Recent content by jmh

1. J

NJ Question

Used to surf States Ave. in AC back in the day (1972-1976). It was the premier break in South Jersey at the time, or close to it. I never hear anything about States anymore. Is it still good? Did the shortening of the Garden Pier cause its downfall?
  2. J

Finnegan's Latest New Yorker Treatise - Mr Lenny.

Read BD a few weeks ago. Loved it and immediately re-read it. Early years was great, lots of stuff I (and apparently everyone else) could relate to. Then he goes on the grand tour and shames me for my timid approach to surfing and life in general. The riveting descriptions of waves and...
  3. J

5 summer stories, 50th anniversary.

Saw it in some legion hall in Seaside. Heights, NJ, in the summer of 1972. Sat next to a guy with his foxy girlfriend. Turns out we were both going to go to Stockton State College in the fall. "Need a roommate?" DL became my best friend. It was the start of my tenure as a States Avenue local...
  4. J

Vin Scully

The best. We're lucky to have been here to hear him. Class act all the way.
  5. J

U.S. Open Huntington

Looked at the pier cam Mon morning and it was brutal. Close period s swell sets, 90% overhead closeouts, and an arm-burning, relentless current ripping thru the pier piling.The kids that went out in that surf have my full respect. If there wasn't a contest NO ONE would've been out here on the...
  6. J

Finnegan's Latest New Yorker Treatise - Mr Lenny.

To leave the temple.
  7. J

How many times has your car been robbed while surfing?

1974, in A.C, NJ. States Ave dirt lot, right by the boardwalk ramp. Was checking it at the water's edge, looked back and saw a kid eyeing me from the boardwalk. Got a feeling something was up and started running back to the car. Came back to the boardwalk in time to see a pair of 13 year olds...
  8. J

Southern California offshore oil production facility leaks 126,000 gallons - HB cancels air show

What gets me is the instant hyper freakout. "Massive" oil spill was the banner on every TV station. three days later they show 8 hazmat-clad guys walking around the HB cliffs looking for something to pick up. I'm not happy about the spill, but the rush to pull the croak chain (and blame the...
  9. J

Lavallette in the '60s

There were two shops, Keller's and Custom Surf Shop. Custom was run by a hustler-looking guy named Joe Simo, I think. He sold a line of boards called Dusty Rhodes Surfboards that claimed to have been made in Manhattan Beach, Ca. (or did the logo just say "Manhattan Beach"?) I never saw a Dusty...
  10. J

Surfer Ears 3.0...

I never tried Christmas trees. The "arm" that goes into your ear canal on my plugs is blobby and rounded. The plug itself is about as soft as an eraser. It has never caused discomfort. Westone is a reputable company. They get their work from audiologists. I assume safety is a major concern
  11. J

Surfer Ears 3.0...

The audiologist squirts a quick-set foam into your ears. They pop it out and send them to be made. I'd say the plug goes into your ear canal about a quarter inch. They're comfortable. You can hear. Water gets past the plug but your body warms that water so it doesn't cause the exotosis as much...
  12. J

Surfer Ears 3.0...

I got customs from the audiologist made by Westone. I've been wearing the same pair for at least 15 years. They're on a leash. I attach the leash to a twine necklace with a plastic split ring. A heavy wipe will usually dislodge one but they've never popped off the leash. The $ per use is pretty...
  13. J

East Coast Flatness

Looking at the Mantoloking cam today I wonder: Is there any other open ocean coastline that gets as flat as the NE East Coast? The flatness of the surf seems extraordinary. I know, the place can be fantastic, this isn't a dis, but it's hard to believe that such a huge body of water can be so...
  14. J

Around Cape Horn in 1920

WOW! Awesome shots and commentary. Balls of steel. Thanks for posting this gem.
  15. J

Alex Knost?

The Sunshine Inn! I saw the Allman Brothers with Duane there in 1970 (?). Opening act was Dr Zoom and the Sonic Boom, some Springsteen project. That building was made of wood and you could feel the vibrations of the music from the outside if you touched the walls.I'm 17, high on something, and...