Recent content by montygoesbananas

1. M

XL fins anyone? Gabby content

I’m 6’4” and 95kg have found the mick fannings in large to be a great option for a bigger guy for FCS2. A little bit less area than fins listed above but 36 degree sweep adds some hold, narrower tip still allows release when you push hard. Keen to give the Filipe fins a go for a slightly more...
  2. M

XTR Breakage?

5-6’ plus Ments will eat any construction for breakfast if you are in the wrong place wrong time which for your average surfer is more than likely to happen at least once on the trip. Some guys go through 3 boards in a trip. I’ve been lucky every time I’ve been to Indo to come back with all my...
  3. M

Shortie

Last couple days in east coast aus have been pumping, been out on the shortie a fair bit for first time in a while. Surfing it on a right hand point break to a bit overhead and this morning a chunky doh left beachy. Can confirm this is a really nice good wave board, carries speed and flows well...
  4. M

How should a shaper handle this?

I have an old board now donated to my son with fcs2 boxes I had been running with old fcs1 fins, over a couple of years of putting fins in and out again I managed to strip a thread in one of the boxes. Found that some futures grub screws with wider diameter did a great job of creating a new...
  5. M

How many surfs before you ditch a board?

Reforest you know those endorfins float don’t you!!! ;) Hopefully goes good for you.
  6. M

HPSB 2034

Sami Pupo looking pretty fast at Bells on one of those JS carbotune tech boards, definitely seemed to be going a bit quicker than Leo in the heat and bit of surface chop too. R Cal on the standard and trusted JS in pu
  7. M

How many surfs before you ditch a board?

Agree with the consensus board looks pretty good but try mucking around with fins a bit. Maybe a more normal thruster set to try and get a more vertical approach and be a bit less squirelly, or more conventional quad set. I wouldnt be bailing until you’ve at least tried a couple of different fin...
  8. M

HPSB 2034

I also genuinely like the feel of a light eps board in clean conditions but yeah they aren’t as good in choppy wind affected waves as a pu.
  9. M

HPSB 2034

My quiver is half standard pu and half eps/epoxy. I weigh 95kg and in my experience the eps/epoxy builds are stronger and live a fair bit longer than the many pu builds I have had over the years. If I were a pro I would love to have a whole quiver in pu and glassed light and get constant...
  10. M

Tomo MPH

Really, wow. I havent ridden a Vader or vanguard, but they are nearly an inch narrower than evo/revo at same volume for me. That would be far narrower than any HPSB I ride, so have always thought of these boards as being much more hp than groveller.
  11. M

Surfboard volume = your weight / 6

It’s bang on for me at 95kg 210lbs and preferring 35L boards. I add a litre or so for my step ups which generally also crosses over with wearing a wetsuit and colder water in Aus. My small wave boards actually a bit less foam but ridding the Tomo mph you can get away with a bit less.
  12. M

Tomo MPH

The red one. Love the look of the round tail has myself
  13. M

Tomo MPH

I ride a 5’9” revo and have just recently got the new basalt cymatic (not ridden yet) same size. I’m 6’4” tall so these come in just under chin height which is the sizing that Tomo recommends. Plenty of rail length in the water on the 5’9” for me. My other boards are a 6’2” SKX which is my daily...
  14. M

Tomo MPH

What models are they talking, DA SKX would be all time
  15. M

Boards Ridden in 2023

5’9” Tomo revo - love this board in 2-4’ beaches and point waves with a softer face 6’00” ESP vortex - my sons board now but I steal it back every now and then 6’02” Tomo SKX - go to for most sessions, still my favourite board in the quiver after 5 years, ride it as a quad 6’4” Chilli Shortie RT...