Recent content by KPindaOC

1. K

Step Up Mentawai

If you guys think that’s insane you should see the bar tabs from the Aussies on our trip. 8 of them filled up the tally sheet with 40+ bintangs each by the time I left and they were only halfway through their 14 day stay. Not to mention the bottles of Johnnie Walker they dusted and packs of cigs...
  2. K

Step Up Mentawai

I wore neither but was definitely careful kicking out before waves closed out on the inside. After my first session on arrival day, I quickly learned not to go after the first wave in a set and get dragged over the reef. Definitely took a few good ones on the head on some of the big days. One...
  3. K

Step Up Mentawai

That’s the one. We surfed the left, right, and A frame quite a bit since most people opted for other spots. Never surfed with more than 5 other people except when the wind was from the North and blew most other waves out. But then it goes offshore there so it’s a tradeoff. You can definitely...
  4. K

Step Up Mentawai

Not nearly as much as I thought I would. The proper barrel setups were often super crowded (Hideaways, Kandui, Rifles) so I didn’t go on those boats much. There were a few days at camp where the nearby right hand barrel was kind of working but nothing more than head dips. Some ballsy Aussies got...
  5. K

Step Up Mentawai

I actually tried to keep a detailed trip report like I saw someone else here do but between 2-3 sessions a day for 10 days, I was exhausted. Trip was amazing. Mentawais are amazing. Waves in every direction so somewhere is always offshore no matter wind direction. Highly recommend Shadow...
  6. K

Travel Medical Insurance for surf injuries overseas?

Answering this while I await my flight from Jakarta to Padang. I booked my travel insurance (medical only) through Dawson Insurance. Very easy to connect and they’ll walk you through all the options. Know them from insurance for long range fishing trips. I paid $85 and I think with trip...
  7. K

Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Can confirm. Board felt stiffer in 2-3ft Trestles surf with the EAs and I couldn’t figure out why. Especially because the construction was the same with the same inside foil. Just checked the center fins and can confirm Machados are smaller which explains it.
  8. K

Huh. I just checked and you’re right. So I’m not crazy. In that case I’ll throw the EAs in the bag for my Ments trip next week.
  9. K

I really like the Machado Blackstix in my 5’7” Flare. WCTs as well. I don’t know why but I didn’t really click with the EA Blackstix which are almost the same outline as the Machados.
  10. K

XTR

Got to watch one of your guys (forget his name) finishing up a Free Scrubber and he was super nice and knowledgeable. Really cool dude and wouldn’t hesitate to order a board from him.
  11. K

Sultwin paddles great. Not of fan in small 2-3ft waves but around chest-HH+ point waves it’s so fun, especially when you’re dealing with a crowd. So easy on my forehand that it feels like I’m not really improving that much, but then again improving is overrated. Having fun where it’s at...
  12. K

Step Up Mentawai

I’m not crazy particular about my fins. Most of my boards are futures so I like the Machado Blackstix and WCT in my Flare, Lovelace keels in my Sultwin, K2s in my Sunstone. FCS AM3 or MF2 in the Blindspot. Really like MF2s and wish I could find a similar thin glass fin in futures. Will try...
  13. K

Step Up Mentawai

Going in two weeks. Will update when I'm on the trip. 5'6" x 170lbs x 29yrs 5'8" x 19.75" x 2.375" Stamps Flare as my DD around N.LA. Even when it gets bigger, haven't felt it necessary to step up. Mostly use a 5'10" x 18.375" x 2.375" Stamps Blindspot for good waves when I'm abroad...
  14. K

Flying to Padang from the US

LAX -> Tokyo -> Jakarta -> Padang 21hrs to Jakarta then 5hr layover till Padang flight. Doing this in a few weeks. I like traveling but not really looking forward to this one. No tips other than book your flights early. Could have saved $500 if I booked a month ago.
  15. K

The California Channel Islands

I’ve backpacked Santa Rosa a few times and actually scored a backcountry spot on the SW part of the island the last time. Really sucky 13 mile hike from the pier because you have to pack in all your water. Three days of water and a surfboard on my pack ended up being probably 60+ pounds. Lucky...