo I surfed waist high open ocean. There have been a few days of too small to short board which is unusual, but I hadn’t considered it as a lack of surf winter...
  8. M

Secret Sauce

Yes that's right @jkb , rocker does not scale proportionally to board length (i.e letting the shape3d or AKU software do the scaling) across the full range that manufacturers offer which can span 1' or so. Otherwise the longest stock dims would have too much rocker. Same with width - the longer...
  9. M

Thruster fin placement

With thrusters there is also difference between front and rear- bigger the difference the stiffer the board
  10. M

panda shiitake HP

https://www.instagram.com/tv/ChYU2z8BQuU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link Nice description from Maurice Cole on the hull contours of his updated reverse V/Protow. Correlates exactly with my thoughts on vee Vs concave in the front section of the board. I still maintain that for a daily driver HPSB...
  11. M

The Skaters of the ERBB

Everyone's ability and situation is different. For me to take up MTB safely now, is out of the question - I was never good on a bike. Snowboard riskier than skateboard for me. My skateboard injury toll is 2 broken collar bones and a slightly displaced AC joint - left shoulder. AC joint not...
  12. M

The Skaters of the ERBB

@oneworlded , that was an enjoyable read. It was written in 2019, so which road did you take?
  13. M

The Skaters of the ERBB

14. M

The Skaters of the ERBB

I am dividing my time roughly equally between "skating" and surfing at the moment. Skated yesterday morning, surfed yesterday arvo with a quick lunchtime skate. 2 surfs and a quick lunchtime skate today. I call it skating anyway, I think a few people here wouldn't consider it that. Board on the...
  15. M

That's for the front fins. One of the reasons the thruster is the standard used in competition is the ability to break free that rear fin and allow tight snaps. Quads tend to produce a more rounded turn, canards either side of the rear fin would (I guess) tend to produce a rounded turn instead...